PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 and libpcap

notaguru
01-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Hello all,

Been awhile since my last install and I'm not sure where to go next on this one.

During ./configure I get the following

checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no
configure: error: cannot find pcap_open_live in libpcap. Read the INSTALL file.

Searching on this turns up several responses stating that the libpcap package may not be installed. Here's what I get when checking rpm

[root@localhost showeq-5.12.1.0]# rpm -q libpcap
libpcap-0.9.7-3.fc8
[root@localhost showeq-5.12.1.0]# rpm -q libcap-devel-1.10-30
libcap-devel-1.10-30

I'm not sure where to look next. Should i be looking to install a previous version of these?

A nod in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

notaguru
01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Not even a flame?

LordCrush where are you with your search button?

notaguru
01-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, I'm not really dead set on fedora 8. As you can probably tell I'm pretty lacking on linux in general. Everything I know about it came from this board and what I've had to do to find it.

Any recommendations out there for a linux flavor to use that would be best for the current version of SEQ?

Thanks

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I've always favored Gentoo. I've been using about 5 years. But the community seems unstable and no one's sure of how things will go down the road.

Gentoo's not for the beginners tho. It requires that you know what you're doing. I started out with SuSE and Red Hat (back when they were called that, not sure what they call themselves now) almost 10 years ago.

bonkersbobcat
01-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I run ubuntu and have only a single issue with SEQ. (That issue is the UTS_RELEASE reference in main.cpp, which I just comment out.)

BB

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-25-2008, 12:25 AM
I have the same problem with my Gentoo install. I re-create the UTS_RELEASE label in the file it's expected to be in when I have to.

notaguru
01-25-2008, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I got past the error by reinstalling libpcap-devel (yeah yeah I know, it's a windows move). But then I think I ran into the same issue you stated above. I'll try commenting out the line tomorrow and see if that helps.

BlueAdept
01-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I use CentOS it is based on Redhat Enterprise 5.

It also has the UTS issue. I just fixed it in the version file since I ran into the same problem with another program I was compiling.

notaguru
01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey Blue

How do you correct the version file?

Could_Be_Anyone
01-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I've always favored Gentoo. I've been using about 5 years. But the community seems unstable and no one's sure of how things will go down the road.

Gentoo's not for the beginners tho. It requires that you know what you're doing. I started out with SuSE and Red Hat (back when they were called that, not sure what they call themselves now) almost 10 years ago.Linux users are unstable anyway. :D

I've used Gentoo since about 2003 and I've always been pleased with it. Works well with whatever I've tried to run on it, and is very fast & stable once installed.

It is not for those unwilling to spend time learning, though. Unless you know Linux well, be prepared to spend some time learning about Linux. Installing it & using it is actually a reasonably good way to learn Linux, though. If you want something quick & easy, better stick with something like Fred's Hat, or whatever it's calling itself these days.. Fedora?

I am also concerned about it's future. They outright canceled the 2nd 2007 release this past week after being way late with it. There were delays in the 1st 2007 release, too.

notaguru
01-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Well I'm getting a little bit closer.

I have the latest build installed and I see traffic on seq but as soon as my character loads it starts giving errors then crashes.

Warning: SEQ: Giving up on finding arq 043a in stream zone-client cache, skipping!
Warning: !!!! EQPacketFragmentSequence::addFragment(): buffer overflow adding in new fragment to buffer with seq 047f on stream 3, opcode 0000. Buffer is size 89702 and has been filled up to 89518, but tried to add 505 more!

There are several warnings like the first one listed all in order, Arq 042, 42a, 43 etc etc then the final message pasted above.

Did I do something wrong here or can someone help me with the key word to search for?

Thanks

BlueAdept
01-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Warning: SEQ: Giving up on finding arq 043a in stream zone-client cache, skipping!
Warning: !!!! EQPacketFragmentSequence::addFragment(): buffer overflow adding in new fragment to buffer with seq 047f on stream 3, opcode 0000. Buffer is size 89702 and has been filled up to 89518, but tried to add 505 more!

Look at the FAQ in your tarball or check out http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5333 (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5333)which is just a cut and paste of it so that people find it when they search here. It will help you set your kernel parameters to help with packetloss problems.

This has nothing to do with a specific version of seq and everything to do with how promiscious sniffing works on Linux and what you are using your Linux machine for. You should be able to adjust kernel parameters to get everything working fine, though probably at the cost of more memory used to support your network stack.

notaguru
01-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks Blue!!

BlueAdept
01-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks Blue!!

Thank purple. It is a post that he made and I just coppied it.

notaguru
01-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Thank purple. It is a post that he made and I just coppied it.

Thanks Purple for the write up and Thanks Blue for pointing me in the right direction.

What search did you use btw, I tried every variation of EQPacketFragmentSequence and didn't get a single hit.

BlueAdept
01-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks Purple for the write up and Thanks Blue for pointing me in the right direction.

What search did you use btw, I tried every variation of EQPacketFragmentSequence and didn't get a single hit.

Did a search for "but tried to add 505 more"

notaguru
01-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Ok thanks,

high priority fixed it for me, I guess since i'm running it in a VM on a win2k3 server there was enough proccesor cycles available.