PDA

View Full Version : anyone run EQ in linux

eqhunter
05-05-2007, 10:10 PM
I was wondering about this I know theres the program that helps all games run in linux but from what I have read it sucks. was wondering what everyone here does and thinks.

BlueAdept
05-05-2007, 11:26 PM
People used to run EQ under WineX. I am not sure if it is still possible or not.

dewey2641
05-06-2007, 03:12 AM
How about running MySEQ under linux =/

Hendrix_Morton
05-06-2007, 11:01 AM
How about running MySEQ under linux =/

Currently running it under an XP Vmware image using VMPlayer, but it seems to run pretty slowly, and locks up the whole machine atleast once or twice a session...:(

Tried to get Wine to run it, but gave up on that after a frustrating afternoon...

Praying that Purple gets good ol regular SEQ running soon...Man I miss it...I forgot how much more it brings to the game...

BlueAdept
05-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Wine should run it. Between wine and winex I have gotten a lot of windows apps to run.

If I get some time, maybe I will fool around with it.

Hendrix_Morton
05-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Ive never played with wine bfore...I downlaoded the rpm for it, installed it (Seemd to install OK..no errors anyway), but when I try to run the myseq.exe it bitches about the .NET framework...

I did some quick searching, and didnt see how to install that...really dont think WIndows Updater will like that..:)

Have to do some more searching and playing when I get 5 free min...

grumpie
05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Check out http://www.crimsontalon.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11495

flopz
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I play EQ under Linux. It runs under both WINE and Cedega (WineX). Both have their share of problems.

Cedega has trouble with a lot of textures in newer zones (the textures appear inverted...in indoor zones this is a major problem, because dark textures become light textures; add in light sources and you can't see a damn thing).

WINE has more severe trouble with terrain textures in older zones; the terrain will disappear entirely. If you remember the so-called "west bug", it's a lot like that, only the textures spend more time hidden than not. It also has problems with models; PC models are only partially displayed (they vaguely resemble a pile of correctly-textured limbs just sitting on the ground...sliding if the player is moving), and NPC models aren't displayed at all. This makes playing pretty interesting.

Both have their issues with crashes (the EQ client being a raging piece of shit doesn't help much here). WINE, however, appears to be more stable in this area than Cedega is.

I haven't had any luck getting MySEQ running. I'd imagine that even if I do get it running, it's not going to work correctly, because reading memory from the EQ process would be completely different in Linux than it would in Windoze. A Linux port for MySEQ would probably be workable though; especially with a native Linux wrapper for the .SUCK...I mean .NET framework.

flopz
05-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Check out http://www.crimsontalon.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11495

Linux is great for servers, for a real desktop the Mac blows away the noob Gnone KDE crap.

Vanguard is quite stable on Vista x64. Even if you get Vanguard to run on Linux it's still a waste of time and won't have as good of performace on native XP/Vista X86/64 if you plan on actually playing the game rather than just loading it to the main screen.And ah, ye of little faith...there's a reason WINE stands for "WINE Is Not an Emulator". The application still runs natively on the i386 architecture...it's just the system calls that are adapted to run on Linux/BSD/whatever. EQ performs considerably better for me under Linux than Windoze. Why? The Windows kernel sucks. Bad. Micro$oft has no interest in making sure your computer runs fast anymore. Just look at Aero, it takes over a gig of system RAM. Beryl takes roughly 80MB.