PDA

View Full Version : Which flavor?

Zeppo
06-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Which flavor of Linux does SEQ work best with?
Since the last time I wanted to use SEQ, the Fedora project was born, and now Ubuntu is really big.
I just tried doing an install in Ubuntu 8.04 and that was a complete bust.
Just want to play around with it while they are letting old-timers back in for free until the end of July.
I think I am going to try Fedora next, then maybe Debian unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks!

bonkersbobcat
06-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Works fine on Ubuntu. You are probably missing some needed packages. Search around a bit and you can probably find a list of the packages you need to install (on top of Ubuntu.) It is mostly the development and QT stuff.

Could_Be_Anyone
06-21-2008, 01:26 AM
I've had good luck with Gentoo for the past several years.

uRit1u2CBBA=
06-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Ditto. Gentoo here too. For first-time installs, you can "emerge showeq" to get the required applications (and an outdated version of showeq), then you can compile your own current version.

Zeppo
06-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, I've tried following the advice in this thread: http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5949
but it just doesn't seem to get SEQ working in ubuntu.
I get every problem that dudex was having, plus some.
I think I'll try Debian.

What version of Linux is SEQ designed for now?
It used to be Redhat.

Thanks!

Could_Be_Anyone
06-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Ditto. Gentoo here too. For first-time installs, you can "emerge showeq" to get the required applications (and an outdated version of showeq), then you can compile your own current version.
I didn't know it had been placed in the portage tree. Never have installed it that way. Basic Gentoo install seems to work, as long as you get libpcap, which I have for other reasons.

uRit1u2CBBA=
06-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Yeah, someone did it about 5 years ago. Then I tried getting things current about 2 years ago, but the gentoo process is that projects aren't "stable" until they've been in the system for 6 months or more. By the time a showeq version is stable, it's far from obsolete.

So I stopped submitting updates.

But it's there. :)

ieatacid
06-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I use Fedora 7.

Zeppo
06-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Was finally able to get it working in Ubuntu while waiting for Fedora to download.

Here's what I did in case I can help anyone else out:

Fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04.
Install all patches.
Then using info from the other post (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5949) I did this: (thanks cann)
Opened a terminal window and typed:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qt3-apps-dev qt3-assistant qt3-designer qt3-dev-tools qt3-doc qt3-dev-tools-compat qt3-dev-tools-embedded qt3-examples qt3-qtconfig libqt3-headers libqt3-mt libqt3-mt-dev libpcap0.8 libpcap0.8-dev libqt3-compat-headers

After all that was installed I got the latest showeq and map files from here (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10131)

I then uncompressed it and changed into the new directory.

tar xjvf showeq-5.12.4.2.tar.bz2
cd showeq-5.12.4.1

Then I had to go into the Synaptic Package Manager and install g++.

After that I was able to run:

./configure
make
sudo make install
from the showeq directory.

Then I unpacked the map files went into that directory and ran:

./configure
sudo make install

after that, it should be done, and showeq can be run by changing to the /usr/local/bin and then typing:
./showeq eth0 --ip-address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

ShowEQ then ran for me.
I can't get it to work right now, but I think it's because I don't have a proper hub for sniffing.
All I have right now is a linksys BEFSR41 DSL router.

If anyone knows how to make that work, I would appreciate it, otherwise I'll either have to forget ShowEQ, or rummage up a hub somewhere.

uRit1u2CBBA=
06-26-2008, 06:33 AM
If you installed version 5.9.1, then you picked up a really old version.

And a hub for sniffing, I use Encore's EHN708-TX. You'll likely have to look towards eBay to try to get the same model. That's where I got mine from.

Zeppo
06-26-2008, 11:02 AM
No, it was the latest 5.12.4.2, just was cutting and pasting from older thread.
All fixed now.

I'll keep an eye out for that hub.
Thanks.

Could_Be_Anyone
07-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Just as a shameless plug for my favorite Linux distro, SEQ compiles just fine on Gentoo 2008.0.

Mag@@
07-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Fedora core 2. Don't laugh, I had it up and running in 15 minutes after a 2+ year absence.

BlueAdept
07-21-2008, 08:09 AM
CentOS 5.x forget what minor version. Just installed and went. No fuss, no muss.

Nstalkerga
07-22-2008, 08:01 AM
CentoOS 5.2 here ...
zero problems
Ive had it on Fedora , true Redhat, and A LONG time ago slackware.