PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ and Brand New Network Configuration

Hobo
03-18-2002, 03:16 PM
After 3 years of begging and pleading it appears I finally have DSL service. Woot! So now I lean your way for some help. I have three Win98 machines, one WinME machine and of course my SEQ Redhat Machine.

Currently I run dial-up to my SEQ machine which is networked via a hub to one of the Win98 machines. Now that I have DSL I would like to network all 4 machines together, plus my SEQ machine. What is the best way to configure this?

Should I have the DSL modem plug into the SEQ machine which then goes to the hub and plug all 4 WinXX machines into the hub? Would SEQ properly work this way assuming I told the SEQ box to sniff packets on my Win98 machine? or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Hobo

fryfrog
03-18-2002, 04:49 PM
the way you named would work fine. if the dsl modem uses pppoe (which most do) you will have to figure out how to do that in linux. it shouldn't be to hard with a modern distro and i'd bet it would work out of the box.

i personally like that my showeq box and my internet connection sharing box be seperate. this is so that i can reboot and experiment on my linux (showeq) box and it doesn't screw up my internet connection.

i personally use freesco (www.freesco.info), but have very recently looked at BBIAgent (www.bbiagent.com). you configure it on their web page with the network cards you have, and the settings you use. you then just download an image. it has a web interface and looks pretty cool :)

both of these run on very minimal hardware. if you don't have a crap computer it will work on, unless you live 100miles from anyone someone around you will have one they would give you :)

(386+ w/ 8mb+ and a floppy drive)