PDA

View Full Version : Are we alive

Reliant
03-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Greetings!

Remember when Sony introduced the first packet encryption back, oh my, was it like 4-5 years now? I don't know if anyone remembers that time, but it was very frustrating and painful. I wandered around, and eventually migrated into the MySeq arena with the client/server methodology... and well frankly was never very happy with the results.

When the BS expansion was released, and of course, all the structs changed, I began to think wistfully again about my Linux days, and how slick the real-and-original SEQ worked. I decided this morning to wander over to sourceforge and see what the status of things were...

And, I'm not sure of the answer, frankly. I see updates that are very recent, indicating a continuing comittment to a working system, but there surely doesn't appear to be many posters here.

Is SeQ still alive? Am I in the right Forum, or is there a private URL I should go to. I'm seriously thinking about downloading Red Hat, pulling a machine out of the closet, and seeing if I can get SeQ working again.

What's the verdict?

Rel

Backspace
03-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Yea, it's still alive. It's unusual for seq to be broke this long after a patch. I'd love to try and help fix it, but I don't really understand process.

If you're just coming back to SEQ then it's merely bad timing. The folks who know what they are doing will provide a patch or an updated version. Just have to be patient.

tinker
03-17-2007, 07:53 AM
I just want to echo Backspace's thoughts on this.
ShowEq is alive and well and works better than it ever has up until the emergency patch a few days ago & I am certain the devs will have a patch ready soon.

Reliant
03-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Well it's good to hear that. Actually, I'm not currently in a position to know if it works or not... not even having a machine running Linux at the moment. I shall, however, get one up this afternoon -- a cool Saturday project.

Is there a 'how to' on installation buried somewhere? I looked at the help forum, and nothing jumped out... or is that included with the download?

R

Reliant
03-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Ooooookay... so Red Hat used to be free... now it's not. Any suggestions as to which Linux variant one should obtain as a platform for SeQ?

BlueAdept
03-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Download fedora core 3. It will install without needing any extra packages. There is a FAQ that is available by the FAQ button on the bar above. You can also find it here:

http://www.showeq.net/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_seqfaq_purpose

Above all, use the search because just about any question that could ever be answered has been done so multiple times.

Reliant
03-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Ohyes, Search is my friend. It's just... there diddnt look like there was a whole lot of stuff in the forums..but I will forge ahead nonetheless!

Could_Be_Anyone
03-17-2007, 05:08 PM
My own preference is Gentoo. (www.gentoo.org)
Installation can be time consuming, but it's not trying to be Windows, as I feel Red Hat and it's dervivatives are.

Cryonic
03-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Redhat never stopped being free, they just use Fedora for consumers and RH Enterprise Linux is for other needs. Like a place wanting support and a distro that will see security fixes, but be version stable for the next several years (I think EL is supported for 5 years from release or so).

Resiliant
03-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Okay! I'm typing this in Firefox, on my freshly configured Fedora machine that I dragged out of the closet. I've downloaded all the SEQ packages (I think). This is actually pretty slick stuff, considering the price. I don't mind it looking like windows as long as it works.

Now.. to see if i can find the building instructions...

R

Resiliant
03-20-2007, 07:45 AM
(I'm trying to get SeQ working under Fedora Core 6, and I've only recently returned to the Linux universe, so this may be a dumb question - Disclaimer of stupidity closes)

Okay, I think I might have the wrong version of Qt.

I did a ./Configure and got:

checking for Qt... no
>> Unable to locate your Qt includes...
configure: error: Please verify your Qt devel install!

However, the package manager has:
qt-devel - 1:3.3.7-0.1.fc6.i386

checked. I did do a search, and couldn't find anyone doing an install on Core 6. There's a 1:3.3.6 version of qt-devel in the package list, unchecked. Should I use that, or an older version of Qt?

BlueAdept
03-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Okay, I think I might have the wrong version of Qt.

It is why I said to use Fedora Core 3. It installs with no changes needed. I believe that FC6 requires either a downgrade of some packages or modifications done to SEQ. I know some people were having problems with it in the past. (Do a search, I believe you will find the thread with possible work arounds).

I am using FC3 myself. I do not know what is require to get it working on FC6.

hug
03-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Core 5 works without modification also

Reliant
03-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Ooookay... I'll just go get Core 3... or try to find it, at least.

(I Googled 'fedora core 3' and it lead me to core 6... ITS NOT MY FAULT!)

:P

BlueAdept
03-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Ooookay... I'll just go get Core 3... or try to find it, at least.

(I Googled 'fedora core 3' and it lead me to core 6... ITS NOT MY FAULT!)

:P

NP. When you install it, remember to do an "everything" install to make sure you get all the packages you need.

Reliant
03-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Ya I always do that.. developer, web site, server stuff, the works. I do have to say, though. I'm very impressed with Fedora's device support. I have a rather old AMD system with a brand new Radion 9550 graphics card -- config'd itself perfectly and worked the first time.

Not bad for open-source stuff.

BlueAdept
03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
You can get FC 3 here:

ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/

I think you only need the first 3 cds.

or if you prefer to get FC 5:

ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/

BlueAdept
03-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Another Linux I like is CentOS. It is based off of the enterprise version of Redhat.

CeleSEQ
03-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Hold on, please don't install Fedora Core 3. There is no longer a Fedora Legacy project, and thus, FC3 is completely unsupported, not even security patches are being released.

Because of this, I will no longer be compiling FC3 packages. Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while due to a protracted illness in the family, but I will be building packages again tonight.

However, ONLY RHEL4/CentOS4 will be built for now. I can't in good conscience recommend Fedora to casual users as it will be a very frustrating experience, and I don't have CentOS 3 or 5 boxes available for builds at the moment, though next week I should have an RHEL5 system built.

CentOS is a free operating system built from the source packages released by Redhat for their RHEL product. It looks and works like RHEL, with the Redhat trademarks removed. I highly recommend it, and, like RHEL, it has a nice LONG support cycle, so you won't be fighting with major upgrades every 6 months.

I will also continue to build an SRPM for anyone who wants RPM'd software on Fedora, you'll be able to grab and build the SRPM and build your own quickly.

BlueAdept
03-20-2007, 03:46 PM
I will also continue to build an SRPM for anyone who wants RPM'd software on Fedora, you'll be able to grab and build the SRPM and build your own quickly.

Sorry CeleSEQ, I forgot about the rpms that you do. I still compile my own. If someone is looking for an easy way to do it, rpms are the way to go.

I know that FC3 is no longer supported, but as long as it isnt accessable from the outside, it should be fine.

Do you have rpms for FC6?

I think I am using CentOS 4 as a dev box. Dont remember what version it is but I do like it. My SEQ box is an old FC 3. I havent had problems with either, but then again neither have outside access.