PDA

View Full Version : install

whiterain
02-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Is it no longer necessary to do anything to the everquest maps downloaded from mapfiend to make them work with seq? Can I just put them in a folder inside the showeq folder called maps?

A lot of the info concerning this topic seems vague so having a bit more detail to the how tos would be great for those of us who's first run of linux is based on how we get a program like showeq to work.

purple
02-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Could you ask your question 3 or 4 more times, please.

Right now, if you want drop in maps, you get them from Tanner's deb repo. You can get a tarball there. He told you that the first time you asked this question like a week ago.

If you want to get maps off mapfiend, you need to convert them. Seq does understand the EQ map format, but it does not automatically load them. You can either convert them one at a time yourself (this is what I do, personally) or search around for a mass conversion script in these forums.

whiterain
02-02-2007, 04:48 PM
OK well I got showeq installed I put the maps where they are supposed to be, I added the filters, I started the program the box pops up I put in the ip address, I put in the mac address of the other pc and guess what>> not jack shows up I zoned the char in and out of zone I told it to look for clients.. etc..

BlueAdept
02-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Are you sure you are using a hub and not a switch or router?

Backspace
02-03-2007, 12:20 PM
If you are on a switch or router, no biggy, just need configure some ip fowarding on the linux box and set your Windows default gateway to your linux box IP address.
Here's the script I use:

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Run the script, set Windows gateway to Linux IP, then test. If it works, set the script to run when you boot Linux, perhaps call it from the rc.local file.

P.S. Suggest you dial down the attitude if you want help cheating.

whiterain
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
sorry you have the impression I am giving attitude.. I am not in the least trying to do so.. I will say however that I am frustrated. Thanks for that code, although I have not a clue what to do with it.. as to how to configure the linux box and the gateway etc.

Backspace
02-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Here's what to do in your Linux system:

Open a terminal and switch to root.
$ su

Create a file using gedit
# gedit rc.iptables

Copy, paste the following

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Save and exit

Make rc.iptables executable
# chmod 777 rc.iptables

Run rc.iptables
# ./rc.iptables

In Windows, go to your network properties and modify the LAN properites and change the default gateway to your Linux systems IP address.

Start showeq, click 'Monitor Next EQ Client Seen'

If this works, then we can go over how to set rc.iptables to start everytime you restart Linux.

whiterain
02-06-2007, 09:39 AM
ok here is what happened when I did this the system response was:

#make rc.iptables executable
make: nothing to be done for 'rc.iptables'.
make: *** No rule to make target 'executable'. Stop.
[root@localhost ~]#

and thats where it stops

I am using Fedora 6 linux, does that make a difference?

purple
02-06-2007, 09:43 AM
That "make rc.iptables executable" wasn't a command to type, it was the english description of what you are doing. If you read something like:

Dingleflortz the gabberwhatsits...

# dingleflortz --with-gabberwhatsits now

The parts of that help are:
- A description of what you are doing (i.e. "Dingleflortz the gabberwhatsits...")
- Where to do it (i.e. "# " => root shell)
- What to type into the command (i.e. "dingleflortz --with-gabberwhatsits now")

whiterain
02-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Oh my.. feeling so stupid now.. thanks. like a ol dos rem statement.. doh.. I will get this ... sooner or later... I hope :) Thanks for sticking with me. when I get the show eq box up and I need to put in the ip does it mean the ip address the router assigned to the computer or the ip that my isp assigned my modem?

ok here goes.. wish me luck

whiterain
02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
oh one more question.. I know in windows systems I can pull up a dos window and run ipconfig to display my ip address, is there a simular method with linux?

purple
02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
/sbin/ifconfig