PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what is wrong...

Stegalin
02-17-2013, 12:22 PM
I just set up a new VMWare with the latest Centos (6.3). I installed all needed packages and followed the how to get ShowEQ post. I also patched the svn trunk as suggested in the returning to showeq post.

It compiles, configs, and installs fine. (unrelated - anyone know how I can get my username added to the sudoers list or whatever it was complaining about?)

I start it up and it runs. I'm running EQ on the same computer as the VM.

At first I was using NAT to connect, then I remembered that at work they complained that a few people were using VMs with bridged network so it appeared as a separate computer. I figured that is what I need to happen so I changed the network config to be brisdged. I still can not see my characters or anything. I set the IP address and the MAC address to my computer too.

If anyone has gone through this and could shed some light on what I missed I'd appreciate it.

I'm using a Linksys E2500 router. I figured since the traffic is coming over the same ethernet cord I don't need a hub, but I added a port forwarding range of all UDP packets to the IP of the VM... admittedly I'm not to sure what I'm doing in regards to that but I thought I had to do that a long time ago for EQ to work, I'm talking a looong time ago.

Anyway thanks for the help.

ShortBuss
02-17-2013, 12:49 PM
You have to have it in bridged mode. Let it grab an IP automatically. Not sure about VMWare, if that is what you have, but in VirtualBox under advanced settings for the network there's an additional drop down for promiscuous mode and you have to set that to all. With that done it should be able to see the network traffic from the host system. You could also use something like tcpdump or wireshark to verify traffic sniffing is working.

Stegalin
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
I put it in bridged mode, as I said above, but there is no specific promiscuous mode setting. it is listed in my devices in the settings as: Network adapter, Bridged (Automatic)

I ran tcpdump and I am seeing traffic from the IP that runs EQ. So it looks like I don't need to worry about promiscuous mode.

I compiled using svn rev 783 plus the changes in the "returning to showeq" thread below this one.

Thanks for the reply

ShortBuss
02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
that should be all you need. Make sure you zone after you launch ShowEQ.

Stegalin
02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
I'll try that. I've been just logging out and back in with my trader

Stegalin
02-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I logged in and zoned a few times. even selected "monitor next EQ client seen" and it still hasn't started capturing the session.

I am running as super user (root) and starting by typing "showeq" is that alright or do I need to do the whole eth0 and all that? it's not mentioned in the -h for the executable

I feel like it's something obvious but don't know what.

I also don't know how to or where to install maps or the filters or if I even need to do those things. I haven't seen any posts about how to do it or where to get them or put them when You get them. heh. So I've put that off for the time being. I just want to get this part working then I can worry about the rest at my leisure.

Stegalin
02-17-2013, 03:08 PM
I forgot to mention. I chose the centos 6.3 64 bit version, should I have gone with 32 bit instead? is this the problem?

ShortBuss
02-17-2013, 03:56 PM
hmm, 64bit could be the issue, but I just don't have any experience with 64bit linux to tell you for sure. I've never tried on 64bit before. It may be the 64bit drivers don't work for it, but I just don't know. Do you get any output on the console at all? If so, paste in what you are seeing.

With tcpdump showing traffic you at least eliminated the most obvious problem. Zoning or logging in will have the same effect with showeq finding the eq traffice. Just need to make sure showeq is up before you zone or log in.

If eth0 is your network card seeing the traffic, which it likely is, then there is no reason to include on the command line as it is the default interface used. Just need to run showeq as root, which you are doing.

Don't worry about maps or filters until you get it working. It will load up and show all mobs without the map.

Stegalin
02-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Here is what is spit out to the shell when I execute showeq. the window pops up and responds, I'm asuming, as expected, as I can move the windows inside it around and poke around in the menus ok. I previuosly set the IP address and saved the preferences.

[root@localhost Desktop]# showeq
Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
ShowEQ 5.13.10.10, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000-2010 by the respective ShowEQ Developers
ShowEQ comes with NO WARRANTY.

You may redistribute copies of ShowEQ under the terms of
The GNU General Public License.
See: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details...

