PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ runs but does nothing.

Rich
03-27-2002, 12:35 PM
I am running RedHat 7.2 clean install.
I retrieved the great instructions and followed them without any errors that I could see.

When I run showeq, the screen starts up, the messages in the text window indicate that it is monitoring, but NOTHING happens.

How do I go about debugging what is wrong?

Thanks,
Rich

Mongo222
03-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Your network is not setup in a manor that allows your SEQ machine to snoop the packets from your Everquest client machine, or you have the config file pointing at the wrong IP address.

Make sure you are on a dumb hub with both machines for the first problem, and put the right adapter/Ip in showeq.conf for the second.

Rich
03-27-2002, 01:54 PM
I am the network administator! All systems are on a dumb hub.
I have tried many attempts to set the .conf file and have learned about the showeq message parameter format issues.

None of this helps.

The same question is open. What tools does one have to debug this with? Is there a way to have the packet sniffer run separately and just show that it can work?
Is there a way to have the sniffer show all packets in the text screen where you start seq from?

etc.

S_B_R
03-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Can you linux box ping the windows box you play EQ on?

ping <ip of the windows box>

If you can ping the windows box then try using tcpdump to sniff for packet, once you are logged into EQ. assuming you only have 1 NIC in your linux box:

tcpdump -i eth0 | grep <ip of the windows box>

If you can't ping the windows box or you dont't see any packets, then your network isn't setup correctly. In this case discribe your network topology...

Rich
03-27-2002, 02:26 PM
My system does not have tcpdump on it. Where does one get it?

Thanks

S_B_R
03-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Try one other thing

/usr/sbin/tcpdump -i eth0 | grep <ip of the windows box>

if that still doesn't work then you can get the rpm from redhat's ftp site: HERE (ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/tcpdump-3.6.2-9.i386.rpm)

EQDoze
03-27-2002, 02:54 PM
You're the network admin and you don't have tcpdump, and you don't know where to find it?

Ouch. Sounds like it would be better for all of us if you didn't try to use ShowEQ.

Rich
03-27-2002, 03:03 PM
S_B_R -- Thanks for the info. I'll go get it and see if it helps.

EQDOZE -- Sorry, I don't mean to be the ONLY person in the world that isn't using UNIX. I have many networks without UNIX boxes!
Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

winder09
06-17-2002, 03:45 PM
I mean the linux box doesnt see the EQ box AT ALL with tcpdump (no internet, email or EQ packets).
It never receives any packets, although it can ping the EQ box fine.

I have a DSL modem running PPPoE into a Linksys BEFSR41 router (yes, i know its really a switch).
I have a Netgear NH1005 hub. A cat 5 cable goes from the uplink port of the hub to the port 1 slot in the router.
Both the EQ box and linux box are plugged into the hub (not in port 1).

From everything I see and know, this should work, but it isn't.

Mr. Suspicious
06-18-2002, 01:51 AM
PPPoE

Bet you 5 bucks, that's your problem. Do a Search on PPPoE. Ofcourse I can afford to loose 5 bucks :D Furthermore, it would be helpfull if you posted your network setup and equipment details. As mentioned before (in a 1000 threads) using a router or switch without hooking a "REAL" Hub into the Network setup. to connect both the EQ and SEQ box to, will not work.

I have tried many attempts to set the .conf file

Read the documentation, "there is no showeq.conf file"