PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ and Raspberry Pi

BlueAdept
02-15-2013, 09:04 PM
I ordered a Raspberry Pi. After I get it, I am going to see if I can get Showeq to run on it. It will take me a while to get the the Pi and then I am going to fool around with it for a while before I attempt ShowEQ.

Has anyone else tried it?

Spanners
04-18-2013, 07:46 AM
I've been thinking of trying this, a portable showeq solution to plug into hotel tv's for those working away could be useful .. ;)

ShortBuss
04-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Hmm, well now I finally have a reason to look at getting one of these. Need to do some research to figure out which linux distributions are available for it. Also would need to figure out how to route the ShowEQ traffic over to it. Could just use wifi connected on an open network. Most hotel wifi is open now, but unfortunately a lot of them seem to be moving to special routers that isolate every IP address. Likely best to stick with wired network and carry an old hub with you also.

BlueAdept
04-18-2013, 05:38 PM
I unfortunately haven't had time to even play with my raspberry pi I got. It does have 1 wired network. You could probably put a usb network (wired or wireless) card in it if you are going to use it as a router. Inet-pi-laptop.
It runs debian is the standard, but there is a RH distro. You will probably have to add a lot of packages to get it to run. Good news is that I have a 32gb sd card and have plenty of space....so far.

Razzle
04-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Oh I want one. I might order one of those tonight. I need a linux machine and this would be perfect.

Razzle

BlueAdept
04-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Just so you know, display took a bit of configuration for it to work with hdmi. Can easily be used with composite but you are limited in resolution then. The best place to get one is ebay. You may pay a couple extra bucks but at least you will get it fairly quickly. Mouser electronics has them too. Getting one from the main raspberry pi site will take you 3-6 months to get. They are that far in back orders. It does not include a power supply. It runs off a usb power (5 volts) or a case.

I dont think it is real powerful and if you are looking for horsepower in a small size, I would say to go with micro-itx or mini-itx.

They also have minecraft and mame for raspberry pi. I haven't tried either yet.

ShortBuss
04-19-2013, 07:05 AM
XBMC for Rasberry Pi is supposed to work really good as well and makes a great media center. Build a case for it out of Lego's to save some cash.

Razzle
05-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Anyone get it working with Rasp pi? Mine should be here next week. Not sure which dist would have qt3 support. This will be fun to play with til I build a full size mame arcade cabinet to put it in. Thats gonna be my summer project.

Razzle

BlueAdept
05-12-2013, 08:55 AM
You know my time is short when I have had this for a while now and still havent had time to play. I have a usb monitor and will be making it into a mame machine. I have 2 usb battery packs to run the monitor and pi.

The nice thing is you only need one pi and then just use a different SD card and you have a new pi... :)

There is a CentOS version for pi. I haven't tried it.

Razzle
05-12-2013, 10:30 AM
I showeq my wife what I was going build at http://www.arcadecab.com

She was so thrilled. Lol.

Razzle

BlueAdept
05-12-2013, 01:22 PM
I showeq my wife what I was going build at http://www.arcadecab.com

She was so thrilled. Lol.

Razzle

LOL Showeq my wife...shows you where your head is....

I know the pi doesnt have a lot of horse power, but it will run quite a few of the old games. I was planning on building a mame cabinet with the usb monitor and make it one that you can sit in your lap. I figure the 2 battery packs (one 30000va and one 22000va) should give me at least several hours of play.

Razzle
05-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Got a little time to play with my RPi. After getting the right packages installed in Raspbian Wheezy, it compiled and ran. I need to find my little cheapy hub to see if there are any issues with it running and stability. Maybe later this week.

Razzle

BlueAdept
05-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Cool. I still havent had the time yet. So damn busy...

Spanners
10-31-2013, 02:36 PM
I still haven't ordered mine, but the dark nights are now upon me, so it's either EQ or anything else while I sit on the sofa with 'er indoors watching the telly.

Spanners
11-15-2013, 12:53 PM
I have my pi.

I have configured it to be static ip, using a wired network.
I have added x-forwarding and ssh server
The x-forwarding over ssh (putty session) is working very well, the pi itself is nice and stable and my intention will be to run the pi totally headless and pull the showeq screen back onto my winows box using said x-forwarding (no idea how wel it will work but in theory it should be fine)

After some package installs (I'll bung some notes up in a while)

(and building direct from svn (thanks Francisk for the tutorial))

The pi has finished ./configure in a reasonable minute or so.
`make` is running and the pub beckons with the wife nagging me to get ready ....

updates in a couple of hours (if it finished compiling the interfaces by then) ...

Spanners
11-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Success!
Showeq running on a raspberry pi.

I just need to figure out quite which change allowed access to the x server.

Additionally, as I currently have the whole desktop / showeq running in xming I just need to play about a bit to get just the showeq window over an x-forwarded session.

unfortunately I can't post any images though (unable to copy/move file).

BlueAdept
11-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Awesome. How does it run?

Spanners
11-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Very well so far, just giving it a couple of hours of running to see if anything odd makes it crap out.

Spanners
11-16-2013, 02:09 PM
And a bit more update.

