PDA

View Full Version : SEQ stopped working - INVALID PACKET Bad CRC32

Southpaw
03-09-2002, 05:27 PM
After months of running great, SEQ barfed today. The application loads ok, but never gets populated with data. I suspect its not sniffing packets properly since I get the following error in the console:

INVALID PACKET: Bad CRC32 <a bunch of ip addy info>

I fired up a second (older/slower) SEQ box (that works) and found that some of these errors seem common at initial EQ launch, server select, etc. But after character select these errors disappear, however, on my 'broken' machine they still occur.

The broken machine has been running the current CVS for about a week without any errors, so I don't think rolling back to an earlier version will fix anything.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot/repair this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Southpaw
03-10-2002, 05:41 PM
I decided to reinstall 7.2 on the 'problem' machine, and was troubled when the problem persisted.

Any help as to why this started happening would be greatly appreciated.

I pulled out the second NIC, which did not help.

The only service that is configured on the new install is samba.

Can any linux gurus offer some advice on how to continue diagnosing this?

Thanks in advance

SP

ballz
03-12-2002, 08:52 AM
I'm getting the same error with a fresh install of red hat 7.2

I also noticed that the error pops up even if eq isn't running on the winx box just changing to another web page throws up the error.

I have yet to purchace a "dumb" hub was seing if i could get it to work with my Linksys BEFSR41. I will be buying a hub today and will post a reply to wether this helped or not

--ballz

S_B_R
03-12-2002, 03:45 PM
I don't think this is a Linux or a SEQ problem. sounds like someone is attacking your box. Sending Invalid packets and what not...

What ISP are you using, and what type of connaction (i.e. cable DSL dialup)... how is your network setup?

ballz
03-12-2002, 04:32 PM
I use at&t cable access.

K here's what i found.. Just went out and bought a netgear EN104tp 4port 10mg hub. Pluged it into my Linksys router/switch (BEFSR41) just to see if adding a 10mg device would work.. for me it didn't. so i swaped my eqbox and my rhbox onto the new hub, seq works great.. i had 2 bad crc errors and that was when i was first loading up eq.. after i loged in there were no more crc errors.

Don't know if that will help but thought i'd let ya know

oh ya before i had the hub i got nothing on the maps and no sniffing now it works perfect =)

--ballz

S_B_R
03-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if you Linksys router is corrupting packets some how. I wonder if southpaw is using one of those routers..?

Southpaw
03-17-2002, 05:51 PM
After yet another cvs checkout, I decided to roll back to a cvs version from mid January, and low and behold, stuff started working again.

Eventually, I went ahead and checked out the latest code (again), and it seems to work too...although, if I attempt to use the vanilla showeq.conf.dist file (renamed as needed) the problem returns. My guess is it has something to do with the 127.0.0.1 entry in the conf file.

My setup has my EQ client and Linux box plugged into a 'hub' which is daisy chained to a switch (and then my internet connection). I am wondering if the existence of the switch is somehow causing the problem?

SP

phatogre
05-11-2002, 12:45 AM
Its more than likely the hub/switch you are using. I had the exact same problem with using one of those cheepo linksys routers.

Its the switching fabric itself thats an issue, when seq box & eq machine is plugged into a seperate hub (uplinked off the linksys) the problem is solved. Hence...just the hub part of the linksys thats an issue, not its NAT/Router process.

Hope the above helps.