PDA

View Full Version : 2 computer network /w cross over cable

jaredb0t
03-26-2002, 01:52 AM
I've got a small network of two computers at home. I made a cross-over cable to link the two together without the necessity of a hub. So my main (EQ) computer is connected to the internet through a modem, and it is linked by a cross over cable to my linux box. Is there any way I can get seq to work with this configuration?

I've tried using the tcpdump program to monitor the traffic on my main computer to no avail.

tcpdump -i eth0 | grep ipofmain

It says listening on eth0: but hears nothing.

Please let me know if I can get this to work, or if there is a simple way I could change things around to get it to work.

thanks.

S_B_R
03-26-2002, 02:19 AM
do a search (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) for "udpecho" and your questions will be answered.

monster69
03-26-2002, 09:47 AM
In addition to the using udpecho in Windows you can switch your pc positions.

Connect your linux machine to the internet and let it share the connection to your EQ machine.

The purpose of both of these solutions is to let the packet stream flow across or to your ShowEQ box.

jaredb0t
03-26-2002, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the help, found udpecho and am trying to get it running. Didn't have much of a chance to try it out this morning, but it looks like its not going to run under winXP. If thats the case I'll just switch over to winME and see if i can get it running there.

If I can avoid it I'd rather not go out and blow money on another modem. The modem in my windows box is a lucent winmodem that.. after many hours of fooling around I got it to work in linux, but it would only connect around 36.6 and that wouldn't really suffice for running eq.

Thanks again for the help!

jaredb0t
03-27-2002, 10:13 AM
HURAY, got it working at about 11:30 last night. I was allready dualbooting win ME and win XP, so I just switched over to ME to use the udpecho tool. After some problems with the ME home network not working, I discovered that ME had not installed a working driver for my network card. So I fixed that and everything started working.

In case anyone cares.. here is my setup.

My Windows EQ machine connects to the internet through a modem. My linux box and windows box are hooked together using a crossover network cable (to elliminate the need for a hub). The internet connection is shared via home networking setup in windows ME, and configuring linux to use DHCP. Then I run udpecho on the windows machine which echos the EQ info to my linux box.

it works. can't wait to get home and play with it today.

thanks for the help again.