It seems to be very stable indeed, a definite improvemnt on the odd crash was to use session tracking and real time thread (Both from Network menu item) as zoning on 2 chars simultaneously was I think the primary cause of the buffer overflow.

I think all thet is left is to create a long list of easy to follow instrcution and everyone can have a showeq-pi :)

BlueAdept
11-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Or could post a generic OS image and put it on dropbox or something.

Spanners
11-17-2013, 04:58 PM
yeah, you aren't the first to say "can I have your image" which is porbably the easiest way to go but I probably need to do it from scratch to clear off the other os's and unused crap to clean it all up a bit.
The smallest part would be post "make" of teh source folder, leaving you to just "makes install" but you would need the pre-reqs of qt3, libtool, libpcap etc all being installed.

Spanners
11-17-2013, 04:59 PM
..and one day I'll learn to type as well.

I'm blaming my termporary keyboard and new glasses.

BlueAdept
11-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Lol just a suggestion. It probably wouldn't do me any good anyway. I havent been able to play EQ in probably a year now. Just dont have the time like I used to. For some reason, I got this bright idea to marry someone a couple years ago. What little time I had to myself is long gone.

Spanners
11-18-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm going to attempt a fully running card image, but I do have to go and drink some beer tonight so don't expect it until later in the week.
hopefully this way people can just load a card, set their own ip and run (or in case of updates, rebuild from svn and then run.

Marriage ain't that bad, you just need to get the eq<-> wife balance right, the had part is adding in a day job, social life and children. Spinning plates anyone?

BlueAdept
11-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I have a job that demands 10+ hours a day from me. The wife takes the rest.

Spanners
11-30-2013, 08:19 AM
As I haven't got round to an image yet, here is the best starting point I can provide:

Yes / next Ok or select the right bits (I think it asks for location, keyboard settings etc) and leave network as DHCP

Start with Raspbian, and after installing that, select advanced and start SSH server

you get to your nice pi@raspberry promt, install all of the following

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install xdm
apt-get install x11-apps
apt-get install libvte9
apt-get install qt3-dev-tools
apt-get install subversion
apt-get install libtool
apt-get install aclocal
apt-get install make
apt-get install automake
apt-get install libpcap-dev

Now to get some other bits done

mkdir /build
cd /build
svn checkout http://svn.code.sf.net/p/seq/svn/showeq/trunk showeq
cd showeq
make -f Makefile.dist build
./configure

The next one takes foooooooking ages.

make
make install

now if you are running the pi on what you will normally display it on, (tv) then we can just start showeq

showeq

You should now have a window . just need to set the ip to monitor in the network list, add some maps and also set network-> session tracking and network->real time thread

next check http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/pixming.php for info on how to get the window onto your windows pc, or you can rn showeq on your pi :)

Don't forget, you will need a set of maps too.

I think thats about it but ask any questions and I'll answer :)

BlueAdept
12-02-2013, 06:16 AM
That is great. Thanks!

BlueAdept
12-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Do you have it working on a hub or did you add a second network (usb?) card?

Spanners
12-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Mines on a hub, I'm thinking about trying to get it to run from say laptop->cat45->pi->wifi->router with the pi just proxying the traffic through, but not sure if it will manage to cope with the traffic better or worse, it would though remove the need for a hub if it does work that way ;)

Spanners
12-17-2013, 03:16 PM
additional note - my image is currently ~ 16gb which I think is probably a bit big for uploading /dl just for showeq.
Gonna have a rummage for a say 2gb card to do the install on, I know theres one here somewhere.

The notes above on what to install thoug are concise and should have the required results in less time than it would take do / upload /dl and write an image, and you still have to do the "make" which is ~1hour on a 512 model B pi.

BlueAdept
08-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Woot, finally made my raspberry pi SEQ box. I tried the fedora version first, because I really don't care for debian, but there were too many dependency problems. Wheezy installed fine.

Deuronn
08-30-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm looking to give this a try too. Was anyone successful with going the wifi route or should I go with the hub?

BlueAdept
08-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Used a usb network dongle and made it my router.

Deuronn
09-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks Spanners, your guide was great getting setup. I tried the wifi route and got everything up and running.

Now... what are my chances of doing an older compile successfully that would run on an emu server? I tried it from many different angles, but haven't been able to either get past the configure or makefile steps. Any tips? Is it even a possibility?

Thanks in advance for any input.

BlueAdept
09-06-2014, 06:49 AM
I believe it would work. It depends on if it needs a lower QT.

Greatful
10-08-2014, 01:40 AM
silly question but how do you load map onto the pi?

BlueAdept
10-08-2014, 06:10 AM
I added ftpd to it and just transferred the maps over.

BlueAdept
09-01-2016, 07:41 PM
With the release of the pi3, running SEQ on a pi is much better. It has a built in wifi and ethernet. What makes it great, is that you can turn the wifi into a wifi router. So now my laptop connects to the pi wirelessly and it runs SEQ!

See this page on how to set it up as a hotspot/router.

https://frillip.com/using-your-raspberry-pi-3-as-a-wifi-access-point-with-hostapd/

This is how I have my network.

