PDA

View Full Version : Question about offsets

llaffer
07-16-2014, 09:21 AM
I came back to the game after about a 3 year hiatus, and with no linux box at my disposal anymore, got MySEQ up and running. Worked great.

I manually updated the offsets after the 6/20 patch based on the threads below me, and it worked great.

Now that we have the 7/15 patch, I use the Offset Finder on the new executable, and it finds all but "CharInfo" and I apply it to the .ini file.

Now here is my question now that the game is up and running again: I have the server running on one machine while I run the client on another. The .ini file has only been changed on the server. The server window shows an accurate count of NPCs, PCs, and corpses, but the client is only showing me maps and corpses (not even where I am, other than my spawn point in that zone).

Do I have to change the offsets in the .ini file on the client side as well?

Do we need someone to find out the correct "CharInfo" offset, even though the Offset Finder couldn't?

Or because of all this, do you think it will need a code change and a recompile?

Thanks.

Hidron
07-16-2014, 11:42 AM
The offset finder has needed some help for a while. That is why the new ones usually end up being posted here.

The myseqserver.ini file is only used by the server, so it only needs to be edited on that machine. I normally keep the .ini file updated on every machine I run EQ on though so I can switch servers on the client and be able to see accounts running on any machine.

I have been using MySEQ for about 9 years, and the only times I ever remember a code change being required was due to a change in how ground items were being handled by the game, and of course for the offset finder.

llaffer
07-16-2014, 11:50 AM
OK. I've applied the offsets that were posted to the server's .ini file and restarted the server and the client.

I get skittles now, but they are all showing L255 with the wrong races, including player characters, so all skittles are white.

Hidron
07-16-2014, 12:13 PM
The game won't even connect for me so far today, so I have no way to test. I saw last night on Facebook that they were having issues though.

llaffer
07-16-2014, 12:23 PM
That was an issue with Sony losing their IP addresses to "everquest.com", "soe.com", and "sonyonline.net", and reverting back to the registrar that owns those domains.

The problem was fixed around 2PM EDT yesterday, but by that time enough DNS servers around the world has the incorrect IP address and won't refresh for 24-48 hours after that.

Google has a public DNS server that has a fast refresh, which picked up on the correct IP addresses for these domains pretty quickly and works fine.

So if you change your DNS client settings to go to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS servers instead of whatever servers your ISP wants you to use, you should be able to get back into the game.

This process has helped about 20 people in my guild last night get in-game. Only one person who has satellite Internet service wasn't able to get in (not sure if that's related).

Hidron
07-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up about what was going on. Not really worth the trouble just to get my seller back online. That is all I have run for the last 2 months anyway. Will wait for them to get their act together.

llaffer
07-16-2014, 04:32 PM
The problem has been solved. It's now a matter of waiting for all of the slow-refreshing DNS servers to get updated. Figured by tomorrow afternoon, things should be back to "normal".

llaffer
07-17-2014, 08:12 AM
OK. I've applied the offsets that were posted to the server's .ini file and restarted the server and the client.

I get skittles now, but they are all showing L255 with the wrong races, including player characters, so all skittles are white.

I guess there was more offsets in the datastream that needed tweaking that I didn't do yesterday. I did the changes posted in the other post, and I'm sure things will work once again.