PDA

View Full Version : Udpecho

Leon01
03-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know how to get this programm to work?

What do i have to type?

udpecho ??? ???

what goes at the ??? ???

In the readme its the source NIC and the destination NIC

But what of them? Its not the IP.... how do i get their name?

- Thx for your help!

S_B_R
03-21-2002, 05:12 PM
I've personally never touched udpecho but to get the names of you NIC's use the ifconfig command.

ifconfig -a

NIC's are named eth# where the "#" is a number usually 0 or 1. If you are using a Modem they are named ppp# where the "#" is a number usually 0.

So you'd probably do something like:

udpecho eth0 eth1

high_jeeves
03-21-2002, 05:19 PM
pretty sure udpecho is a windows program for echoing UDP traffic on dialup across a network... Someone on this board wrote it (sorry, dont remember who)... i'm sure they'll be along shortly to explain how it works.

--Jeeves

winseq
03-24-2002, 10:17 AM
It's a windows program.

To get a list of your machine's NICs, run it without arguments.

To make it work, the first argument is the dialup adapter (PPPMAC on my machine) and the second argument is the NIC you want it to echo to (whatever is connected to your lan). The arguments are case sensitive.

Please note that it has built in filtering. Only UDP packets to or from an EQ server will be echoed.

Leon01
03-26-2002, 10:39 AM
i found out that it seems not to work under win2k

thats why i asked, tried on win98 and works wonderfully

but on win2k i get a long line of numbers instead of the nicadapters

high_jeeves
03-26-2002, 11:46 AM
on win2k, those are the adapter names... type them in fully (and put them in double quotes) and it will probably still work.

--Jeeves

jaredb0t
03-26-2002, 03:15 PM
I tried to use the program on Windows XP this morning. First I installed the WinLibpcap mentioned in the readme, then ran udpecho but it didn't return any installed adapters. Just displayed:

Installed Adapters:

Has anyone gotten this running using winXP?

Thanks

jaredb0t
03-26-2002, 09:42 PM
argh I still haven't gotten this working using XP, and I can't get my network to work with windows ME, If anyone has any suggestions i'm all ears =). Ok back to fiddling with my ME configuration.

winseq
03-27-2002, 03:40 PM
udpecho doesn't bother interpretting unicode stuff so this is probably the problem. I'll see if I can make it a bit more friendly for you NT users...

winseq
03-27-2002, 06:58 PM
Okay, I've made some changes so it'll behave on NT... Download the new package and see how it works for you...

jaredb0t
03-27-2002, 08:42 PM
still nothing , here is the output now:

udpecho v0.2
Unicode system <NT, 2000, XP> detected
usage: udpecho <IN> <OUT>
<IN> should be....
<OUT> should be....
NICs available:

It still doesn't detect anything. Again, I'm running win XP. I did get it running on my system under Windows ME, but would rather run XP, as I am happier with the configuration of my system with XP than ME. So if you don't care I can deal =P. On the otherhand if there is anything I can do to help track down the problem by testing on my system or supplying any debug info I'd be happy to.

*yes, i read the readme*

winseq
03-28-2002, 12:44 PM
The short answer: You're s.o.l.

The long answer: udpecho relies on winpcap to get the adapter list and winpcap simply grabs them from the registery. Since it's not listing anything for you, there's probably nothing in the key that it looks at. (I'd guess XP is putting the info in some other place.)

This quote from the winpcap faq may help:
Q-7: Do I need to be Administrator in order to execute programs based on WinPcap on Windows NT/2000/XP?

A: Yes/no. The security model of WinPcap is quite poor, and we plan to work on it in the future. At the moment, if you execute a WinPcap-based application for the first time since the last reboot, you must be administrator. At the first execution, the driver will be dynamically installed in the system, and from that moment every user will be able to use WinPcap to sniff the packets.

jaredb0t
03-28-2002, 03:44 PM
So here's what i'm getting from your message:

I have 2 things I can try.

1) Try to find a listing of my avialable adapters manually and supply them to the UDPECHO program. If this is the case could anyone post a sample of adapter names returned by udpecho on an NT or 2000 machine, as to help me in my search? In WinME they are simply PPPMAC and FA311, so I'll look for something similar.

2) Try actually logging on as administrator of the system and running udpecho. The way my system is set up right now, I log on as a user other than "administrator" that has administrator privilages. When setting up XP, I've found that it asks you to name the administrator account, but if you pick something other than administrator ie jaredb0t, an account with the username "administrator" is still created.

If this is completely off base let me know and I'll go crouch in the corner and bang my head on the wall.
I'll snoop around winPcap site/help too, see if I can make sense of any of it.

Thanks for continuing to help even after you said you couldn't help anymore.

jared

clegg
05-12-2002, 02:06 AM
i got udpecho up a lil while ago, it lists adapters

the 0th one is a looooong 25char string like the one windows uses for profile naming for outlook .. anyways i think thats my pppadapter the next two are ndiswanip and ndiswanipx ... which im supposing are the tcp and the ipx layers of my nic since i have both enabled on it ...... the point is ..... nothing is being broadcasted =/ i checked with osme monitoring tools and my pc is not sending anything out to the lan (rather 192.168.255.128)

any comments suggestions plz?

clegg
05-12-2002, 02:07 AM
oh sorry btw .. im on XP =)

winseq
05-19-2002, 03:49 PM
Sorry, looks like XP is both unsupported and not working. I haven't had a report yet that anybody has got it completely working on an XP system.

Also, version 2.3 is the only version of WinPcap that claims to support XP. You may need to upgrade. (You'll have to uninstall your old version and reboot first.)

Since the source is provided, feel free to hack it for XP. If you do get it working, drop me a line. I'll add the code to the "official" distribution (such as it is) and give you credit.

For the record, the only officially supported systems at this time are 98SE and ME (simply because these are what I have). If it works for you on something else then kudos.