Inet-wireless router-hard wire to pi-laptop via wireless on pi

I only have the my laptop going to the pi since I did not want to tax the built in wifi. So now I just have a new wireless network called SEQ and leave my laptop connected to it all the time.

I was reading up on how they are banning people for using vmware and virtualbox. That is how I had been testing and I didn't want to get my accounts banned (yes I could have created a free one but Im lazy. This was more fun).

So for about 40 bucks, I have a working SEQ machine that was dead simple to do.

BlueAdept
09-08-2016, 10:54 AM
I have used it a couple of times since I built it. For some reason, it doesn't always see the client. I have learned to do do the monitor for next client and then it works. I used it for a while with no problems.

Joe Blow
01-01-2017, 06:27 AM
One thing I've done to make sniffing network devices with Wireshark a lot easier on the job is use a RaspberryPi3 with a SharkTap (basically USB powered 3 port switch with one port configured as a span port). Both devices can be powered from a 2 port USB power pack so it's extremely convenient since all that's required is putting the tap in-line with the target system. I then configure the RaspberryPI to act as an Access Point only, not a router. This is so I can connect to the PI wirelessly and bring up a Wireshark session on my Windows laptop via X11. I think this might work with SEQ. The main advantages are that it's completely invisible, doesn't require the RaspberryPI do any Routing/NAT/etc..., and you can run Wireshark/SEQ on the same system as the EQ (via X11 and encrypted with ssh).

noobhaxor
02-19-2017, 09:53 PM
I absolutely love MySEQ and it has been a LONG time since I used Show EQ (probably 13-14 years) when it was in its infancy. I have a pi3 and decided to go ahead and expand it to load up ShowEQ. I'm noticing the install and readme files are mainly based on a Fedora distro. Since I'm on the pi with debian jessie I'm noticing a lot of dependencies aren't there. I'm tracking these down, but wanted to see if anyone already has a list. What was posted here is for QT3 (no longer supported) and I'm currently compiling the latest full build qt from downloads.qt.io which with all the options I hope will alleviate some of the dependency issues.

Overall, I'm just doing it to tinker and have a little fun, since I play live and use MySEQ extensively, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,
Noob

BlueAdept
02-20-2017, 08:31 AM
If you use Wheezy and do the following, it should work fine. On page 2, Spanners posted what was needed.

you get to your nice pi@raspberry promt, install all of the following

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install xdm
apt-get install x11-apps
apt-get install libvte9
apt-get install qt3-dev-tools
apt-get install subversion
apt-get install libtool
apt-get install aclocal
apt-get install make
apt-get install automake
apt-get install libpcap-dev

Now to get some other bits done

mkdir /build
cd /build
svn checkout http://svn.code.sf.net/p/seq/svn/showeq/trunk showeq
cd showeq
make -f Makefile.dist build
./configure

The next one takes foooooooking ages.

make
make install

If you get it to work on Jessie, please let us know what was done to help others.

Razzle
02-20-2017, 06:27 PM
I might have to get out that extra rpi and play with seq some. Need to brush up on my linux some.

Razzle

ancient_eq
07-02-2017, 10:11 PM
I have many Odroid-C2's (64-bit arm RPI clone from hardkernel) so have started building showeq for it. Of course I hit the QT3 issue so am about to build qt3 for it following this guys blog post about it (found in another thread in this forum): https://gist.github.com/cnelson/9b42986d3e98ee7431bf

Note: the Odroid-c2 I built this on run's an Ubuntu distribution for aarch64 (the 64-bit architecture)
Ubuntu: DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
Specs: Quad-core, 1gb nic, 64-bit, 2gb of ram, emmc or SD storage, around $40

The nice part about the C2 board is it supports the 42" 4k monitor next to my gaming machine, so should be a giant nice map when I'm done. I'm using a $39.95 smart hub: Mikrotik RouterBoard RB260G RB260GS Smart Gigabit Switch

Update: showeq is built for the ARM64 odroid-c2 and starts up fine. I just need to setup the smart hub to mirror the data over to the odroid-c2
I had to apply the QT3 patches and the showeq patches from the above link to get it to build.

ancient_eq
07-06-2017, 03:14 PM
The Mikrotik Routerboard finally showed up and I mirrored port 2 egress/ingress to port 3, started up showeq on the Odroid-C2, told it the IP address of my Windows gaming machine and loaded up Project 1999 (please note I'm only doing this on project 1999 since I no longer play Everquest and just wanted to test this out on the Odroid C2).

It crashes with the following (it's been so many years since I off-lined the my parts of the brain used to hack showeq that I'll have to research how to fix it). However it does run fine on the Odroid-C2 so that would be a great low-cost showeq box (fanless, quiet with 1gb nic and 4k monitor support).
Until I recall how to fix the showeq code I can only report it looks great and starts to draw the map.... anyway here is the error:

