PDA

View Full Version : Network Setup Question

Brandt531
03-28-2002, 04:12 PM
I am planning to setup a Redhat 7.2 box on my network specifically for SEQ. I am seeking advice on what changes i should make to my network to best facilitate this.

My Current setup:
DSL Modem using PPPoE
XP Machine running PPPoE and Internet Connection Sharing
XP machine has two network cards and the internal is set to 192.168.0.1, this goes to a Netgear 4 port 10MB HUB where the second XP machine is connected.

My Question :

Which would be better? Actually, lemee rephrase that, which would be easier?? Considering I want to be able to play EQ on either XP machine?

1. Buy a configurable switch that can handle the PPPoE and NAT routing by itself, and then hook up the hub to one of the switch's ports? Then connect the linux box and the two xp machines to the hub?

-OR-

2. Get the Linux PPPoE software and setup the LINUX box with two NICs and NAT routing. Then hook that into the hub along with the XP machines?

I have experience setting up a firewall and NAT routing with ipchains, but have no experience in setting up PPPoE under LINUX. My main concern is that with newer versions of LINUX, I will have a hard time with the firewall/NAT/PPPoE setup in Redhat 7.2. So, the router/hub configuration looks easiest for me. I'm also concerned that the router/switch won't be able to do the NAT routing properly through one port that's going to a hub. Suggestions, comments, reasons why either one won't work?

fryfrog
03-28-2002, 09:18 PM
while pppoe and firewalling in linux are pretty easy, i would go with your first option. i think you mean a dedicated, hardware firewall like from linksys or what ever, right?

imho having a dedicated firewall has a lot of benifits and very few drawbacks.

Using a dlink/linksys hardware router (or a floppy distro like freesco.com):
Good:
1.) if you fuck up your linux showeq box, your internet doesn't die with it. this makes fixing it easier, and doesn't piss anyone sharing the net connection off.
2.) you have a real firewall in front of your computers (and linux box). if something were to happen and your showeq machine (as the router) were compromised... then your gateway is compromised and access to your internal lan is easy.
3.) rebooting your showeq linux machine when it freezes or what not doesn't kill your current eq session (or any other browsing).
4.) a hardware router really is just a lot easier. just plug it in, and turn it on :)
Bad:
1.) costs more than just using your showeq box as your router
2.) means you have more computers and stuff laying around.

this is how my network is setup, i have a dedicated router (p133 w/ 32mb ram and a 500mb hd) running FREESCO (www.freesco.com). i have two linux boxes behind it on hubs (as well as 4-6 windows boxes). the uptime on the router is... mostly based on when i reboot it in HOPES that THIS time it wasn't really my cable company sucking... or the cat accidentally knocks the power out.