PDA

View Full Version : Verant's "RNG"

Jule
03-16-2002, 09:03 AM
'nother question from me here; what about eq's Random Number Generator engine? I've seen several discussions on if its serverside or not, but no answer crossed me yet.

I.E. with tradeskills, Skillups comes usually in streaks of 2-3 within a few attemps..then back to the next 400+ combines without...
So, if the rng is server side might there be any way to foressee the "lucky" streaks?

high_jeeves
03-16-2002, 02:22 PM
It is server side, otherwise cheating on tradeskills would be rampant. As for forseeing, remember, there are thousands of people all using the RNG at the same time, and every action uses the RNG (fighting, casting, etc all need random numbers). So, there is no reasonable way of "predicting" a streak. One client doesnt have close to enough information.

--Jeeves

Jule
03-17-2002, 10:28 AM
Aye, I had a hunch that would be the case. Thanks fer the info anyways bro =)

I still find those regular "lucky streaks" kinda peculiar though, given the number of RNG calculations that should be going on between each of my combines.
Also, people on the tradeskill forums have been speculating about effects of zoning, beeing in a particular zone, the number of people in zone, or even doing other tradeskills till they hit a skillup and then do some tailoring combines quick to grab a bit of the streak.
As the RNG should be running steady regardless of what a given character does, I suppose there is not much in those speculations.

But those streaks still puzzles me...oh well =D

high_jeeves
03-17-2002, 01:29 PM
Yes, but the definition of random is that ANY number is just as likely to follow ANY number in the sequence, so the streaks are just as likely as a more even distribution.

--Jeeves