PDA

View Full Version : HW Router to HUB to both SEQ and EQ? Jeeves?

Hobo
03-19-2002, 08:19 PM
Ok, I took your suggestions (almost all of them anyway). I went and bought a HW router. Linksys BEFSR41 4 port Router to be exact. I couldn't find a Netware one and this model was mentioned several times in other threads. So here is my set up and my question...

.................................................. Win98 box with EQ
DSL Modem-->HW Router-->HUB--<
.................................................. Redhat Box With SEQ

(Note: I also have three other WInXX machines on the network, each plugged into the router, not the hub. ALL WinXX machines, including my EQ machine can access and surf the net. They are all set up as DHCP)

From what I have read, this setup should work as long as I have a true HUB so the Win98 Box can "broadcast" and the packets can be sniffed by the RH Box. I'm 100% certain it is a true HUB because it's the same one I used in my prior dial-up set-up and it worked just fine. However, I'm pretty certain I do not have the RH Box set up correctly to sniff the incoming packets to the Win98 machine.

As it stands now my RH Box will not access and surf the net. (Another clue that it is not set up correctly.) Can you or someone else point me in the right direction to set up the single NIC card in my RH Box? Step-by-step would be great, but if not, any help or url links, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW my eth0 in the RH Box has a proto of DHCP (same as all other networked boxes) and it shows "active" in the Gnome Network Configurator.

Thanks (and I owe ya 6-pack of your favorite) :)

Hobo

Rootuser
03-19-2002, 09:05 PM
I never use DHCP on Linux boxes, its just my way. I would assign it a static IP address. I have heard of problems with Linux boxes grabbing IP addresses from cheapie hardware devices such as cable modems and internet gateways.

Do the following:

I assume you know how to use VI or some kind of editor:

Parse the following file:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Set the following to your network specs:
(This assumes you are using a 192.168.0.x -- replace your network settings for those)

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.0.x
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=yes

That will setup the network card itself.

There is also /etc/hosts

This is only used to do resolution between IP addresses and a name when not using DNS.

You must have the following line in that file:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

Often times I run my own small DNS server, but if you don't want to do that, you might want to enter your machine names in the /etc/hosts files to be able to do name resolution on your local lan, here is an example:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.1 gateway
192.168.0.2 win98eq
192.168.0.3 win98dad
192.168.0.4 win98mom

Also since you don't have internet, make sure you check your
/etc/sysconfig/network should look similar to the following, remember the gateway is important. Here is an example, remember to use your specific network settings:

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=false
HOSTNAME=myeqbox.seq.org
DOMAINNAME=seq.org
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

You can use this command to stop or start the network after making your changes:

/sbin/service network restart

After doing the stuff I listed you should have "Internet" access. Check by seeing if you can ping your gateway.

Now guess what, you can do ALL of this through Gnome or KDE graphically if you want :)

Good luck,

Rootuser

Keeping Open Source, well...... OPEN.

Rootuser
03-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Typed all that for nothing <sigh>

Go here:

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/Network-Config-Tips/Network-Config-Tips.html

It tells you how to set up everything with more explinations than I was willing to type.

:)

Rootuser

Keeping Open Source, well... OPEN.

Hobo
03-19-2002, 09:25 PM
Thanks Rootuser. I'm still learning Linux but it's slowing getting clearer. Since I posted my earlier message I managed to get DHCP working and I can now access the internet from my RH Box.

EDIT: I also just figured out my one remaining "issue". SEQ is now working again. Thank you ALL for your help and patience with me. Everytime I do something "new" with SEQ I learn a little bit more about Linux.

BTW, my last issue was resolved by changing the correct conf file. I had earlier changed an old one and when I changed the right one, all worked out. :)

woodcroft
03-19-2002, 11:12 PM
I have pretty much the same set up as you. Just hit the reset on the router/switch and let it reassign the DHCP. should work fine then.

high_jeeves
03-19-2002, 11:33 PM
Good job getting it working.. isnt the hardware router much easier to deal with?

Happy SEQ'ing...

--Jeeves

Hobo
03-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Easier? Not only yes, but HELL yes. The router makes things so much more simple. I had the basic network up and running in about 90 minutes, with 75 minutes worth of that time just routing and connecting all the cables. Three of the four WinXX machines worked perfect on first boot. The fourth took about 5 minutes more because of a driver issue with the NIC. Re-installed the driver and worked great. Once I figured out how to properly activate the NIC in Linux (ifup eth0) and then figured out which showeq.conf file to edit, everrything worked perfectly.

Thanks again!