PDA

View Full Version : To release the encryption trick for EQ2, or not to?

Skandragon
01-15-2008, 10:00 PM
First, I know there are EQ2 specific forums. But this message has questions better answered by people from both EQ and EQ2.

I have code which will extract the encryption key from EQ2. This is done using a small trick, and has both a local component (on the same machine) and one that runs on a Unix machine to decrypt the data stream.

I'm having problems reliably using the data in the now defunct everdump (written by acid, who now works for SOE) mainly due to seeming to fall out of sync, or decrypting the wrong data, or not decrypting some of it. The protocol seems overly complicated, or at least the everdump code is so.

At a very basic level, I'm an information junkie. I like to know the answers to little questions like "Does that shiny on the ground know what it is before or after I pick it up?" as well as the more greedy and sneaky "where are the shinies near me?" one. Of course I'd use anything I learn to play the game differently, and I know others would as well. I'm a little afraid about releasing this genie from the bottle because I don't think what I'd do would ruin the game, but what others might choose to do...

I do not have a lot of spare time to hack on EQ2 protocol decoding or to write a fancy little widget which displays the data, however. The only way to get more assistance on the decoding front is to release the code to extract the key.

So, my main question here is this. Has showeq ruined EQ? Be honest. If there were tons of farmers, bots, and others using showeq to drive them, and I think EQ2 would end up with that, would it ruin EQ2?

I'm not certain what to do on this topic just yet, so please don't beg for my code. If I choose to release it, I will do it here, on the EQ2 forums. I'd love to hear from others who have attempted this, or have succeed, however.

unknwon
09-09-2008, 09:40 AM
sorry, know this is an old thread, but i`m looking at recreating the showeq2 program and would love to see how your getting the new encry key.

I`ve already done a showeq for wow, look at mmoradar to see what i can do. :)