PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

Spaz
12-12-2007, 09:49 AM
I've been running a little Shuttle EPC job for years for SEQ and it finally died yesterday.

What's the best SEQ OS at the moment? Fedora 4 has been flawless for me, so might just reinstall that. I choose the OS based on whatever is best for SEQ at the moment. The few non SEQ things it does are easy to configure - but I really don't want to muck with QT and programming packs for hours on end.

On a similar note, any thoughts on hardware? It'll run a firewall, so needs two NICs (Drop in are fine). I have a SSD drive for it and would like to keep the rest low power as well, since it's on 24/7. Small and Quiet are also important.

BlueAdept
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM
My linux system is a mini-itx motherboard. It is a lot smaller than a shuttle. They make some of them with dual ethernet.

http://www.mini-box.com/ to take a look at them.

They arent power houses but ran linux fine. They are a bit expensive to build though. Probably about the same as a shuttle.

Most are fanless so are pretty quiet.

ieatacid
12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
No complaints here using Fedora 7.

BlueAdept
12-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Using CentOS here. No problems.

Backspace
12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Have using Mandrake/Mandriva to run SEQ for years.

Have gotten it to run on Ubuntu 7.10, but was a pain finding the right Qt packages.

Could_Be_Anyone
12-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Been using Gentoo for several years now, been working great.

However, Gentoo's news page hasn't been updated for some time now, so I have to wonder if something's not right there.

uRit1u2CBBA=
12-12-2007, 11:53 PM
I too have been using Gentoo for about 3 years now. Once set up, easy to maintain.

flopz
12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
openSuSE 10.2 here, and it works like a charm ;)

Trying to upgrade to 10.3, but the installer is bugged. Fails to load the correct modules to detect my hard drives (any of them)...and when I switch from the GUI installer to vt2 and load them manually, it still fails. ><

Spaz
12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks much for the replies. Need to collect some hardware, now. Hopefully will have it up by this time next week. Leaning towards FC7 since FC's been good to me so far.

My linux system is a mini-itx motherboard. It is a lot smaller than a shuttle. They make some of them with dual ethernet.

http://www.mini-box.com/ to take a look at them.

They arent power houses but ran linux fine. They are a bit expensive to build though. Probably about the same as a shuttle.

Most are fanless so are pretty quiet.

Those look nice - which case are you using?
Costs is pretty in line for what I'm willing to spend on it.

Current box is an 800MHz CPU I think, so these are likely to be faster anyway.

BlueAdept
12-14-2007, 12:37 PM
my box is 1ghz m10000 with 1gb ram and is about 3 years old. It is in a similar case to the one that appears on the webpage. It has a little different styling though.

I actually have it dual booting. It runs xp fine also. I do not think it would run games very well since I think it is only 4 meg video. (do not know about the new ones).

The motherboard is about as tall as a can of coke.

I do not know if I would order from them. Find the motherboard you want and do a search for it on the net. You can find them cheaper elsewhere.