PDA

View Full Version : lotr client

Nstalkerga
07-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Quick question
Anyone seen if there is something similar to a SEQ for LOTR?

ive done some quick searchs but havnt seen anthing as of yet... wondering if any of the old/current SEQ users have seen something around

CeleSEQ
07-23-2007, 04:48 PM
This is kind of an FAQ actually... the answer really is the same for any new game.

The answer is that it is unlikely that any game will ever have a network protocol that works like Everquest's again, and the functionality of showeq is unlikely to be duplicated because of that fact.

For various reasons, the original developers sent a rather large amount of data to the client for everquest. My guess is that they did it to try to reduce lag during non-zoning gameplay. By sending the full spawn list during the zoning process, the client would have some idea of what it should display. The original game was intended to be playable on a 28.8 modem, and I believe the structure of the zoning process was a compromise to allow that to work better.

With faster and more reliable network connections ubiquitous in the gaming community now, new games are smarter and send only data that will be immediately necessary to the client. In such a game, the best that could be done would be a sort of radar around one's avatar showing the objects which the client can see. And lots of games build that radar system into the game anyway now it seems.

So although I've never played LOTR, the answer is "probably not", and "if there is something, it wouldn't be nearly as useful as seq".

Cheers...