PDA

View Full Version : Toggle offsets between live and test

xerxes
07-21-2021, 04:58 PM
Is there a way to easily do this without a recompile? Is SEQ smart enough, or can be smart enough, to decide which set of offsets to use?

BlueAdept
07-21-2021, 05:38 PM
I think you meant to post this in the MySEQ help section. ShowEQ doesn't use offsets and doesn't have a test server version.

xerxes
07-21-2021, 05:43 PM
I think you meant to post this in the MySEQ help section. ShowEQ doesn't use offsets and doesn't have a test server version.
My bad. I meant to post it here, but I suppose offsets are for the exe. I think I meant opcodes.

Newby
07-21-2021, 06:42 PM
It's not just opcodes that change when they patch. They deliberately shuffle around the position data in a few structs as well. It would be possibly to take that out of compiled code and have seq read an XML file or something to extract the position data properly, but that would take a bit of work.

BlueAdept
07-21-2021, 06:43 PM
Actually I was mistaken. There have been patches posted for test.

It does require recompiling. There is probably a way to have 2 different copies but I never tried.

cn187
07-23-2021, 07:56 AM
This has been on the wishlist for quite some time (from Zaphod's early TODO document), but as Newby said, it's a bit complicated.

As for running multiple copies - I do this for testing purposes, and it's easy enough.

I have multiple separate copies of the source tree so I don't have to keep making/reverting changes. So, for example

~/src/showeq-live

~/src/showeq-test

Then each one, I patch/configure as needed, specifying a unique prefix for each:

./configure --prefix=/opt/showeq-live

./configure --prefix=/opt/showeq-test

Then the rest of the build/install goes normally., and each version will get installed in its own tree under /opt.

Checking for maps, prefs, etc., checks the install dir first, then falls back to /root/.showeq. So if you have instance specific config/maps, you can put them under their respective tree, but anything under /root/.showeq will be shared between instances unless otherwise overridden.

BlueAdept
07-24-2021, 10:43 AM
Thanks cn187!

I thought you should be able to do it, I just never tried. I wish I had the free time to mess with things.