Warning: INVALID PACKET: Bad CRC [192.168.1.aa:xxx -> 239.255.255.zzz:tttt] netOp 534d seq 0000 len 137 crc (0d0a != 28c9)
Warning: INVALID PACKET: Bad CRC [192.168.1.aa:xxx -> 239.255.255.zzz:tttt] netOp 534d seq 0000 len 137 crc (0d0a != 28c9)
Time: xxxxxxx
Warning: OP_Consider (0x254d) (dataLen: 12) doesn't match: sizeof(considerStruct):28
Warning: OP_NewZone (0x920) (dataLen: 700) doesn't match: sizeof(newZoneStruct):796
Player: Exp: Set: zzzzzz total, with zzzzzzz (a/b) into level with zzzzz left, where a/bbb = tttt
*** buffer overflow detected ***: showeq terminated
Aborted

ancient_eq
07-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Testing with: showeq-5.2.5.0

To prevent buffer overflow had to edit: ~/conf/zoneopcodes.xml
<!-- crashes if this opcode is left in with a buffer overflow in a sprintf
<opcode id="5ecd" name="OP_ExpUpdate" updated="12/07/05">
<comment>old ExpUpdateCode</comment>
<payload dir="server" typename="expUpdateStruct" sizechecktype="match"/>
</opcode>
-->

To match up structures for p1999 had to edit everquest.h:

struct newZoneStruct
{
/*0000*/ char name[64]; // Character name
... cut ...
/*0616*/ uint8_t unknown0616[84]; // fix
/*0700*/ // fix
/*0616*/ //uint8_t unknown0616[172]; // *** Placeholder
/*0788*/ //uint8_t unknown0788[4]; // *** Placeholder (06/29/2005)
/*0792*/ //uint8_t unknown0792[4]; // *** Placeholder (09/13/2005)
}; /*0796*/
^^^ 700 byte payload in P1999

struct charProfileStruct
{
/*00000*/ uint32_t checksum; //
... cut ...
/*19588*/ uint32_t showhelm; // 0=no, 1=yes
/*19592*/ // uint8_t unknown19592[4]; // ***Placeholder (10/27/2005)
/*19596*/ // uint32_t unknown19596; // *** Placeholder
/*19600*/
};
^^^^ 19592 byte payload in P1999

It works fine on the Odroid-c2, performance was very good. There is still a crash when I cast a spell on a mob
but for the purposes of testing a 64-bit ARM board as a cheap showeq server with 4k monitor support it worked great.

ancient_eq
07-08-2017, 11:18 PM
On the Odroid-C2 I did note some messages like this:
Warning: SEQ: Giving up on finding arq 0186 in stream zone-client cache, skipping!
Warning: SEQ: Giving up on finding arq 01b1 in stream zone-client cache, skipping!
Warning: SEQ: Giving up on finding arq 01b2 in stream zone-client cache, skipping!

The fix I did was to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the following (sysctl -p afterwards to load)
net.core.rmem_default=524288
net.core.rmem_max=2097152
net.core.netdev_max_backlog=3000
(note: you could probably also just do real-time network thread)

====== spell cast crash
When casting upon a mob the crash happens here:
Thread 1 "showeq" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
strlen () at ../sysdeps/aarch64/strlen.S:92
92 ../sysdeps/aarch64/strlen.S: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0 strlen () at ../sysdeps/aarch64/strlen.S:92
#1 0x0000007fb7cf5254 in QString::fromUtf8(char const*, int) () from /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#2 0x00000000004de128 in EQStr::formatMessage (this=0x65a3e0, formatid=<optimized out>,
arguments=0x7fffffc2f5 "\331\065+\003\nP`\270\371\340\227\363;ټC),\f\f\022 \f\234\f\201\322Y e`\341\330\324CL\ac\216\262Ŋ", argsLen=18446744073709551608) at eqstr.cpp:165
#3 0x00000000004ea69c in MessageShell::formattedMessage (this=this@entry=0x6e2750, data=<optimized out>,
len=<optimized out>, dir=<optimized out>) at messageshell.cpp:177

To fix it: edit messageshell.cpp (add the return and it will ignore channel messages)
void MessageShell::formattedMessage(const uint8_t* data, size_t len, uint8_t dir)
{
return; // hack fix
// avoid client chatter and do nothing if not viewing channel messages
if (dir == DIR_Client)
return;

====== Opcode changes:
There appear to be some opcode changes in p1999 from the last working copy of seq. There are no mob position updates as that opcode appears to have changed. There are few others too such as this one:
Warning: OP_GroundSpawn (0x3bc2) (dataLen: 8) doesn't match: sizeof(makeDropStruct):92

====== Notes: I was more interested in checking the Odroid-C2's performance than fixing SEQ on P1999. With minor tuning the C2 appears to keep up with the network traffic and do screen updates of your character movements on the map.
I cannot check yet how it would perform at 4k monitor resolution with 100's of mob movement updates.
Perhaps with the fixes I noted to keep it from crashing someone can look at the opcode changes.

ancient_eq
07-11-2017, 03:40 PM
I went ahead and bit the bullet and downloaded the live game onto a computer and tested the latest showeq (using live servers not P1999) on the Odroid-C2 with full zone spawns. The Odroid-C2 keeps up fine at 4k monitor resolution (42" 4k monitor 30hz), it only started to bog down a bit when I turned full logging on, but that was just to test if it could still keep up while logging to the SD card.

reviews
11-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Thanks in advance for any input.

Sigur
03-11-2018, 11:19 PM
Hello all, been trying to get this running on my pi3, and have gotten stuck.