For updates and information, please visit http://seq.sourceforge.net/
ShowEQ 5.13.10.10, Built from 'main.cpp' on Feb 17 2013 at 11:30:58
CVS: @(#) $Id: main.cpp 760 2012-03-10 05:17:33Z ngdeao $ $Name$
Using GCC version: 4.4.6
Using glibc version: 2.12
Using Qt version: 3.3.8b
Running on Linux release 2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.x86_64 for processor x86_64

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Loaded preferences file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Info: Listening for client: <my EQ IP>
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host <my EQ IP>
Warning: Spells: Failed to open: '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_us.txt'
Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /root/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat
Info: Loading Filters from '/home/ddstewar/Desktop'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /home/ddstewar/Desktop
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /home/ddstewar/Desktop
Info: Categories Reloaded
Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!
Warning: EQStr: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt'

later tonight I should have more time to install a 32 bit centos and try on that... At work we use a 64 bit centos on VMWare so it's what I know... I'll have to ask because I know we also manage the 32/64 bit issue through compilation and I think we all installed some package too. oh well for another time.

thanks for your time.

ShortBuss
02-17-2013, 05:12 PM
so basically it's not seeing the EQ Client at all. The console dump shown is general stuff done at load before the EQ client is detected. 64bit problem seems like the most likely to me. Let us know if it works for you once you switch to 32bit.

Stegalin
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
just got the 32 bit version up and running and showseq still doing the same thing.

Is this the patch that will work? or is this the problem: http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?6709-returning-to-showeq&p=47549&viewfull=1#post47549

Is there something specific I can look for with tcpdump that can confirm I am seeing traffic for EQ?

I was seeing this on the 64 bit version as well, and you say this is ok? "Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported"

Here is the shell output from the 32 version. I tell it to watch for a client and then zone into and out of mistmore...

[root@localhost showeq]# showeq
Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
ShowEQ 5.13.10.10, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000-2010 by the respective ShowEQ Developers
ShowEQ comes with NO WARRANTY.

You may redistribute copies of ShowEQ under the terms of
The GNU General Public License.
See: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details...

For updates and information, please visit http://seq.sourceforge.net/
ShowEQ 5.13.10.10, Built from 'main.cpp' on Feb 17 2013 at 19:44:37
CVS: @(#) $Id: main.cpp 760 2012-03-10 05:17:33Z ngdeao $ $Name$
Using GCC version: 4.4.6
Using glibc version: 2.12
Using Qt version: 3.3.8b
Running on Linux release 2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686 for processor i686

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Loaded preferences file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Info: Listening for client: <My EQ Client IP>
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host <My EQ Client IP>
Warning: Spells: Failed to open: '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_us.txt'
Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /root/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat
Info: Loading Filters from '/home/ddstewar/svnseq/showeq'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /home/ddstewar/svnseq/showeq
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /home/ddstewar/svnseq/showeq
Info: Categories Reloaded
Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!
Warning: EQStr: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt'
Info: Listening for next client seen. (you must zone for this to work!)
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, searching for EQ client...
Debug: PCAP Filter Set: udp[0:2] > 1024 and udp[2:2] > 1024 and ether proto 0x0800

[root@localhost showeq]#

I exited the program after it didn't work. I really appreciate the help.

ShortBuss
02-18-2013, 11:41 AM
In ShowEQ do not set an specific IP to monitor. ShowEQ will automatically detect the EQ client when it sees it. If you are forcing a specific IP, and it's wrong, then it will ignore the traffic on the correct IP. You can set the IP later if needed, but for figuring out the issue it is best to let ShowEQ find the client.

I'm not an expert on tcpdump so I had to check the manual. You can run the following command:
tcpdump -i eth0 icmp
This will have it listen, in promiscuous mode, on eth0 for ping packets. Then on your windows system open a command prompt and ping something:
ping www.google.com

You should see the traffic in tcpdump output of the ping. This will confirm you are actually seeing host traffic. If you had just run tcpdump before you could have been confusing traffic on the linux guest for host traffic. Of course if you are familiar with tcpdump you may already know all this.

Another thing to check is your bridged network setup. Your host may have multilple network adapters. In my case I have a cabled connection and a wireless connection with two different adapters. You have to make sure your bridge is connecting to the network interface that the EQ traffic is going over. You can also go another step and get the IP of the host windows system and the ip of the linux guest system and confirm they are both on the same subnet.

ShortBuss
02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Did a little more digging into tcpdump. You can validate you are seeing the EQ packets specifically on your linux guest with it, but you will also get a lot of other data. First fire up EQ and get it zoned in on the host. Then in your guest run the command:

tcpdump -i eth0 -N -vvv -X udp > check.txt

After a few seconds you can ctrl+c to terminate it. Then check the contents of check.txt. You should see packets going to/from eq servers. Search for text eqzone

Stegalin
02-18-2013, 04:00 PM
I tried both of your suggestions on both my 32 and 64 bit VM centos'

Both saw the pings and responses to and from google, confirming that I can see traffic on the host.

