PDA

View Full Version : Complete frickin n00b here, could use a hand.

redpoint13
03-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Im really quick with computers, but i have never really messed around with linux. Could really use a little help if anyone out there would be so kind.

My aim is redpoint13
ICQ 47806440

for help i can trade some software or good movies n stuff if ya want!!!

thanks!

redpoint13
03-25-2002, 10:20 PM
k i guess ill just ask the questions.

1) Where do i download ShowEq (i must be retarded but i cant find the link)

2) where can i get a good compiler

3) i have minimal c++ experience, will i be able to do this?

4) i am using mandrake 8.2 i think (newest one), is that ok?

5) how hard do you think it will be for me since i have no linux experience and little c++ experience?!

thanks

fryfrog
03-25-2002, 11:32 PM
try here (http://www.hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=275)

redpoint13
03-26-2002, 12:02 AM
i read that whole thing, i got the q1-2.3.2.tar.gz and finished the tutorial, well most of it, it might as well have been in spanish heh. Could really use some 1 on 1 help on a chat program if anyone can assist.

ill keep trying to figure it out on my own time too, but thanks for your help.

Thanks

fyodorst
03-26-2002, 12:29 AM
just post the errors and any questions... there are some of us here that are humble enough to remember what it's like to be learning (and we all still should be if you think you know everything you are an arrogant fool)...

high_jeeves
03-26-2002, 12:39 AM
Also try searching the boards... the majority of the questions you may come up with have been asked and answered already. You might find answers more quickly, and irritate fewer people by doing searches before you post any problems you may have..

Good luck...

--Jeeves

Mr Guy
03-26-2002, 07:03 AM
You
A) found the right forum
B) read the guide first

You are doing pretty well for a complete 'n00b'. Just ask specific questions like they said and we'll help. Honest.

redpoint13
03-26-2002, 08:41 AM
ok well i got school, so ill ask some questions before i go so i can get a head start when i get home!

I downloaded the Q1 3.1.3 or whatever thing i posted above, but i have no idea how in hell to use/open/what its even for.

I got a copy of showeq (probably old) of the old Hackersquest site.
Is this what i should be working with? or something else?

Just a little very n00b question... What is equivalent to an EXE in Mandrake 8.2?

Thanks again

redpoint13
03-26-2002, 09:31 AM
ok well im retarded. I realized that that code is used in one of those windows thingies in Linux. Ive been trying to do it all in KDE (i think thats right) and been thoroughly confused on where the hell i type the code.

do you tink it will be a problem that the hard drive i have on my linux box is only 4gigs?

high_jeeves
03-26-2002, 09:50 AM
You need to back way up... It sounds like you have never used linux before. Before you try to jump in and run ShowEQ, you should do some basic reading. Go get yourself a book on linux, or check out the documentation at www.linuxnewbie.org

It will help immensly in your understanding before you tackle the problems of getting ShowEQ setup.

--Jeeves

S_B_R
03-26-2002, 02:03 PM
One other tip, Read the HOWTO thread(s) All the way through at least once before starting. The vast majority of possible question/problems have already been answered/solved you just need to read. Also reading through the thread(s) will give you information to help use the search (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) function effectively.

If for some reason there is a question or problem you can't find the answer too either in the HOWTO thread(s) or using the search function, and you find yourself posting a question make absolutely sure that you include as much information as possible. For an example:
If you get an error message, post the EXACT command you entered to get that error message.
Make sure and post the EXACT error message.

jaredb0t
03-26-2002, 03:27 PM
If you have the time and patients I would advise you to do a clean install and follow the clean install guide:
http://www.hackersquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=275

I think someone allready linked this but, oh well.

Otherwise you will probably encounter lots of problems due to missing packages, and if you don't know much about linux it would be easiest to let the installer do it for you.

Also, when you get you system installed, you will type the commands given in the guide in a console window, similar to the windows command prompt/dos prompt. If you are running kde there should be a button on the toolbar to pop up a console window.

Fool around with linux a bit, you'll get the hang of it.

Good luck.