When I try to "apt-get install qt3-dev-tools" Raspbian was unable to locate this package. This causes my ./configure to fail as it can't find Qt devel.

I guess qt3 this is too old and maybe no longer in the library? I found a tar.gz archive of old QT versions, but i'm not sure i'm up to the task of manually installing. Anyone else run into this or have any sugestions of how to get qt3-dev-tools installed on raspbian?

BlueAdept
03-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Sigur make sure you run wheezy for ShowEQ. I dont think it will work on newer ones. It does support pi3

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2015-05-07/

Sigur
03-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was using the latest version of Raspbian. I tried a the latest wheezy image from the archives and it wouldn't boot on my pi3. Seemed like it was the wrong kernal or something, I just assumed maybe Wheezy wouldn't work on the newer pi3, good to know that it does.. I'll give the images you linked a try and see how it goes.

BlueAdept
03-12-2018, 06:59 PM
This is from SF.

"Raspbian wheezy compatible with Pi Zero & Pi 3

This is just an untouched image from:

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2015-05-07/

updated with:

sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get update

so that it will boot on the Pi Zero and Pi 3

Requires 4GB SD card minimum.

Login: pi / raspberry

use "sudo raspi-config" if you want to set it to auto login to desktop...."

It should work. It shows it is compatible.

BlueAdept
03-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Actually after I read further, this might be my case.

"Wheezy will support the Pi-3 if it's firmware is first fully updated in an older pi with:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
then remove the SD card and put it in a Pi-3 and it will boot fine."

I do have it working in pi3 but I did have it on Pi2 first. I took it out and moved it to my pi3 and it worked. My fault. Sorry. I didn't realize it.

I will see if I can find a pi2 and update wheezy and maybe attach it here. I am not sure I even have a pi2 anymore but I will look.

Sigur
03-12-2018, 11:03 PM
Interesting. This is the one I tried that did not boot https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbian/. Looks like it was an older version. I just picked the newest one with wheezy in the folder name and didn't notice that many of the newer ones like what you linked were also wheezy builds. I can give it a try just to check when I get a chance. I would be curious if anyone has found a build that works, that can be installed directly on pi3 without the firmware update in the older pi. I guess the solution is clear if you are in possession of an older pi for the firmware update, but I am not. Not critical for me, I can carry on with old shuttle PC and Centos, but it just seemed like a fun project to get it working on the pi for a small efficient footprint.

BlueAdept
03-13-2018, 09:17 AM
I believe I have my pi2. I think I found it. If it is, I will make an image that is updated for the pi3. Ill probably put it on Mega.nz. I am off so I will see what I can do/figure out.

BlueAdept
03-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Actually I looked and found that my Pi3 is running Jessie. I will experiment to see what needs to be done.

Sigur
03-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Ok well I haven’t tried a Jessie build. Stretch couldn’t find qt3-dev-tools and Wheezy wouldn’t boot. Looks like Jessie 2016-02-26 is first release to support pi3 out of the box so if it can install qt3 dev tools that might be the answer. I will confirm when I have a chance to try it.

BlueAdept
03-13-2018, 02:38 PM
I did the last Jessie and it seems to be fine so far. Only thing that so far it couldn't find is aclocal but after reading, it is already included when you install automake (I havent verified, but forums say that).

Edit: Everything compiled fine with Jessie. No issues. Looks like Jessie is the way to go on a Pi3.

Sigur
03-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the help. Been distracted with RL but will give it a go when I get a chance.

BlueAdept
03-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Just announced the 3b+ will be available soon. I hope it runs on Jessie. Overcomes some of the things lacking on 3b, namely AC wireless and Gigabit ethernet.

that0neguy1126
04-16-2018, 11:41 PM
I recently got back into EQ and looking for help in setting up ShowEQ with latest raspberry pi 3b+. Spent most of the day trying to get it compiled but running into the QT3 issue. I finally found a link on installing QT3 but now getting missing libraries error, I think this is because the compile of QT3 was interupted and never finished but it had been going for hours. Anyone know what the normal time to compile QT3 is?

Or if there is any easier way, would love some feedback/guidance.

BlueAdept
04-17-2018, 12:44 PM
I havent tried it on a 3b+ yet only a 3b. I think SEQ will only run on Jessie, at least no one has gotten it to run on later ones. I dont know if you can get jessie to run on a 3b+

that0neguy1126
04-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Ok thanks will check out to see if its possible to put Jessie on. QT3 is giving me a major headache. keep getting error about unable to bind when trying to ./configure

BlueAdept
04-17-2018, 03:06 PM
QT3 is quite old. Any volunteers to update SEQ to QT4 or 5?

BlueAdept
04-17-2018, 07:42 PM
Very sad. I got my 3b+ and took my card from 3b and put it in but it would not boot. Would have been nice to have gigabit and ac wifi (also would have to figure out how to make it a wireless router too since it is a different chip set). Guess I will just have to stick to 3b and jessie.

I tried ubuntu mate and it doesnt boot. I guess I will have to wait for some of the other OSes to be updated before I can test

that0neguy1126
04-18-2018, 07:36 AM
That sucks. Will have to order a 3b and go from there.

