PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ 6.3 Call for Testing

cn187
11-29-2022, 08:03 PM
I'd like to release ShowEQ 6.3 soon, but it really needs more people than just me banging on it...

Changes:

cn187 (11/29/22)
----------------
Release Candidate 1 for ShowEQ 6.3
Features:
- Map related
- Multilayer map support with automatic conversion
- Mouse scroll adjusts map zoom
- Other miscellaneous map fixes
- Interface related
- Themes are no longer forced by ShowEQ
- Support for using system-installed Qt themes, including dark themes
- Miscellaneous Qt5 fixes
- Reliability related
- Additional packet filtering to reduce session disconnects due to
random LAN traffic

This new release is available in the files section of SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/files/ShowEQ/Showeq-6.3.0rc1/

Installation (tarball):

$ tar xjvf showeq-6.3.0rc1.tar.bz2
$ cd showeq-6.3.0rc1
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

Please report any issues in this thread. Hopefully we can get to a full-on release by the end of the year.

Edit: The tarball for rc5, which supports the 02/15 patch can be found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/files/ShowEQ/Showeq-6.3.0rc5/

BlueAdept
12-02-2022, 02:23 PM
I am going to try this version this weekend if I get time.
I have my normal maps installed. Should I get brewalls maps instead? Do I need to convert them for the color (I have black background and breewall is white background).
- Multilayer map support with automatic conversion

Also, do you make any changes to the pref file? Should it be backed up in case I need to go back?

cn187
12-02-2022, 03:54 PM
The older map convert script smooshed all the separate map files into one layer. I might have turned that off by default when I redid the script. So depending on how old your maps are, you might be better off starting with fresh ones.

Regardless, no need to convert - I ported the color conversion routine from the mapconvert script into SEQ, so the colors should be adjusted in the same way that they were with the script.

I added a new element to the prefs to store the layer information, so it shouldn't affect any existing prefs. That said, mistakes happen so I will always advocate backing stuff up, just in case.

BlueAdept
12-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Very nice work. It seems to work pretty well and I do see all the different layers. I do seem to have an issue with map display. It seems to make the initial map a bit small. See pic.

BlueAdept
12-02-2022, 07:07 PM
Damn form attachments were set so small. Wouldn't take my pic even after shrinking it quite a bit. Took me a while but I figured it out. Should be good now.

cn187
12-02-2022, 08:52 PM
Strange... my maps are centered as expected. It makes me think there might still be an intermittent struct issue. I'd be curious to know - when your map is small like that, if you sort the spawnlist by distance and click on the furthest thing away, is it down at the bottom outside the map? If so, then we still have a struct issue. If not, then it could be something weird going on with pan/zoom.

BlueAdept
12-03-2022, 01:44 PM
It might have to do with spawn points maybe? Nothing was outside the map walls. There were some spawn points that were, but I deleted them (actually removed all the files from the directory) and reloaded but was the same zoom. POT is similar, no spawns outside of map area but didn't see any spawn points either (had already deleted the files). That is all the testing I have done.

This is compiled on a raspberry pi just for reference.

fransick
12-03-2022, 04:39 PM
I think the sizing issue is caused by one of Brewall's layers being the coordinates to spell out the map legend. If you are in the guild lobby, for example, look at layer 2 and you'll see that layer takes up a majority of the screen space outside the map and causes the map to resize to accommodate. If you delete layer two, the map sizes properly.

cn187
12-03-2022, 06:50 PM
Yep, that's it.

I've been using Good's maps, and it's centered as expected. When I switch to Brewall, it's offset due to the legend layer. If I don't load the layer with the legend (_2) then it's centered as well.

fransick
12-03-2022, 09:10 PM
What's the fastest way to convert a directory of maps that doesn't combine the layers. I think mapconvert script merges all the layers if I recall.

cn187
12-03-2022, 10:12 PM
That's the thing - if you you're using the 6.3 release candidate, you don't need to convert. Just dump the .txt files in your maps dir. (Clean out the .map files, first, because I think it will still prioritize them if they're there)

fransick
12-04-2022, 06:11 AM
That's the thing - if you you're using the 6.3 release candidate, you don't need to convert. Just dump the .txt files in your maps dir. (Clean out the .map files, first, because I think it will still prioritize them if they're there)
Okay, that is officially slick. Nice going cn!

fransick
12-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Everything looks good so far. Being able to drop straight eqmaps into the map directory is so convenient! One issue I am seeing that is minor but new. Seeing this spam the console:
Debug: ZoneMgr::zoneNameFromID: zone name not found: zoneId=33505 The number changes depending on the zone but seems pretty consistent that it pops up in the zones I've visited.

cn187
12-04-2022, 02:43 PM
I haven't seen that. Since your maps are loading fine, it's maybe a struct issue with lesser used struct. I'll add it to my list of stuff to look at.

