PDA

View Full Version : windows wont see my linux modem

Sparkz
03-28-2002, 11:19 PM
i have a windows box running windows mill. connected to a 16 port synoptics hub and my linux box is an old 333 with a dialup modem also connected to the hub, but i cant seem to get to get my windows box to use the modem in the linux box instead of using its own, what do i need to do now to get my win box to share the internet connection thru my linux box modem, do i need to pull the modem out of my win box ? :confused: please help me.. at least i finally learned howto install 7.2 and seq, not to mention slowly begining to understand networking and Linux :D im soooo close to finally seeing seq work :p
sincerly yours the World class Linux n00bie

God i feel like a dumbass always having to ask questions...how long does it take to truly understand this stuff without stumbling thru it :confused:

S_B_R
03-28-2002, 11:47 PM
Did you setup NAT using IPTables or IPChains on your linux box? If so, on your windows box, you'll need to go into the network control panel and set the Default gateway for your NIC to the ip address of your linux box. Then there is an "Internet" control panel go in there and set it to not to dial your modem by default.

fryfrog
03-29-2002, 02:01 AM
take out the modem in the windows box. this should pretty much force all traffic to goto the linux box. of course, this assumes you have the linux box setup properly. this really isn't the place to get THAT kind of help. if you can do irc, you might try a #linuxhelp channel. if you can do web, maybe "linuxdocs.org" or i think there is something about "linuxnewbie.org" or something (might be wrong on that). of course, www.google.com is EVERYONE's friend :)

CodE-E
04-01-2002, 03:51 PM
The way I connect from my Windows box through the Linux box to the Internet (found this command in a SEQ guide about a year ago):

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/ipv4/ip_forward
# ipchains -I forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0/0 -j MASQ

Warning: this is a quick and easy way, but there are probably some security issues involved probably. I am not some l33t Linux hax0r, so I have no clue how serious they are (very very small, I presume - i.e. as safe as Windows Internet connection sharing).

If anyone knows how safe/unsafe this is, please enlighten me!

Btw. Sparkz, and other Linux newbies: the "#" before those commands does not need to be typed. Sometimes you will see people write a "$" before commands. The difference: a "#" means you will have to have superuser priviliges to execute the command. You can get these by logging in as root, or typing "su" (followed by the root password).

Virusmaster
04-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Ack! Aren't "modems" those things that allow computers to chat with each other by making squeeky noises over telephone lines?? Why, I used to have one that had rubber cups that attached to each end of a standard phone, kinda looked like a bola.

dbrot
04-01-2002, 05:54 PM
You should run a firewall while connected to the inet to keep the script kiddies out.
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?threadid=566

Look on Linuxnewbie.org to find out how to lock down your linux box.
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/security/armorlin.html