PDA

View Full Version : Stupid problem, but I did use Search first!

Jaxxian
11-21-2007, 01:34 PM
After getting the new version extracted I went to the directory to compile it. I typed ./configure as I always have and got an error message. ./configure: Permission denied. Never seen that one before. I am in the right directory and am logged in as root/admin, I never log in as anything else. I am sure I am just messing up some syntax thing. This is using FC3. Could someone lead me out of my stupidity, not sure what procedure I am doing wrong. This method, exactly as you have it in the release notes has worked for me every time in the past, for years actually. Search didn't seem to have anything specific to this in the 17 topics that came up when I searched under /configure. Couldn't get anything under denied but will keep searching. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

No changes have been made to the OS itself, it has not even been turned on since SEQ went dark after TBS came out so nothing was changed from the last time where it functioned correctly with those instructions.

Jaxxian
11-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Searching on the internet I did find some information about chmod. My permissions for configure.in are -rw-r--r--. I did chmod g+x configure.in and it gave me -rw-r-xr--. So I guess I did something. Still denies me permission. Did the same thing to config.h.in which had the same permission before and same changes after chmod, again no permission. I must admit I am just kind of stabbing at this and am not sure I am even addressing the right file. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: ok, did the chmod g+x to every file that had config in the name in that directory and when I was done it did the ./config and is now doing 'make'. No clue why it did what it did or what it might mean for getting the rest of it up and running but for now it's compiling away. Usually don't have nearly this much luck finding easy workable answers on the general internet for Linux. Going to have to bookmark that website for future reference. As I type this it just crashed with another permission denied for a file called h2info.pl. Hmm, I wonder if there is anyway to just be able to chmod g+x that whole directory so it can unlock everything.

EDIT:EDIT I chmod *.* both the SRC and showeq directories. No clue if it will work. It's compiling very very slowly now. Wish me luck.

BlueAdept
11-21-2007, 03:43 PM
It might be a mistake on my part. the ownership of the files might be wrong or that the permissions are wrong (likely cause). It was late when I did the tarball and I didn't have time to actually compile it.

I will check it out later tonight. You can use the 5.10 and manually patch it to see if that helps.

BlueAdept
11-21-2007, 03:53 PM
It is that the permissions are wrong. I will have a fixed version in the file section later tonight.

BlueAdept
11-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I am pulling the release until this is corrected.

kjb
11-21-2007, 04:12 PM
I got it to compile just by fixing configure and h2something, but never got skittles.

Jaxxian
11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I did that permissions thing on those files also and got it to compile (actually the whole showeq and showeq/src directories). Oddly though, since I always completely delete the old SEQ directory when updating to a new one so there is no compatibility issues, now when I run the new SEQ executable it runs but shows version 5.9.1.0. This doesn't show maps or skittles or anything. To be honest I am kind of mystified as to where it got that number to even show since I had deleted it. The SEQ executable I am running is dated today also. I will keep poking at it.

BlueAdept
11-21-2007, 07:03 PM
now when I run the new SEQ executable it runs but shows version 5.9.1.0.

All these issues should be resolved with the file I just uploaded.

I am still a little green at doing this. When I started updating it was from version 5.9.1.1 so I searched all the files in the directory for that. I didn't realize that the configure file had 5.9.1.0 in it so I never saw the changes that had to be made there, until you pointed it out.

There were some issues with my previous release. Mainly permissions, but also in everquest.h there were some ^M's since I edited it in windows. These have been resolved and should work now.

Jaxxian
11-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Awesome Blue. Thanks for helping me get this thing up and running. It is working now for the first time in ages. I'm so happy you can't believe it. Again thanks to all of you guys who worked toward bringing it back up.