PDA

View Full Version : gcc-3.0 on Debian 2.2 r5

Peachy
03-29-2002, 06:12 AM
So Debian 2.2 r5 is installed and now I'm trying to get ShowEQ working. I downloaded Casey's qtgcc3 packages but now I need gcc-3.0, g++-3.0, etc. to do the compile.

I added "deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main" to my sources.list and tried to apt-get install gcc-3.0.

Here's a little of the output:

peachy:/etc/apt# apt-get install gcc-3.0
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
*removed*
The following packages will be REMOVED:
*removed*
33 packages upgraded, 20 newly installed, 70 to remove and 292 not upgraded.
Need to get 24.3MB of archives. After unpacking 52.2MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Needless to say I'd rather not have 70 packages removed including most, if not all, of my gnome packages. When I installed ShowEQ under Mandrake I could download the gcc-3.0 RPMS and then manually link /usr/bin/gcc-3.0 to /usr/bin/gcc while preserving my older files.

Basically I want to know is how to install gcc-3.0 w/out kicking the shit out of my system?

Thanks,
Peachy

Peachy
03-31-2002, 10:37 PM
Ok, no answer.

Casey (or anyone running showeq under debian):

...What version of Debian are you running? I tried Potato since it's tried and true but it's also lagging behind in a lot of areas. Does Woody have what I need or close to it?

Peachy

fee
04-01-2002, 05:12 AM
I personally use Debian Woody., although Debian Potato does include a gcc3 release.

Sounds like you have wacked apt all to hell changing your sources like that. Check out the helpful friendly debian docs at www.debian.org.

fee

Peachy
04-01-2002, 05:20 AM
Heh, wacked apt to all hell....

The line I included in my original post was the only extra line in my sources.list. I'll dig through debian.org's site some and see what I missed.

I went w/ Potato when I first tried Debian but now I'm leaning towards Woody since it sounds like it's stable enough to be used for the desktop. Seems like a major pain to try and update all the packages in Potato to those needed for ShowEQ. But, then again, maybe it's just because I'm new to the distro.

Thanks for the reply.

Peachy