PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Firewall/NAT Router Questions

Hobo
03-19-2002, 11:10 AM
I'm wondering if someone could help explain a hardware firewall/nat router to me in the following configuration:

DSL Modem--> Router--> Redhat SEQ Machine--> Win98 Machine

(Also bear in mind that 3 other WinXX machines would be branched off the router.)

In this configuration does the router have a single, dynamic IP (gotten from my DSL provider, like DHCP would get) or does it have a static IP that I would assign? Or would it have both, one a static incoming IP (for the SEQ and WinXX boxes to be directed to) and a second, dynamic one for my internet connection?

I'm in the midst of setting up a new network with DSL service. I've never done it with a router. nor using a RH Linux box, so I'm trying to understand it a bit more.

In my mind I see the router having a dynamic IP assigned by my ISP (kind of like an NIC card would have on a server) and then a second (static) IP assigned by me to identify it to the other machines routing through it, again similar to a server.

If this is the case, wouldn't it be better (and easier) to set up my network with a router, as opposed to using my Redhat SEQ box as a server/firewall?

Thanks

Hobo

high_jeeves
03-19-2002, 12:32 PM
I personally use a hardware router (a netgear, dont have the part number handy). I know that isnt the "linux l33t" way to do it, but I screw around with my linux box so much, that I dont want to have extended network blackout periods... my fiancee gets pissed when she cant check her email ;).

If you get a hardware router/firewall, I would set it up in the following configuration:

DSL --- HW Router --- Hub --- All machines (RH and EQ).

The reason for the hub is that the router is going to be switched. Make sure you get a hub that is really a hub (again, I highly recommend netgear, and recommend against linksys...)

--Jeeves

Hobo
03-19-2002, 01:43 PM
I already have a hub that I've been using for SEQ on my old dial-up setup so I should be good to go there. I'm just debating whether to go with the HW Router or the Redhat machine as my firewall. The router seems better just because I can keep our network up as I mess with SEQ and Linux. (My wife likes her e-mail too!) :)

Also, what about the IP(s) for the router? One static and one dynamic (dhcp)? Or ????

Hobo

high_jeeves
03-19-2002, 01:49 PM
The router I have gets a dynamic from the ISP (DSL in your case, cable in mine). It then acts like a NAT/DHCP server for the rest of your network. You will set all machines an your network to DHCP (although, you can use static addresses if you want, i do for desktops, but use DHCP for laptops since they may end up on someone elses DHCP network at some point).

--Jeeves