PDA

View Full Version : Been a while

Ratface
01-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey gang, been a while since I used showeq (almost 3 years to be exact), and I got everything compiled and installed and spell strings and such all put where they need to go, however, it seems that the seq client isn't picking up the IP address I am telling it to monitor. Is there something that I am forgetting? It seems to me in the old days that it wouldn't work unless I had it hardcoded on my 10MB hub(at the time I had a 10Mb cascaded down from a 100Mb hub).

Clearly, there is something I am missing here, but I just can't put my finger on it because I am so rusty at this. This is an unmodified SuSE 9.1 Pro installation, so, if anyone can think of anything to trigger my memory on anything, it'd greatly be appreciated.

Thanks guys and keep up the great work!!!

Ratface

Fatal
01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
You only had to do that if you were using a switch, not a hub.

As long as the pc and showeq machine are on the same hub, it should work.

Ratface
01-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Yes, they are on the same hub, but it's not picking up anything at all, I am completely stumped, been looking through it for hours and can't figure out what I am missing, haha, driving me crazy...

BlueAdept
01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Your hub might be a switch. Most things now a days are switches. For a while you could get a switching hub that as long as both were on the same plane (ie both 10 mb or both 100mb) it would work. Most manufacturers have moved away from that and now are true switches.

First thing to check is to make sure you can ping your windows box. Make sure you are root too. You can also get a network packet sniffer to see if you see traffic from your windows box.

Fatal
01-24-2008, 04:23 PM
First thing to check is the make & model number of your 'hub'. Should be fairly easy to see if its a hub or a switch.