PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting back in :-)

andrewroy
04-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Hello All,

thinking of getting back into EQ after 3 year absence..

was wondering if anything special needs to be done
to get showeq running on redhat 9?

i remember with RH 7.2 i needed to install some qt RPM's and
i did a quick search in the forums and did not see an install guide or HOWTo..

was wonderingif it is still

export CC=gcc3 ; export CXX=g++3 ; export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

Thanks

AR

purple
04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Red Hat 9 is pretty old. Is there a reason why you'd choose that?

ShowEQ requires qt 3.2 or above, so at least that part is incorrect. There may be other required libraries that are not up to snuff on Red Hat 9. It's pretty old.

andrewroy
04-08-2007, 11:00 AM
purple.,

thanks for the reponse..

no reason that i am running redhat9, what version would you suggest.. :-)

AR

purple
04-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm not the best person to answer that I guess. If someone new to Linux wanted to try it, I'd probably recommend Ubuntu because of all the good press they get. But that recommendation isn't based on actual experience with Ubuntu and I'm not sure if Ubuntu has packages made for ShowEQ by someone or not. You can always use the tarball and if you have any problems along the way just ask questions. Maybe at the end we can have a thread to point people to who want to know how to use ShowEQ with Ubuntu.

Personally, I use Gentoo which unless you're interested in learning stuff about Linux and system administration, probably isn't best for you.

dewey2641
04-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Recently I've been thinking of upgrading my seq / firewall. Its been running redhat 7.3 for well years.

To evaluate my upgrade options I downloaded a copy of vmware and images for Ubuntu , Debian , and Fedoria core 5.

From this very limited set I found Ubuntu to be painfully different and on the image I was using could not get apt-get, yum, rpmfind to work. I freely admit this is most likely a user error on my part.

I'd heard good things about the debian packager and was expecting smooth sailing but the install I had went though a bunch of configuration questions and then downloaded another bunch of packages. Once I got into the system it was pretty nice , but the package manager was having some issues with the default list of sites. Theres a thread here a few months ago about being able to add a site and just apt-get source showeq or something like that and it would "do the rest". I couldn't get this to work either. I ended up using the showeq.tar.gz , which isn't that big of a deal.

Lastly I tried fedora core 5, which was a pretty large initial download. Since I'm pretty familiar with where things live I had no problems getting the packages I was looking for installed and other than yum taking a really long time to get the initial files loaded everything went smoothly.

With all this said, these were all vmware images which may have contributed to my difficulties. It was also my first time trying Debian and Ubuntu and the newbi factor I'm sure was holding me back.

If you want to jump right in and are familiar with the old redhat 7.2 moving to fedora core 5 is a pretty minor and you'll be up and runing quickly.

andrewroy
04-09-2007, 02:07 PM
All,

fedora 5 was an easy install.. we had it here on an nfs share..at work

install was quick and painless.. seq installed with now issues..

running in 30 minutes..

now to get back into the game..

AR