PDA

View Full Version : Np Packet sniffing ? >help !<

Sparkz
03-04-2002, 06:51 PM
Guys i hate to post, but i can't figure out whats wrong with my set up. keep in mind i am a Linux & Seq n00bie, but with the help of your forums and intellegent minds, i have set up redhat 7.2 and Seq without a single post. but now that i have it going its not showing anything on the map and i dont know what else to do but post here and take my chances getting flamed :D anyway i am running EQ on my Winbox connected to the internet via dialup modem (msn) and have an old 333mhz with Redhat 7.2 on it with 2 networkcards in it, and i am able to go on the internet with my redhat box via internetsharing with my winbox, then i have all 3 networkcards running into a SynOptics LattisLink 2800a 16 ort hub, so thats the way its all hooked up...so can someone please tell my dumbass what i am doing wrong :confused: I would love to see Seq actually work after all the time i have spent learning this stuff......oh yeah did i mention that im a networking n00bi3 as well. anyway thanks for all the effort that you all have put into these forum and Seq, they have been a great help to me.
C'ya ~n~ EQ :p

high_jeeves
03-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Whoa! It sounds like you are doing some weird shit.

1) Why do you have 2 nics in your linux box hooked up to the same hub? I'm very confused here as to why you would do that (unless you are running a high-availability server and need network card redundancy).

2) Linux----Windows----Internet. Packets go from internet to windows.. do we see the problem here yet? The packets never to to linux.. why would they? They are destined to go to windows box so why would it bother forwarding. I beleive someone on these boards has a utility that he claims will help, but use at your own risk (its called udpecho if I remember correctly, search on the boards for it).

Best case would be to dial up on the linux box, and use the windows box through it, but that will only work if MSN supports normal PPP dialup (yeah, right).

--Jeeves

fyodorst
03-04-2002, 10:12 PM
Yeah man, change that setup.

Internet<--->Linux<--->Hub<--->Other computers

Just setup IP forwarding and IPMASQ on the Linux machine and you are set.

My preferred setup if you can swing an old PoS machine is console Linux as the gatewayish-beigebox-thing and then the SEQ and EQ machines internal. It's more scalable and works very well with friends over. DHCP provides IPs and presto.. up to 3 EQ and 3 SEQ machines.

Ok so we are freaks but seriously, the Internet-Linux-hub-Windows setup is MUCH easier. You could ditch the hub even if you get a crossover cable.

Sparkz
03-06-2002, 10:38 AM
so in other words now im going to need a modem for my Redhat box before i can go any further, right ? :confused:
and thanks once again for helping this total n00bi3
:D C'ya ~n~ EQ :p

high_jeeves
03-06-2002, 11:28 AM
No, you will need one modem for the entire setup, and it will be in your redhat box. Assuming you already have one, you just need to move it over.

--Jeeves

Sparkz
03-06-2002, 11:34 AM
i have a modem in my winbox, but its a winmodem, and i thought winmodems are not compatible with linux machines

high_jeeves
03-06-2002, 11:47 AM
They can be used in linux, but yeah, if its a winmodem, I would just go buy a real one for $30...

--Jeeves

Sparkz
03-14-2002, 11:19 AM
ok guys i now have an ISA modem (SF-1156HV) but cannot get it installed, can anyone point me in the direction of a good Howto or something, i have been searching but i guess i just need to find a good walkthru, sorry for being such a pest...damn this is depressing me :( cya roun i guess & thanks again

S_B_R
03-14-2002, 03:24 PM
The Linux Documentation Project (http://www.linuxdoc.org/)