BlueAdept
04-18-2018, 02:50 PM
supposedly qt3 is available on ubuntu mate but you will have to wait to see. Some people have gotten ubuntu mate to boot but no wifi. I am sure there will be a release in a little bit. B+ is still very new.

vindr3d
07-06-2018, 03:25 PM
Hey guys. Just found this thread. Has anyone been able to figure out the qt3 issue for 3b+? I got all excited about my pi and even more so when my friend mentioned showeq! =D

BlueAdept
07-08-2018, 09:50 AM
I have not found a way to install qt3 on pi 3b+. There is a package called "libqt4-qt3support" which might provide some compability but I do not know if it will work.

Anyone want to convert SEQ to QT4 or 5?

BlueAdept
07-12-2018, 06:28 PM
After further research ror the pi 3b+, there doesn't seem to be any repository for QT3 on Stretch (and future releases). It is possible to get Jessie to run on the pi 3b+, but it requires installing on a pi 3b then updating and upgrading. Then you also need to install the drivers for the wifi. After that, it should work on 3b+.

I only have 32gb cards (and larger). I may be able to upload an image somewhere. My concern is the future. Unless we can get SEQ update to QT4 or 5, newer PIs wont work and in the future, only older distros will be compatible.

vindr3d
07-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Blue,

I appreciate the response. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Life has been crazy and I forgot about this post. haha.

BlueAdept
07-23-2018, 07:35 AM
It wasn't necessarily directed at you. I was just following up on my research and relaying the results.

I wish someone knew enough to convert ShowEQ to QT 4 or 5. I haven't programmed since the 80s and never dealt with QT. It would open up ShowEQ to a variety of other flavors instead of having to use old versions of linux.

If someone was able/willing to do it, maybe we could get a go fund me page going to raise money to fund it.

BlueAdept
08-18-2018, 06:13 PM
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=208596

How to upgrade jessie to pi3 b+ need a pi3 b to do it.

I am working on seeing if I can make an image that will work on 3b+

This is the last Jessie build. After this stretch started. Only works with 3b not 3b+

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2017-07-05/

BlueAdept
08-22-2018, 06:10 PM
I believe I will have a treat for anyone with a pi 3b PLUS. After much experimentation, I was able to keep raspbian jessie from expanding to keep its original size and expanding the partition just enough to update the kernel, wifi driver for the new chipset and packages needed for ShowEQ. This means the image will work with pi 3b+ and it will act just like you would if you downloaded the raspbian image from raspberrypi.org except you dont have to update the required packages, and it works with 3b+. On first run, it will expand to the size of your SD card.

The image is 5G. Up from the original 4.3G.

I know ShowEQ compiles, but I want to make sure it fully works. It is going to take me a bit to do that. I also need a place to host the image. It will probably be on Mega as long as it doesn't exceed their file size limit. May need to split it into two.

BlueAdept
09-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Here is the image that I created. It is Jessie and will work on Pi 3b+. I also updated all the packages and installed the extra packages needed for Showeq. Enjoy....

https://mega.nz/#!6egikIIA!_zbgaDj56AFkXD3EKt7gXUlYk9WDRc8e0TQJoIz PWgM

Let me know if anyone has issues with it.

BlueAdept
09-06-2018, 03:09 PM
If anyone has tried this, please let me know if it worked for you.

Tophu
01-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Thanks for uploading the image BlueAdept. Tried downloading twice, zip extracted fine, but the img file appears to be corrupt.

BlueAdept
01-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Hmm. Before I had posted, I had downloaded and loaded on a card to test. It had worked then. I am working all weekend but I will try downloading and burning it again on Monday. You were using a pi3 b+ correct?

Tophu
01-28-2019, 10:13 AM
I have a 3 b+, but was not able to get the img file to open up to load into card.

BlueAdept
01-28-2019, 07:23 PM
Well unfortunately I am not going to be able to work on it for a bit. My 1 1/4 year old HP lapstop just died today. 1 year warranty so there goes 1000 down the drain. It appears to be be the motherboard. Apparently it is a common problem for HP. I will never buy another HP again.

allphuctup
02-02-2019, 07:47 PM
EDIT: I have the image running on my RBPi 3. Now I just need to remember how to install and run ShowEQ. It's been several years! Is there a setup guide?

BlueAdept
02-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Instructions here.

http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?7344-ShowEQ-5-13-10-78-for-Live-1-16-19

drake
03-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Has anyone else tried this? I want to pull the trigger on a B+ so I have the most options when I use it for other things but I really want to use it for this.

BlueAdept
03-06-2019, 02:15 PM
I have not tried since I upgraded my 3b image to 3b+.

As Edward posted, with that site and those instructions, you should be able to compile qt3 on the newest image.

drake
03-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Okay, I'll give it a shot. It should come by Friday. Will post here with my progress. Since it is a B+ I am getting I'll use that image you posted.

drake
03-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Success! This little thing rocks. It was almost too easy. I used the image provided with the install instructions, used the guide on earlier pages about using the Pi as a router and going: Internet (Ethernet) Pi (WiFi) Computer. I'm casting the Pi screen via VNC to my laptop. Did it all in one long sitting as a total Pi and Linux noob. Thanks everybody for such awesome documentation and help here, ESPECIALLY that image you provided, Blue. It was nice being able to get a B+ and still run SEQ.

