PDA

View Full Version : Mandriva install of show EQ

whiterain
01-24-2007, 07:02 AM
I have not found any references to installing showeq on a mandriva linux box, if there are such instructions here someplace can someone point me to them and if not can someone help me out with some how to s on this? Also I am wondering about the maps, the downloads listed show the maps that are there to be downloaded have not been updated in years. Does this not pose a problem or has showeq been updated to to read the latest maps users are able to download from mapfiend? I guess people normally coming to this site are not new to linux as I am because I don't see the questions I have being asked thus far. I think programs like this would be used by more people if it were not so difficult to make them work. Its a bit of a turnoff.

Lost in Linux

thanks for any help

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-24-2007, 08:52 AM
In the past, that was the point. The developers didn't want it widely used. Now it's a little more liniant, with RPMs generated for things, etc.

But it should be compilable on any box as long as you have the required packages installed.

There was a README file somewhere showing which packages were needed. If that can't be found, you should be able to download the source and try to do a ./configure and based on its output, figure out what you need.

I never heard of Mandriva myself, anyone know what it's based off of? Maybe the RPMs will work fine for him.

Backspace
01-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Mandriva used to be Mandrake. Most current release is Mandriva 2007.

Make sure you have the devel package installed in addition to main package.

With Mandriva 2007, I had to install these packages after the OS install:
libgdbm3-1.8.3-3mdv2007.0
libgdbm3-devel-1.8.3-3mdv2007.0
libpcap0-0.9.1-2mdk
libpcap0-devel-0.9.1-2mdk

Should be a snap using the "urpmi" command, just as long as source locations are set.
If you're not sure, visit http://easyurpmi.zarb.org and follow the instructions.

Reference this post for downloading and installing showeq:
http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5781

Hope this helps and good hunting.

Cryonic
01-24-2007, 11:14 PM
the map file format hasn't changed in ages. In fact the one used by EQ is a variation on the one that SEQ uses.

tanner
01-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Can get a tarball of maps here:
ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/pool/non-free/s/showeq-maps

Same URL you can get the debian packge of the maps and use alien to convert it to a rpm.

whiterain
01-27-2007, 08:23 PM
do the maps have to be converted or use them as they are when downloaded from mapfiend. or is there a better place for the most current maps?

purple
01-28-2007, 07:12 AM
I read somewhere that tanner has a tarball of maps available somewhere. I think at the same URL you can get the debian package of the maps and use alien to convert it to a rpm also.

It would take hours, maybe years, to find the post where he gives the URL though.

BlueAdept
01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Snicker.... :D