PDA

View Full Version : Installing showeq <rant and need help>

pxlplukr
03-30-2002, 06:35 PM
well i finally had to update show eq. last time <pre QT3> i struggeled but finally got it to work. i am pretty new to the compilling stuff. but this one has screewed me BIG time. Redhat 7.2 does not like my pc and I do not like 7.2 either. but, I installed it and tried to install the new showeq. i have followed every direction i can find. the last direction were very detailed and seemed to word. ie It compiled ok. was really big though (11 megs> but it never ran. click on it and poof nothing. format and install 7.1 find all the files and install. i get thousands of errors saying something about qt2. i dont think that is right. but i stalled the 7.1 rpms corectly. /RANT/ why cant we is it so hard to install these files. i have formated 4 times now and cant get it to work. i am a noob but not completely inepet. i can folow directions this sucks. you guys sdo a great job. but damn its very frustraiting. on a fresh install it should always work !!!!!
please help!!!

Cryonic
03-30-2002, 11:57 PM
No it shouldn't. If it was so easy that any Windows luser could do it then we would have problems with too many people using it who wouldn't use it responsibly. As it stands now, if you have the brains to get it installed and working (both linux and SEQ), then you are less likely to abuse what you have.

And why are you formatting and reinstalling, this is linux, not Windows. Reinstalling won't fix the problem unlike in the Windows world.

fryfrog
03-31-2002, 02:13 AM
it might be likely that you have not compiled qt-2.3.2 using gcc3 and perhaps you might not be compiling showeq with it either.

S_B_R
03-31-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by pxlplukr
well i finally had to update show eq. last time <pre QT3> i struggeled but finally got it to work. i am pretty new to the compilling stuff. but this one has screewed me BIG time. Redhat 7.2 does not like my pc and I do not like 7.2 either. but, I installed it and tried to install the new showeq. i have followed every direction i can find. the last direction were very detailed and seemed to word. ie It compiled ok. was really big though (11 megs> but it never ran. click on it and poof nothing. format and install 7.1 find all the files and install. i get thousands of errors saying something about qt2. i dont think that is right. but i stalled the 7.1 rpms corectly. /RANT/ why cant we is it so hard to install these files. i have formated 4 times now and cant get it to work. i am a noob but not completely inepet. i can folow directions this sucks. you guys sdo a great job. but damn its very frustraiting. on a fresh install it should always work !!!!!
please help!!!

I'm sure many of us here would be willing to help you. but since you gave us no real information as to what problems you had or are having, we can't really give you any useful help. If you follow any of the howto's on this site and/or Hackerquest you will get a working final product every time. Unless, of course, you skip steps or do a step wrong or etc, but in those cases it's no one's fault but your own.

My suggestion is, go read all the way through every howto you can find (using the Search (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) function) on this site. Then decide which one seems the easiest to follow and use that one. Follow those instruction word for word. Don't skip any steps don't take any shortcuts. Then if you have any problems use the Search (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) function again, because chances are extremely high that someone else has had the problem. Then if you still have trouble post to the help forum EXACTLY what the problem is, meaning don't say things like "RedHat 7.2 doesn't like my computer" that's not helpful. Post EXACT error messages, and EXACTLY what you did to get that error message. Go through your problems 1 at a time not all at once, it's less confusing and it's easier to trouble shoot.

Do those things and you'll get the most "bang for your buck" and the fewest possible flames... Good Luck :D

shadowcat
04-01-2002, 10:13 AM
And it is easy if you sit back and read some of the threads on this board.

Yesterday I convinced my friend to go from seq 3.x under redhat 7.1 to seq 4.0.1 under rh 7.2. I pointed him to the threads he needed to read which gave a step-by-step approach to installing rh 7.2 rpms and qt and the rest.

An hour later he called to tell me how much better 4.x looked over 3.x.

If you do your searches and looks at some to the threads here, you should be able to install it.