PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Linux?

Noobian
12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I am in need of a little Linux advice as I know almost nothing about Linux. I'm returning to EQ after a 2 year layoff and I need to totally rebuild my Linux box.

My Linux box is a 300 MHz Celeron with 256M RAM and a 20ish GB hard drive.

Which version of Linux would you recommend?

Should I punt and go buy a used P3 or P4?

Thanks;

Noobian

Could_Be_Anyone
12-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I am in need of a little Linux advice as I know almost nothing about Linux. I'm returning to EQ after a 2 year layoff and I need to totally rebuild my Linux box.

My Linux box is a 300 MHz Celeron with 256M RAM and a 20ish GB hard drive.

Which version of Linux would you recommend?

Should I punt and go buy a used P3 or P4?

Thanks;

Noobian
You definitely need to upgrade hardware, that machine would be very slow running anything these days.

As far as the Distro, I've used Gentoo for the past few years, and I like it.

purple
12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
If you knew something about linux, you could make that meager box work alright. But you'd have to use one of the specialty small distros, which aren't as user-friendly as your Ubuntus. If you're patient and want to learn, then pick a small distro and try it. Otherwise, upgrading (nothing drastic, but at least to a slightly more modern box) is probably your best bet.

Noobian
12-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys. I have a P3-800 that quit working a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can cannibalize the celeron and get it going again.

Noob

coffeencream
05-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I myself am about to switch over machines... been using an old Red Hat install from '04 or was it '05... either way... not very Linux savy, so, am I correct in understanding that Ubuntu should be my choice as a user friendly install ? I set up the Red Hat box so long ago, everything I did is long forgotten, and don't really want to spend all that time relearning everything all over again.

seqfan
05-29-2009, 09:36 PM
If you are/were used to Redhat, you might want to think about using Fedora. Ubuntu and Fedora seem to be very similar too.

tanner
05-30-2009, 12:04 AM
I build packages for Ubuntu, so install and upgrade of showeq is as simple as "apt-get install showeq" and "apt-get upgrade".

Hendrix_Morton
07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
I build packages for Ubuntu, so install and upgrade of showeq is as simple as "apt-get install showeq" and "apt-get upgrade".

So if building a box for ShowEQ to run on now-a-days....would you recommend the latest Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop?

Razzle
07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
I use ubuntu 8.06, mainly because when I go to compile other applications that are older I have less issues. I have used 8.06 and 9.04, and both are great choices.

Razzle

Hendrix_Morton
07-15-2009, 10:55 PM
While looking in my spare parts piles to put together a new box to run show EQ on, I actually came across my old Fedora Core-4 box I used to use for showEQ and BF-1941 server...

Hooked it up, was a bit surprised it booted right up to desktop, I downloaded the latest source update from SourceForge, compiled and showeq came up just fine....

Amazing...

Now I really have to decide if I want to reactivate my EQ account...:)