PDA

View Full Version : Help on Debian please

Mornie
03-10-2002, 03:40 AM
I have been messing around with my debian linux box for a while now trying to get the required packages but it seems that not all the packages needed are compatiable with eachother. (as far as I can see)

I run a potato dist stable version atm, as that is the only one I got working with x for the time beeing (been fooling around with testing and unstable too but it seems to carsh my x)

Any help here would be appreciated, specially around obatining qt-2.3.2. (can compile gcc3 if nesecary)

Mornie

S_B_R
03-10-2002, 04:30 AM
QT: ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz
when you go to compile it I suggest using the configuration
options that Zaphod posted in his HOWTO: (http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70)

./configure -release -shared -gif -xft -sm -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -no-g++-exceptions -thread

compile it after you get gcc3.

Mornie
03-10-2002, 04:50 AM
one more question then...

what did you do with libstdc libs and glibc...
did you recompile new ones??

my apt-get only has the libstdc2.9 and glibc2.1..

and should I have these libs upgraded before compiling gcc3?

fryfrog
03-10-2002, 08:13 AM
not many of us use debian ourselves, but i know the devs do. i also think that one of the devs (casey?) wrote a short guide to getting it working on debian. i'm pretty sure that almost everything you need is available as an "apt-get" type thing. search the forum for "debian" and see if you can come up with his guide.

slashguy34
03-11-2002, 10:46 PM
I use the woody version of debian so i run all the testing things in apt-get by default but you are going to have to chagne your access lists to include the testing and unstable directories which will contain newer , but more unstable versions of everything. To do this just use dselect and change your access methods. There are not as many servers that provide unstable and testing but there are still a fair amount