PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question, IPForwarding with Linksys Cable Router

SomeNecro
03-06-2002, 05:06 PM
Hi all, posting this in hopes that I can get this running correctly.

I've seen several posts on setting up your linux box as a gateway using a dial up connection, but haven't seen any for my configuration. I have a linksys cable/dsl router model BEFSR41. My current connection looks like this:

.................................../-WinXPBox running EQ
cable modem -> cable-modem-router <
...................................\-Redhat 7.2 running showeq

Now, my problem is I can't see the packets on the showeq box. Can anyone recommend a solution so that I can get showeq working properly? I really like the firewall that the router provides, so I'd like to keep it between the modem and any computers I'm running. I know Linux can be set up as a very secure firewall but I'm a relative noob.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Heh, damn board ate my whitespace... reformatting it so it's clearer.

grinningpizza
03-06-2002, 05:31 PM
That router has a built in switch, not hub. you need to get a hub too.

Plug the new hub into the router. THen the PCs into the hub. Switches direct packets while hubs broadcast.

I could be speaking out my ass, but I'm fairly certain.

I have a 10MB hub that works. but my 100/10 MB labeled "hub" doesnt work.

Now if someone could recomend a working 100/10 MB hub that works, i'd go buy that. =)

SomeNecro
03-06-2002, 05:35 PM
Sweet, I was thinking this might be the solution, thanks for the quick reply. Just fished an old hub out of my bedroom and gonna give it a shot!

Yueh
03-06-2002, 05:54 PM
What! No flames! No snide remarks about the search button. Nothing! This community is going downhill fast ;)

And yes, the hub will fix you up.

SomeNecro
03-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Hehe, I appreciate the no flames but I'm very fire retardent anyways! Got it working no problem, thanks for the advice.

I didn't use the search button, only myself to blame. I did look thru the first 3 pages or so looking but didn't see anything.

This program is great, gonna take some time to learn all of it's options, thanks again. You guys rock!

high_jeeves
03-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Ack! I was at work! Sorry to dissapoint, Yueh! This question has been aswered many times! Use search! grinningpizza has the right answer tho. (Did I get them all Yueh?)

--Jeeves

Yueh
03-07-2002, 08:49 AM
I don't know Jeeves, that was awfully polite, I suppose it'll do in a pinch though :D