PDA

View Full Version : Segmentation Faults

Studace
03-27-2002, 05:02 PM
I recently installed SEQ4 and seemed to be running fine. I did the update through instructions I found in posts. I now get segmentation faults when I zone, or bring the character in. It may even do a fault after running for some time. I tried increasing the ArqSeqGiveUp (from a search on segmentation in posts) to 256 (it was set for 96), still the same thing. The only messages I get are something like
Clearing Cache: Count =0
Resetting sequence cache
then segmentation fault

One time I got Clearing Cache: Count = 3

Would appreciate any help.

Zaphod
03-27-2002, 11:01 PM
make sure you did a 'make -f Makefile.dist' after you do a cvs update, otherwise all bets are off.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Studace
03-28-2002, 12:02 AM
Yes, I did do this. I followed directions from a post that I found from you. I did the update process about 3 times with the same results. It seems to have been stable after I found this post below and did what it recommended. I hope it stays stable, but if not, I will post again.

"A new feature was added to allow formatted messages to be parsed. This requires you to copy the file "eqstr_en.txt" from your everquest directory to your showeq directory, usually /usr/local/share/showeq/. Once this file is in place showeq will run as normal. This problem will be corrected in the near future. "

Fippy_35602
03-28-2002, 04:23 AM
I was getting the seg faults with the same message you described starting after I patched on 3/26. I repatched/rebuilt on 3/27 and while I still get the spamming of the cache messages you describe, I wasn't getting the seg faults. I might have just gotten lucky, but it was working...

zero
03-28-2002, 09:00 AM
I've been getting seg faults just trying to compile SEQ4. I've been using SEQ for about a year now, in general.

I have a fresh RH7.2 install, and installed the qt-gcc3-2.3.2 rpms per Zaphod. Any ideas?

Fippy_35602
03-28-2002, 09:06 AM
A seg fault while compiling is likely a memory issue. How much mem do you have on the machine you're talking about?

Also, as long as you are able to complete compillation of at least 1 file every time try, you can in theory complete the whole process...

Brezer
03-28-2002, 09:19 AM
I have reinstalled RH 7.2 6 times using zaphods method and the other install for seq and I still get seg faults, it will run good for the first day of install but second day I start getting seg faults and when I zone the npc stay grey and unknown till I rezone.

zero
03-28-2002, 02:25 PM
I have 128MB of RAM with swap set to 256. I also have /usr on a separate drive on a different IDE bus, though I tried while on the same IDE bus also.

I also tried different RAM modules thinking along those lines. It's the same system I ran SEQ 3.something back aw while ago, and Odins Eye not too long ago.

Maybe I should wait till I have the cash to upgrade that system before trying again.

fryfrog
03-28-2002, 09:10 PM
have you tried compiling qt-2.3.2 or qt-3.0.3 on your own instead of using the rpms?

zero
03-29-2002, 08:48 AM
Went ahead and tried that. Seg fault compiling qt source too. /sigh. Hardware problem perhaps, though nothing on that system has changed in over a year.

Out of curiosity, is there a non-tedious way to compile one cpp at a time, or to have make pick up from the last cpp that seg faulted? If there is, I can try it that way.

Brezer
03-29-2002, 09:39 AM
Re compiled qt and still same trouble. :(