PDA

View Full Version : Host Unreachable?

Jericho450
03-27-2002, 02:51 AM
Ok... new problem, but I'm sure that somebody else here has experienced it. Here is my situation:

I have a home network with a total of 3 computers linked to my main pc via a ethernet hub. I am unable to get SEQ to pick up the transmissions from my main pc which is what I play EQ on. I have done a "tcpdump -i eth0" and received an "unreachable host error" although I can ping my main IP and it does reply. Does anyone here have solution for this or a fix that I have happened to miss reading the posts here? I would appreciate any help offered.

fryfrog
03-27-2002, 03:03 AM
first of all, if your "main" pc is acting as the gateway to the internet (ie, you have 2 nics and are using ICS) then the packets will not even goto the hub (and in turn not goto the linux box).

as for that hostname error, i don't know.

i always use:
tcpdump -i eth0 | grep <ipofwinblows>

of course, don't put the <>'s in, put the ip of your windows computer.

Jericho450
03-27-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks FryFrog, that is exactly how I have my network set up... would you happen to know if it is possible to send the packets from the main pc to the linux box? I will search the boards for any info on that, but if you know of a better way I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.

Jericho450
03-27-2002, 08:06 PM
Ok... from what I have read here, what I am trying to do isn't possible. I have also taken a look at my ethernet hub and it turns out it is an ethernet switch. So, from what I gather I need to go from my cable modem to a standard hub and from the hub to all of my boxes. Correct me if I am wrong please. Otherwise, I will be going out to buy a hub tomorrow.