Loki
12-05-2022, 03:44 PM
As for brewall, you can delete all *_2.txt. I've been using Good's maps mostly.

cn187
12-06-2022, 05:47 PM
The tarball for rc2, which supports the 12/06 patch can be found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/files/ShowEQ/Showeq-6.3.0rc2/

splooge
12-06-2022, 07:34 PM
Wow. Great job. Things are working great so far.

xerxes
12-06-2022, 07:56 PM
Thanks. Switched to this version to test. Love that I can plop brewall's maps directly in, while removing layer 2 like previously mentioned.

Seems to be working fine so far with Qt 4.8.7.

BlueAdept
12-07-2022, 08:41 AM
I will be moving from a pi for my primary SEQ box to a small lenovo i3 pc (30 bucks plus hd and power supply). Is there a particular Linux flavor you want me to test on? Parts should all be here by some time next week.

cn187
12-07-2022, 09:25 AM
Nothing in particular - whatever you want to run.

xerxes
12-07-2022, 10:15 AM
What color background has folks found to make the maps most useable? I've been going back and forth between a tan, gray, and black, but some map lines are hard to read.

cn187
12-07-2022, 11:00 AM
I've always found the dark blue really hard to read against a black background, even when converting the maps separately. I set my background to a dark grey (#222222) and it seems to be OK most of the time. Though I think I did adjust the dark blue spawn color as well.

Now that you bring it up, I'm wondering if it would be worth adding the ability to tweak how the line colors are displayed, similar to what's there for con colors. Or if tweaking the background color is a "good enough" solution.

Edit: Looking at it again, the dark blue is hard to read even on the grey I'm using, so that's still not that great.

xerxes
12-07-2022, 11:34 AM
I'm wondering if a texture or something would make it easier vs a solid background color? Like a parchment or something? Maybe, maybe not... Or outline the dots on the map with a white (customizable?) border that makes the color stand apart from the background.

Btw, the map fading is great. Tested in PoK and as I went up towards the library, loved seeing the floors fade in and fade out. I had gotten used to using the ingame map for zones that needed a depth filter. This coupled with the spawn depth filter really makes the maps usable :) Great work!

cn187
12-07-2022, 01:38 PM
I suppose it would be possible to allow loading a background image, though I'm not sure how much that would help. It could certainly make it look nicer, though.

As for outlining the dots, you should be able to do this already through the mapicons dialog. Select NPC Spawn, go to the outline tab, etc.

Yeah, the fading (and lack of it with the converted maps) was a big reason I wanted to rework some of the mapping stuff. Glad it's working well for you.

xerxes
12-07-2022, 01:53 PM
As for outlining the dots, you should be able to do this already through the mapicons dialog. Select NPC Spawn, go to the outline tab, etc.

Wow, thanks! There's a lot of dialogs I've never found before. The menu/preferences systems desperately needs some love to bring much needed organization.

Adding a dark gray outline to the NPC Spawns seems to help a ton. The Faded Floors seems to force the background to black vs keeping my selected dark gray color. Not sure if that's intended or not.

cn187
12-09-2022, 11:26 AM
The tarball for rc3, which supports the 12/08 patch can be found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/files/ShowEQ/Showeq-6.3.0rc3/

xerxes
12-10-2022, 01:26 PM
Updated to latest. Seeing random *GM* next to people's name in the spawn list name column. Didn't see this previously.

cn187
12-10-2022, 02:37 PM
This was reported a while back (and isn't specific to 6.3). The struct that houses the GM flag has obviously changed, but it's hard to know where in the struct it belongs because it's rare to see an actual GM these days (at least in my experience). I suppose we could just remove that field for now, and then re-add it if the opportunity ever presents itself.

BlueAdept
01-01-2023, 08:42 PM
Just got to finally update it. Unfortunately I ran out of time before I actually got to play. Working tomorrow but hope to get a couple nights this week to play.

cn187
01-18-2023, 10:17 PM
The tarball for rc4, which supports the 01/18 patch can be found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/files/ShowEQ/Showeq-6.3.0rc4/

BlueAdept
01-19-2023, 06:38 AM
I haven't had much time to play with it but I haven't found any issues. I would roll it live if I were you.

ShortBuss
01-19-2023, 09:35 AM
This download, along with many of the SEQ TAR file downloads are missing on SourceForge. But looks like it's a sourceforge site problem they are already aware of and working on. Example ticket here, with many other examples: https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/24260/

Update: The files are back now, problem fixed.

ShortBuss
01-23-2023, 12:29 PM
Been using this version for a few days now and it's been working perfectly fine so far. No problems that I've found yet.

cn187
02-19-2023, 12:48 PM
The tarball for rc5, which supports the 02/15 patch can be found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/files/ShowEQ/Showeq-6.3.0rc5/