PDA

View Full Version : Just getting back in-game after a 5-year break. Is MySEQ still detectable?

Immortalis
05-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Hey all,

Quick question here about Sony's ability to detect MySEQ users. When I retired from EQ about 5 years ago, they had just started doing a lot of bannings for users that were using MySEQ. Well, I have recently gotten back into the game - and I used MySEQ previously and really enjoyed the program. Truth be told, I have MySEQ to thank for my Pegasus Cloak (4 years of camping - nada.... 2 hours with MySEQ - 2 cloaks in 10 spawns heh).

Obviously it was a very useful program and I would love to use it again. However I have not been able to find anything documenting any changes that may have been made to ensure this programs ability to run on the client machine without being detected. I've skimmed over a bunch of info the last 1.5 days and really cant find anything solid.

Can someone clarify the current state of MySEQ's detectability please, and what SoE's methods of detection are? ie do they constantly scan, or have to look at your client individually etc?

Thanks in advance~ :cool:

Adept
05-31-2008, 08:17 AM
AFAIK nobody was ever banned specifically for using SEQ or MySEQ. At one point in time Sony modified their EULA and indicated they would start scanning for hacks on the client side but the uproar that created sort of backfired.

Just like anything, if you act like an idiot and are completely obvious in what you're doing you'll draw attention to yourself and increase your risk. I've used SEQ (and MySEQ during the long drought) for 7 years now. I mainly rely on it for spawn timers, seeing where players are so I don't pull over camps or train people, quick checks of namers (not possible any more) and the like.

Anyway, as always just play smart and you'll be fine.

Immortalis
05-31-2008, 08:32 AM

Anyway, as always just play smart and you'll be fine.

Cool bro, I appreciate it. Thanks for the update.

Hidron
05-31-2008, 11:38 AM
They are currently working on proximity coding which will eventually only allow you to see spawns within a very small radius around you. They have already turned this proximity up to max (full zone) twice since working on the code, but when they are finished we will see a lot of functionality lost from MySEQ.

BlueAdept
06-01-2008, 08:17 AM
AFAIK nobody was ever banned specifically for using SEQ or MySEQ. At one point in time Sony modified their EULA and indicated they would start scanning for hacks on the client side but the uproar that created sort of backfired.

Actually a lot of people were banned for using WinSEQ. It was the windows port of SEQ to windows. They scanned the task manager for WinSEQ and banned the people that it turned up on. A lot of people were angry about it and even made headlines.

Sony reserves the right to scan for anything they want (according to the EULA) and Blizzard has had much sucess in banning people for just having 3rd party software on their pcs.

To my knowledge, the only people who have been banned for using SEQ and MySEQ in the last 5 years are people who were stupid when using them (ie advertising the use, tracking with a non tracking class, etc).

The proximity code is in place and is sometimes turned on (watch eq's message board). It means that you will only see in myseq or seq what your client sees in the zone.

blarz
06-13-2008, 01:16 PM
I personall do not think they will ever get the near you range fixed correctly. it will cause them more lag then ever, it will add tons of checks onto you for your range constantly, especially if your moving around or in a zone with alot of moving npc's. As it is no when they toy with the npc range it feels like when they first added kunark. I have faith that Sony will mess this up and forge about it just like they did the melee enhancement part 2, item display update, ect, ect. As for them scanning your memory, if my memory serves me correctly, that's against the law, even if it's in the eula. I think they can only go as far as the everquest folder.

Hidron
06-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Part of the proximity changes was changes to how track works too. Even with the proximity currently infinite, every time I hit the track hotkey there is a 2-3 second delay while I wait for the list to populate, then another 2-3 seconds after selecting a target to track before I get a direction for the target. The whole thing is just an ugly mess.