PDA

View Full Version : CVS problem

worried
03-19-2002, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry to post a question about CVS, but I've read all the FAQ's I can find and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have two cvs directories. One directory (/usr/local/showeq) is for the lastest version of showeq that I know works. The other directory(/usr/local/showeq2) is for the latest CVS version.

When a new cvs commit comes out, I do a cvs update command in /usr/local/showeq2. I compile it and run it, and if it works without problems I run make install.

At this point, once I know the new version is stable, I want to copy over /usr/local/showeq to /usr/local/showeq. I could just run cvs update again from /usr/local/showeq, but then I'd have to recompile all the new stuff. I'd much rather copy /usr/local/showeq2 to /usr/local/showeq and save myself the recompilation. Compilation on my slow machine takes hours, and it's a real pain.

So I copy /usr/local/showeq2 to /usr/local/showeq. The problem is, when I now to go /usr/local/showeq and run cvs update, nothing happens. It sits there for hours.

I thought that maybe there would be some hidden file that tells CVS that it's directory is /usr/local/showeq2, and that this file is messing up cvs. But I've checked all the files, even the ones in the CVS directory, and I can't find any file like this. All the files mention the CVS root, and what files should be there, and what version, but there doesn't seem to be any such file.

So my question is this. Once I have an up to date cvs directory, is there any way to change/copy the location of this directory without screwing up cvs?

high_jeeves
03-19-2002, 01:09 AM
Changing the location will not affect CVS at all, CVS doesnt care about the current directory, all it does is look for a CVS subdirectory, and get information from there as to what it should do.

--Jeeves