PDA

View Full Version : Slooowww zoning.

Cyra
03-11-2002, 01:06 PM
Hi fellas,

A couple questions for the smarties out there...

1. I was curious why my SEQ zones so slowly. Then I looked at the Terminal window and found that every time I zone, it does a whole item list of all my gear (even the stuff in the bank.) Is there a way to turn this off?

2. I don't seem to be able to fade different floors and spawns on different levels. This is unpleasant in places like Seb and Hate. Is there anything I can do about this?

/hugs and thanks in advance.

Cyra

Cyra
03-11-2002, 01:23 PM
Sorry, forget the second question. Search works fine, and for others having the same question

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185&highlight=floor

I do have another question though....

3. What determines how often a mob's position is updated? Is it Server-side, or is there something I can do to my settings to have truer tracking? I upgraded my SEQ box hoping that would help, but no luck:(

l0s3r
03-11-2002, 01:52 PM
used to be able to add a --no-bank option when you ran it from the console. Haven't tried it with v4.0, assuming its still there.

S_B_R
03-11-2002, 02:18 PM
the --no-bank doesn't appear to be a valid commandline arg any longer. I don't think that would make any difference anyway because I don't think that data is encrypted, it's just sent to the client everytime you zone so that the client knows what lore items you have in the bank so you can pickup another identical lore item. You'll notice a simular thing happens when you use an NPC merchant...

Can you describe what you mean exactly by "Slow Zoning"?

The mob data you are sent is controlled server side. You might be able to adjust your datarate to see if that improves anything. there's a file in your everquest directory called datarate.txt. It defaults to 4 or 5 and can be set as high as 9. bascially the datarate setting tells the sever how much data you connection can handle.

Cyra
03-11-2002, 04:29 PM
My EQ Client zones just fine...average 10 seconds. My SEQ doesn't. It takes much longer.

For some reason, it seems to be doing an inventory every time I zone.

Terminal Window-
Item: Dagger of Frost
Item: Container: Backpack
Item: Container: Slots: 8,...
ad nauseum.

I know that the Server side has to send out this info, but does my SEQ client have to receive it? Surely there is a way to bypass this nonsense.

/hugs and thanks in advance.

Cyra

S_B_R
03-11-2002, 04:43 PM
It is basically ignoring now, it's just displaying in the terminal. There's an Option in the showeq.conf file call "UseStdout" change that from 1 to 0 and I think that will get rid of those messages.

Cyra
03-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Thank you SBR. While this did eliminate the messages, I still do not load immediately. Even though the messages aren't there, I assume that something in SEQ is still cateloging that Bank information.

Once upon a time, I do recall my SEQ client loading just as fast as my EQ client. I would dearly love to get back to that.

This brings up a couple questions now.

1. Why is SEQ cataloging my Bank info?
2. How do I turn that function off?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I promise to stop asking questions soon.

Cyra

S_B_R
03-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Did you try the Datrate tweak I mentioned? I seriously doubt that the "cataloging" of your item info has anything to do with SEQ zoning slowly.

Cryonic
03-11-2002, 05:18 PM
My guess, SEQ is finding the key while you are still zoning in. So instead of displaying the zone, it goes ahead and decodes the zone information, then displays it. Since you don't say it is coming up with the zone decoded I can only guess.

Why it decodes your bank stuff (or more accurately expands it) is so that it knows all the +mana and +hp items that you have so it can more accurately track HP and MANA for your character. Without knowing these items it will underestimate your HP and MANA.

Cyra
03-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Thanks fellas. I am learning a lot today.

SBR -
I currently have my datarate at 9.0.

Cryonic -
It hangs (best description from a limited tech vocabulary) regardless of whether it gets the key or not. Once it is finished inventorying my items, I get a map/spawn readout. If it has found the key in that time, they are detailed. If not, the mobs are grey.

It makes sense what you are saying about the HP/Mana items. However, since the mob/map info is the most important to me (my character doesnt have mana,) is there a way to disable that function?

/hugs and thank yous.

Cyra

S_B_R
03-11-2002, 05:36 PM
Set your datarate to 5 and give it a shot.

Cyra
03-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Tried switching data rate and it didn't change anything.

However, based on what Cryonic said, I turned off ShowMana, ShowHitpoints and eliminated the Stat window.

Et Viola! Back to fast zoning speeds.

Thank you all for your help. I am deeply grateful.

Cyra