My only question is will running VNC make my SEQing less secure and more prone to detection? I'm on a Truebox server but I'm pretty sure that's not something they flag like VMs.

BlueAdept
05-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Alert sounds not working.

I use a bluetooth speaker. I found that the bt speaker works as pi, but not when you sudo or change to root. Pulled what little hair I had out over this issue but I came up with a work around.
As the user Pi in the home dir (/home/pi) create a new file named playsound.sh edit it and put this in it.

#! /bin/sh
aplay $1

Then from the alert change it to this

sudo -u pi /home/pi/playsound.sh /path/to/sound/sound-to-play.wav

itchybawls
05-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Thanks Blue!
I was able to install your image and get ShowEQ to run but I am getting no colors.

Using config file '/home/itchynades/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Unable to open file: /home/itchynades/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Info: Listening for client: 192.168.1.13
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host 192.168.1.13
Warning: Spells: Failed to open: '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_us.txt'
Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /home/itchynades/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat
Info: Loading Filters from '/usr/local/bin'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /usr/local/bin
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /usr/local/bin
Info: Categories Reloaded
Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/home/itchynades/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!
Info: Loaded 7026 message strings from '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt' maxFormat=35153
Info: Attempting to load map: /home/itchynades/.showeq/maps/maps/abysmal_1.txt
Info: Loaded SOE map: '/home/itchynades/.showeq/maps/maps/abysmal_1.txt'
Info: Listening for IP client: 192.168.1.13
Debug: PCAP Filter Set: udp[0:2] > 1024 and udp[2:2] > 1024 and ether proto 0x0800 and host 192.168.1.13

BlueAdept
05-18-2019, 03:37 PM
did you update the version of showeq?

how do you have thing connected?

should be inet pi laptop wireless connection to pi. either that or you will need to set the pi up as your primary gateway or have a switch that can forward packets to your pi.

BlueAdept
07-21-2019, 03:10 PM
After the most recent apt-get upgrade, SEQ threw an error. struct bazaarSearchResponseStruct response[] in everquest.h needs to be changed to struct bazaarSearchResponseStruct response[0] to be able to get it to compile.

Shinigami
09-05-2020, 08:39 PM
Is this still a viable way to use SEQ?

BlueAdept
09-06-2020, 07:30 AM
As far as I know if you build it with a Pi 3b or 3b+ it should still work. I havent tried it on a 4 yet.

Shinigami
09-06-2020, 10:04 AM
As far as I know if you build it with a Pi 3b or 3b+ it should still work. I havent tried it on a 4 yet.
Cheers. Do you know if CentOS 7.x is ok, or will qt be an issue?

BlueAdept
09-09-2020, 04:06 PM
Use raspbian for the OS. I dont think CentOS supports ARM cpus. You might have to get an older version of raspbian for it to work.

splooge
09-16-2020, 01:00 PM
CentOS 7 is working fine for me on a Pi 4B 4G.

http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/centos-altarch/7/isos/armhfp/

From my notes from about a year ago or so:

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
yum install qt-devel libpcap-devel xorg-x11-server-Xorg xorg-x11-xauth xorg-x11-apps

I experience frequent 'freezes' with my setup, though, and I'm not sure what causes it. It doesn't freeze to the point that showeq needs to be restarted, it just stops updating until I zone and then it starts working again. I've tried using strace to see if there's anything obvious I can see but other than hundreds of gettimeofday() calls per second, I don't notice anything. I'm no strace expert, though.

an old hacker
09-16-2020, 01:32 PM
CentOS 7 is working fine for me on a Pi 4B 4G.

http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/centos-altarch/7/isos/armhfp/

From my notes from about a year ago or so:

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
yum install qt-devel libpcap-devel xorg-x11-server-Xorg xorg-x11-xauth xorg-x11-apps

I experience frequent 'freezes' with my setup, though, and I'm not sure what causes it. It doesn't freeze to the point that showeq needs to be restarted, it just stops updating until I zone and then it starts working again. I've tried using strace to see if there's anything obvious I can see but other than hundreds of gettimeofday() calls per second, I don't notice anything. I'm no strace expert, though.

I run in a (Debian) Buster based image on Rock64 (ARM64) also 4GB memory and at times I experience frequent freezes. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it does not. I suspect it's related to the rate of incoming packets which seq has to process. I haven't had time to dig extensively into the C++ to validate. It's possible we're seeing similar behaviour.

splooge
09-16-2020, 01:48 PM
I run in a (Debian) Buster based image on Rock64 (ARM64) also 4GB memory and at times I experience frequent freezes. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it does not. I suspect it's related to the rate of incoming packets which seq has to process. I haven't had time to dig extensively into the C++ to validate. It's possible we're seeing similar behaviour.

Certainly possible. I play on the TLP's and I notice it happening more and more each expansion release. It started getting bad around Planes of Power and just got progressively worse from there.

I wonder if x86 people are having the same issue or if it's just us ARM folk.

