PDA

View Full Version : EQ Patch 4-17-08

uRit1u2CBBA=
04-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Maps still pop up, but all NPCs show up as "unknown" and PCs (other than self) don't show up at all.

rogues
04-17-2008, 07:14 PM
It's close, showeq wouldn't be completely useless if it were fixed. Sure you wouldn't get the whole zone, but I still think it has some instances where it could help.

dphantom
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
amen, I use showeq more as GPS than anything. I hope someone can fix it, and it still would be useful to me!

Spaz
04-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Agree

ieatacid
04-17-2008, 10:03 PM
I'll fix it this weekend. It's not that broken, other than you'll only see spawns in a limited radius around your character.

04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
I have noticed something when playing around with MySEQ. Before you finish zoning you can see NPCs you cannot after you finish zoning. I am not sure if you receive the entire zone or just a larger than normal range. Its kind of difficult to tell with MySEQ, because it all depends on when the memory snapshot is taken. I think that it only shows NPCs within a certain max range. Since ShowEQ intercepts all packets, it would be a much better tool to look at this stuff with.

Nstalkerga
04-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Ive noticed it also the area centered around your current visible range..

IE: if im standing at the zone in and not moving.
The mobs are updated around me.

Use en eye or see through others eyes spells... the area of range follows it until it expires. It also keeps anything you have targeted updated (but not whats around it).

Not sure but i think the range on it might also be zone dependent .. I swear it seemed ALOT larger in some areas than others ... but it could have been just my perception.
Or indoor/ourdoor type diffrences. Im still looking .. id still rather have SEQ than not ... it could also mean they wont break it anymore since it limited.

rogues
04-18-2008, 10:18 AM
It was hard to tell with showeq in the state that it's in currently, but I stayed afk in the GL overnight to see what would happen, and I was definitely seem some form of updates further away than I expected to see. It seemed like every de-spawn (I would have expected spawns, but it seems to be de-spawns) was getting sent to my client. Showeq in it's current state only shows the initial position of some event after you've been in the zone, and it shows it as a 'corpse' with a light blue x. Sitting where I was (the northern side of the throne) I had a huge patch of the blue x's near the pok zone, which was about 500' away and a large patch near both guild hall zone-ins. I had a lot of others scattered throughout the zone. I'm guessing that they were de-spawns (zoning out) based on where they were. That leads me to suspect that there may be a little more info getting to the client than I would have expected, as 500' range seems like it would have been out of my field of view. I certainly wouldn't have expected to be getting updates from that far away.

rogues
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Well, evidently I'm wrong on that, I'm hearing from a myseq user that the range of data being sent is about 650', so what I was seeing in the GL is within the range of what we know Sony is sending. Further than I'd have expected I guess.

Nstalkerga
04-19-2008, 11:39 AM
They actually might need to expand it some more ..
Out in loaping plains ... Ive notived certain areas where mobs just kinda poof into existance ... i could previously see 2-3 mobs further than i can right now :(

ieatacid
04-20-2008, 12:41 AM
So here's what I've got:

I have everything working but I'd like some feedback on how it should behave.

I can sort of bypass the spawn removal so that when you move around a map the spawns that were already on the map will remain there, even if out of range, until they are truly removed (players zoning, corpses poofing, etc). This causes some weird behavior: Sometimes, when you enter a zone, you'll get spawns on the map well out of your update radius.

So when you enter a zone you'll see the spawns in your update radius (and possibly some more that are further out), but moving about the map will populate it with the other spawns. Moving out of their update range won't remove them, but their positions won't update.

Conversely, I can make it update as intended so that you only ever see spawns within your update radius.

hug
04-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Wow, both sound usefull for different curcumstances making it hard to choose. If I had to pick one, I would prefer the bypass of the spawn removal.

In a perfect world, I would like both :)

Scottyy
04-20-2008, 02:47 AM
Would it be possible to have it as a tick option in a menu somewere ? Persistent Spawns/None Persistent Spawns or somthing like that.

If not then Anything is better than what we have now which is Nothing :(

Keep up the good work and thankyou for continuing to work on ShowEQ.

Backspace
04-20-2008, 05:31 AM
Have used MySeq (free) for past couple of days and though we are no longer able to see and monitor the entire zone, it's not that bad.

Sure in large outdoor type zones, you see very little. But in relatively small or multi level zones, the change makes hardly a difference. For instance, in MMM, can see more then half the zone from zone in. If I move to elevator, can just about see the entire zone.

As for choosing whether or not to leave information there when moving around, is interesting, but would like to test it before deciding.

Having an option for both would be ideal.

rogues
04-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Being able to change it is very attractive, although I'm not sure how easy that would be. Sometimes it might depend on the zone.

