PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Linux do you recommend for ShowEQ?

jdpatt
11-04-2008, 04:07 AM
Hi all,

I came back to EQ after a 4 year break this January. I had used ShowEQ for quite some time before I left, but am a little bewildered by the changes to ShowEQ, Everquest, and even Linux in general.

I wiped the hard drive on the computer I ran ShowEQ on, so I need a new version of Linux. I got started with Red Hat (don't remember which version...one of the last ones, I believe), and used Debian and Gentoo, if I remember correctly. IIRC, Slackware was the version I used most recently, it seemed to work the best for me and be easiest to use.

So my question is: What version of Linux would you recommend for a rusty Linux user returning to ShowEQ? I'd like something that works well with EQ, runs well on an older (Pentium 3) desktop, and is user friendly.

Thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

Dave

BlueAdept
11-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I am not sure, I would stay away from Redhat/Fedora/CentOS then. They are simple to use, but are a resource and space hog.

tanner
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I recommend Ubuntu-8.04 aka Hardy.

ieatacid
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I recommend Ubuntu-8.04 aka Hardy.

That's what I'm using.

Razzle
11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I use slackware and have no problems.

Razzle

Could_Be_Anyone
11-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I prefer Gentoo. Since it's not as automated, you tend to learn more about operating the system in order to install it. You'll eventually need to know this stuff anyway, and forcing you to get your hands dirty is a good preparation for operating it after the installation. And SEQ runs well on it.

jdpatt
11-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Okay, tried Ubuntu 8.4 and 8.10 with very frustrating results. Is there a preferred linux dist that works out of the box, so to speak?

ieatacid
11-17-2008, 02:52 PM
I think Fedora 9 does, if I remember correctly.

BlueAdept
11-18-2008, 09:33 AM
CentOS 5 did from what I remember.
I know earlier versions of Fedora Core worked out of the box, I do not know if the current version does.

As I said, they both have a lot of bloat because it is based on Redhat.

ieatacid
11-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I think Fedora 9 worked out-of-the-box, but I switched to Ubuntu because the performance of Fedora on my Linux box was terrible.