Shinigami
09-21-2020, 11:57 PM
Heh I am currently using CentOS 6.10 on a super slow/old laptop, but if Pis are prone to freezing, that doesn't sound like much of an upgrade. Has anyone tried any of the Windows 10 sticks like https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Computer-Processor-BOXSTK1AW32SCR/dp/B01ASB0DJ8 etc?

BlueAdept
09-22-2020, 01:53 PM
I have no problem with my Pi 3b+. It is rock steady. It has been running without reboot since last November when I moved. It is running raspbian.

Shinigami
09-22-2020, 03:27 PM
I have no problem with my Pi 3b+. It is rock steady. It has been running without reboot since last November when I moved. It is running raspbian.
Good, I'll give it a try then. Which version of raspbian do you use with it?

BlueAdept
09-23-2020, 08:15 AM
This post on page 6.

After many years of lurking, I may finally have something worthy of contribution.

I successfully compiled QT3 and the latest showeq on a Pi 3B+ running the Raspbian Stretch 2018-10-09 desktop image:

-- Install the following packages: subversion libtool automake libpcap-dev libx11-dev libxext-dev gcc-4.9 g++-4.9
-- Download qt-x11-free-3.3.8b.tar.gz from https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/3/
-- Set some environment variables in .bashrc or whatever location is appropriate for your shell. Adjust paths for your system, if desired.
Code:
QTDIR=/usr/local/qt3
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
-- Save the following code to a file, and apply the patch to the qt sources, via 'patch -p1 < patchfile' :
Code:
--- qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/qglobal.h.orig 2007-04-24 09:02:36.000000000 -0400
+++ qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/qglobal.h 2007-04-24 09:03:02.000000000 -0400
@@ -315,9 +315,9 @@
QString bloat. However, gcc 3.4 doesn't allow us to create references to
members of a packed struct. (Pointers are OK, because then you
supposedly know what you are doing.) */
-# if (defined(__arm__) || defined(__ARMEL__)) && !defined(QT_MOC_CPP)
+# if (defined(__arm__) || defined(__ARMEL__)) && !defined(QT_MOC_CPP) && !defined(__ARM_EABI__)
# define Q_PACKED __attribute__ ((packed))
-# if __GNUC__ == 3 && __GNUC_MINOR__ >= 4
+# if __GNUC__ >= 4 || (__GNUC__ == 3 && __GNUC_MINOR__ >= 4)
# define Q_NO_PACKED_REFERENCE
# endif
# endif
--- qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/qstring.h.orig 2007-04-24 09:03:11.000000000 -0400
+++ qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/qstring.h 2007-04-24 09:03:27.000000000 -0400
@@ -194,7 +194,7 @@
char latin1() const { return ucs > 0xff ? 0 : (char) ucs; }
ushort unicode() const { return ucs; }
#ifdef Q_NO_PACKED_REFERENCE
- ushort &unicode() { return *(&ucs); }
+ ushort &unicode() { return *((ushort *)&ucs); }
#else
ushort &unicode() { return ucs; }
#endif
--- qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/qvaluelist.h 2008-01-15 13:09:13.000000000 -0600
+++ qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/qvaluelist.h 2018-10-29 22:35:36.253629483 -0500
@@ -51,6 +51,7 @@
#include <iterator>
#include <list>
#endif
+#include <stddef.h>

//#define QT_CHECK_VALUELIST_RANGE

--- qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/qmap.h 2008-01-15 13:09:13.000000000 -0600
+++ qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src/tools/qmap.h 2018-10-29 22:36:05.563527018 -0500
@@ -53,6 +53,7 @@
#include <iterator>
#include <map>
#endif
+#include <stddef.h>

//#define QT_CHECK_MAP_RANGE
-- configure qt3, enabling threading and setting a prefix:
Code:
./configure -thread -prefix /usr/local/qt-3.3.8b
-- make -j4 (take a small nap while this builds)
-- as root, execute 'make install'
-- i create a symlink, to match my QTDIR environment variable
Code:
ln -s /usr/local/qt-3.3.8b /usr/local/qt3
-- checkout seq
-- make -f Makefile.dist build
-- configure, using gcc-4.9 instead of gcc-6.3 (Newby suggested this here)
Code:
CXX=g++-4.9 CC=gcc-4.9 ./configure
-- make and make install as usual

After getting this built, I have one remaining issue that isn't relevant to my usage, so I'm posting this with the hope that it gets someone closer to a general solution.

When running directly on the Pi desktop, showeq isn't finding a default Helvetica font, so the menu texts are all placeholder boxes instead of letters. I like to run my Pi headless, exporting the DISPLAY to a remote X server on a windows client machine. The menu fonts look normal to me there, so I've no need to pursue this issue any further, but I suspect that it's possible to modify seqdef.xml or showeq.xml to override Helvetica with one of the fonts included on the Pi desktop image.

You do have to make a change for the bazaar search as noted on the top of this page

BlueAdept
11-24-2020, 02:19 PM
I am currently working on seeing if I can get showeq6 running on a Pi 4. I should be ready to try to compile tonight. I am still working on turning it into a wifi router. Keep your fingers crossed. If/when I am successful, I will rewrite the how to guide and put it on the forums.