PDA

View Full Version : Need some help for a few things

msdn70-290
12-31-2007, 11:08 AM
First I want to say I'm not complaining here. I absolutely love the program. I am having a few issues though.

I run it no problem, but when I do, it lags my machine. 2.5ghz 2gb ram xp sp2.

I started using this version as soon as I saw it up and running again, maybe a year ago. It ran fine, but then with the next to lastest version, it started lagging me. It doesn't lag eq much, but other apps it does. Chances are it's all my machine. Emule for about the past 1.5-2 yrs has had issues starting on my machine. Once it's running it was fine but the intial load & downloading new servers, and connecting all took forever. I got new ram over the holiday and now emule flies.

Oddly enough tho myseq is having more issues now, it will just stop updating. Then I have to close it all down and restart it.

So my plan was this, install the client on a crappy laptop I have. The only problem is, it's running xp. Just xp, I don't even think it has service pack 1 yet. The problem I'm having here is I cannot get sp2 to install. It starts running then gets to inspecting system and just closes. It doesn't crash the system or even lock anything up, it just stops. I've tried to install .net 2 but it wants windows installer 3 first, win install 3 does the same thing, I start the install and it gets to backing up files and just disappears.

Now the laptop is old. I was given it recently. I'm not a fan of laptops, I just wanted something to work on homework in front of the TV with. It's a 300mhz pent 2 with 256 ram. It's running win xp (quite well for as gimp as the laptop is). I was thinking about killing xp and putting 98se on it.

Will the client run on 98?

If anone has any suggestions for the other issues - client lagging my machine or why the windows installers don't work I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Oh yeah I can't use windows update. I connect, it downloads the new updater etc, then asks me to continue and then redownloads the new updater etc. Over and over. In updates history it lists these as being installed successfully. So I'm completely baffled at why it continues to re install them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hidron
12-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't know about v1.22 requirements, but I was running client 1.19.2 just fine on WinXP without either SP. (server 1.20.0 was run on a machine with SP2 though) My minimal testing of v1.22 has been done on the same machine I used to just run the server on). I always lag out when running any kind of file sharing software in the background, so as a rule I shut them down when I want to play a game.

As far as the install problems you are experiencing, I would suggest turning off any anti-virus or pop-up blocker software you having running before trying to install the updates to Windows.

Seaxouri
01-04-2008, 02:10 AM
You can try changing the update delay. We update 10 times per second now. If you are running other network stuff and your network is getting saturated, you might lose packets which will mess up MySEQ. The old MySEQ ran at 250msec updates iirc. The new one uses a lot less resources so it can actually update the screen faster. Note that the screen refreshes are independent of network snapshots.

FWIW Ive had v1.22 run fine for weeks without closing it.

The client requires NET, so it wont run on Win98.

I have a feeling you have something installed that is mucking with your network stack and causing problems. I would bet money if you had a fresh WinXP install on your 2.5 box you would not see these issues.

The only other thing I can think of is you motherboard chipset drivers. You should check to see if you have updates, especially if you have an nForce or a VIA chipset.