Niether saw any packet with "eqzone" in it. This is after I started EQ and zoned 2 times before stopping the tcpdump. I think of all the attempts the most packets I saw was 82 or 90-something. so I'm not seeing EQ traffic for sure.

I deleted my preferences file to reset showeq, I didn't do anything other than set an IP so I have no problem starting it from scratch.

I confirmerd that I am on the same subnet. My host "sort of" has multiple adapters. I have 1 adapter and then a VPN virtual adapter that is used when I connect to work. This is only according to the VM network settings though, my actual computer does not consider the virtual adapter to be a real adapter and only lists my local area connection one on my Bigfoot Killer NIC.

For some reason, my killer NIC is not set to watch my local area connection, but to the virtual adapter. I haven't rebooted since the last time I connected to work so I'm giong to do that.

Also, There is a "QoS Packet Scheduler" installed on my local area connection properties that I will be disabling if rebooting does not work. it's description is: Quality of Service Packet Scheduler. This component provides network traffic control, including rate-of-flow and prioritization services. I'll probably try to disable this last, as I think this is a standard component of a windows network properties. correct me if I'm wrong

If you are not familiar with the Killer NIC, it is supposed to offload the processing of game packets and do the processing internally on the NIC before sending to the game... I just remembered this and will be looking into disabling this feature as well if needed.

Thanks for the help. I'll report back after I try a few more things that I found outlined above. If you have anymore suggestions on things to try I'm more than open to them.

Thanks.

ShortBuss
02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
It's very strange that you see the pings come across yet don't see the eq traffic. However the killer nic could be a problem. It may be that the VM isn't fully compatible with it for promiscuous mode. It may also be that the killer nic driver is bypassing some of the windows network stack that's needed for VMWare to be able to see the traffic. Do you have any less advanced network card you could test with? Maybe something built into the motherboard that you could enable?

Stegalin
02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
yes I do. If what I disabled in the NIC doesn't work I'll go to that.

Stegalin
02-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Check out this entry in the Killer NIC help:

I put the offending stuff in bold. looks like I have to change EQ's priority in the NIC and it should be fixed... hopefully.

Priority 1 – Highest is reserved for special applications such as online games or other multimedia applications that require very low latency. If an application has not been identified as a Priority 1 – Highest automatically by Killer Network Manager’s Game Detect feature, then you may select this from the drop down list.

Note: To manually change an application to Priority 1 – Highest, you must close the newly prioritized application and restart it before the new setting takes effect. This is because Killer Network Manager handles traffic for these applications in a special way to ensure maximum performance, and all network connections associated with the open application must be closed so they can be redirected to this new, fast path.

Stegalin
02-18-2013, 09:17 PM
It is now working in the 64-bit Centos. It was infact the NIC and it's traffic routing. EQ was set to priority 1. once I set it to 2 showeq worked as soon as I logged a character in. zoned and everything...

Now for the matter of maps and filters. Any help you can give there?

Thanks again for your help, I probably would have not found it so soon without it.

Stegalin
02-18-2013, 10:32 PM
got the map thing figured out with the shell script easy enough. what are the filters for and do I need them? If you're done with the answers I understand, I'll figure it out eventually.

thanks

ShortBuss
02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
No problem. For maps you want to download the map pack from mapfiend. You can see in the console output where it's looking for them to figure out where to place them. I think it's /usr/local/share/showeq/maps. Problem with the maps is they have black lines, on a black background, so you can't see much. Check the ShowEQ maps forum here for a script to convert the line colors, should be stickied.

For filters they haven't been updated in a while but you can download what's available from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/files/ShowEQ%20Filters/ShowEQ%205.xx%20Filters/ Those go in /usr/local/share/showeq/filters

Also note that in the console ShowEQ is complaining about two missing text files; spells_us.txt and eqstr_us.txt. Both of those you copy out of your EQ install directory. I don't think there is anything you can do about guilds2.dat as I think it used to come from the server at login but no longer does.

Edit...
You beat me to the reply. Filters contain named mobs broken down by zone. Makes it easy to zone in and see what's up or get an audio alert when a named pops. You don't need them, but they are helpful and you can see them to understand the format so you can add your own filters as needed.

Stegalin
02-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Yeah I figured out the mapfiend, update eq then copy those files into the VM and run the convert shell script on it for various posts. I've taken care of the filters and the two files you mentioned.

I'm all set up now and working. hopefully I'll actualy have time to sit and PLAY in the next few days lol.

Thanks again