In some cases you can scout with an eye and showeq follows it, so you get updates to your map that way. That might affect how I'd use one method or the other.

One thing that might be nice, although I'm not sure practical, would be to show any skittles that aren't "current" information as faded, or fade those parts of the map. I'm sure that would require quite a bit of programming though.

In the end, I think either way will be good, certainly better than now, I feel like I'm playing with my eyes closed.

In my car I have a nav system. Sometimes when I pass through a speed trap I look down at my nav screen and wonder for split second why the cop skittle didn't show up on my nav system. It's times like that that I realize how much I rely on showeq. :)

Nstalkerga
04-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Im all for having it an option you enable .. a tick ... even if you have to zone to enable it once changed.

Otherwise im betting im gonna have 2 version running on my box at any given time ... i might do it anyway

bonkersbobcat
04-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Is there a new opcode that indicates that this particular spawn is no longer receiving updates? or do both the client and the server have a common understanding of what spawns won't receive updates?

If the protocol stream "knows" which spawns are not getting updates, I would like to see them get a different symbol, or a be made a different color. This way you can look at the map and know there there *was* something there (and might still be) and what is was/is.

ieatacid
04-20-2008, 12:13 PM
I like the idea about changing the symbol of the spawns out of the update radius.

I added an option to the Options menu to toggle the update radius on or off.

ieatacid
04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
I updated SVN with the what I've done so far if anyone wants to grab it. I was holding off on doing a tarball until I'm sure it's working right. I added "Use Update Radius" to the Options menu but turning this off seems to not always remove spawns from the zone, so I left it on by default.

svn co https://seq.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/seq seq

uRit1u2CBBA=
04-20-2008, 11:05 PM
wow - I ran that command and wasn't expecting to see every past verison known to exist :) lol

EDIT:

Umm - which of these branches is the most recent one? It's hard to tell :)

Thanks.

ieatacid
04-21-2008, 04:40 AM
Perhaps then

svn checkout https://seq.svn.sf.net/svnroot/seq/showeq/trunk

or

svn update

I just use the update command (and I'm new to SVN, so I don't know a great deal about it).

BlueAdept
04-21-2008, 08:32 AM
wow - I ran that command and wasn't expecting to see every past verison known to exist :) lol

EDIT:

Umm - which of these branches is the most recent one? It's hard to tell :)

Thanks.

Yup. Should be most, if not all, the past versions since Ratt moved to SF. That is the nice thing about CVS/SVNs.

uRit1u2CBBA=
04-21-2008, 12:34 PM
bah - still confused .. there was no "configure" there. and I forgot the old method that was used to create it.

I think I'll just wait for a tarball.

rogues
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I had the same problem. I grabbed my configure file from the last folder I compiled from. You'll need to grab a lot of other files from there as well, I just kept going until I had them all. That allowed me to build a working version. I have no idea how to make a configure from scratch, but I figured it couldn't have changed that much from the last version, and now I'm up and running.

Thanks so much ieatacid!

ieatacid
04-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I think you need to do

make -f Makefile.dist

to generate the configure script.

I'll put up a tarball in a few since people are having problems.

twizzlerz
04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
!!!
Thanks so much ieatacid!!!!

sturge24
04-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Is anyone else seeing this? If so I'll post in help. This follows "make" run as root.

Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sturge24/Desktop/showeq-5.12.3.0/src'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I. -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq/\" -I/usr/include/pcap -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -g -O2 -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/main.Tpo -c -o main.o main.cpp
main.cpp:777:4: error: too many decimal points in number
make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sturge24/Desktop/showeq-5.12.3.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sturge24/Desktop/showeq-5.12.3.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

rogues
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
If I'm reading SKLug's posts right on the Sony forums, it looks like we may be getting a temporary reprieve in the 6 hour patch on the 24th. Rashere indicates that they're reverting back from the proximity changes on the 24th, which SKLug said on the 21s that they would simply be changing the proximity to infinite range. Either way, it looks like we'll be getting things a little back to normal for a bit.

ieatacid
04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Figures. I was going to post a new tarball tonight with bug fixes and recoloring spawns outside of the update radius. :o

bonkersbobcat
04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Go ahead and check changes in so at least they are recorded. From the message it seems that they are not changing or rolling back protocol, it seems that they are just setting the "ring" around you that will get updates to a value that is big enough to encompass the entire zone.

I checked in a change that will remove the UTS_VERSION compile issue.

ieatacid
04-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Done.

Nstalkerga
04-24-2008, 02:44 PM
nice to find i can pull down all those old versions :)

for those that need the cvs (svn) configure.

svn co https://seq.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/seq seq
move into the trunk dir
Run the following commands

make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

That should be everything you need to get back up and working.

Ohh and thanks again to everyone for the continued support on SEQ ...