PDA

View Full Version : Closing threads

BlueAdept
12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
I am trying to cut down on some of the spam around here. It seemed the main targets of spam were the stickied threads so I closed them for comments. If anyone needs to make a post regarding one of those subjects that I closed, feel free to make a new thread.

ieatacid
12-23-2008, 10:50 PM
You should just ban their IP pool and *@whatever.whatever email addresses.

BlueAdept
12-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I would end up having to ban all free email accounts and that still would not stop it. The majority of the bots that get banned use hotmail, gmail, yahoo addresses.

As long as you use a well known forum, people are going to write scripts to spam them. The image verification doesnt stop them. The only thing that does stop them is adding a unique item that will break their scripts.

On one of my boards, I added a check box that says "Please check if you are not a spammer". Since it is not a normal thing, it breaks their scripts.

BTW Moved your message to the appropriate thread.

ieatacid
12-24-2008, 02:11 PM
We pretty much stopped it on the MQ forums. We banned IP pools and email addresses that weren't common (like the ones you mention above). Now we might get one every couple months, if that.

purple
12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Do you have access to do that, BA? I can't even delete posts from the news forums...

We do get a lot of repeat spammers which is always annoying.

blvan
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
LOL, how appropriate