PDA

View Full Version : Combo of problems & issues - Other player locations / Unknown mobs / Con levels wrong

AlphaBeta
03-30-2002, 07:16 PM
::Cross posted in dev::

Not sure if anyone else has had any of this or if I am just too green but...

1. Other players don't always show up on the map, or show up as unknown mobs, or after being on the map for a while turn into little purple X's. If I get with in range of other players that arn't showing on the map sometimes they then show right and other times they don't show at all. I could see this being a huge issue with raids and PVP players and just tring to find someone else in the same zone.

2. Many times I am forced to zone in and out of a zone a few times before the mobs show up or all decode. I am many times left with a screen full of unknowns, mixed unknowns and decoded mobs, and a few times no mobs unknown or other wise sho at all and I get an empty map.

3. I have also noticed that mob /con colors seem to be off. Mobs are show as light blue on Seq are most of the time green in game, most blues are light blue. Even, yellow and red /cons seem to be working ok. Not sure if its me or a bug or what. Dosen't seem to make a diffrence what race/class/lvl combo I play they are all off.

4. Experience window malfunctions on zone. When zoneing from one Zone to the other I am getting random kills being listed of a mob thats in that zone with a -expericence total. Only way to seem to make this work is if I clear the totals once I zone and start killing stuff. Other that that its great..

5. Have not seen this in many zones yet but I did notice that in 'The Hole' (bottom of ramp at ent.) and PoH, that mobs show up funny and seem to not be in the places Seq is reporting them to be in... I.E. they look like they are walking at a semi high rate of speed when there is nothing there. It's not a multi-level map problem (no mobs above or below) as I see it when when I am in a 1 level area on the map.

And just a little side note.. I went on my first PoH raid a little while back and was very ammused with some of the invis object names in the zone.. LOL

S_B_R
03-30-2002, 09:28 PM
1. Other players don't always show up on the map, or show up as unknown mobs, or after being on the map for a while turn into little purple X's. If I get with in range of other players that arn't showing on the map sometimes they then show right and other times they don't show at all. I could see this being a huge issue with raids and PVP players and just tring to find someone else in the same zone.
This is normal, the server doesn't send you information on other PC's unless they are grouped with you or close to you in the zone.

2. Many times I am forced to zone in and out of a zone a few times before the mobs show up or all decode. I am many times left with a screen full of unknowns, mixed unknowns and decoded mobs, and a few times no mobs unknown or other wise sho at all and I get an empty map.
It does take some times to crack the encryption when you zone. to fix this STOP zoning over and over again. By doing that you are effectively getting SEQ farther and farther behind. Do a search (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) on unknown, and/or decode to get more info...

3. I have also noticed that mob /con colors seem to be off. Mobs are show as light blue on Seq are most of the time green in game, most blues are light blue. Even, yellow and red /cons seem to be working ok. Not sure if its me or a bug or what. Dosen't seem to make a diffrence what race/class/lvl combo I play they are all off.
I suspect this is probably caused by Your "solution" to problem #2... Is SEQ finding your character correctly? Are you running more than one EQ session?

4. Experience window malfunctions on zone. When zoneing from one Zone to the other I am getting random kills being listed of a mob thats in that zone with a -expericence total. Only way to seem to make this work is if I clear the totals once I zone and start killing stuff. Other that that its great..
This is normal, it's how EQ passes your XP from zone to zone. When you zone have you ever seen ingame messages like:
"You slash some_mob but miss"
"You have slain some_mob"
Same issue here SEQ is only reporting what the server is sending.

5. Have not seen this in many zones yet but I did notice that in 'The Hole' (bottom of ramp at ent.) and PoH, that mobs show up funny and seem to not be in the places Seq is reporting them to be in... I.E. they look like they are walking at a semi high rate of speed when there is nothing there. It's not a multi-level map problem (no mobs above or below) as I see it when when I am in a 1 level area on the map.
Again this is normal. it's caused by lag, same as the ghosting that takes place ingame...

Finally, the most helpful tip I could give you for future Questions or Problems...
USE THE SEARCH (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) FUNCTION!

AlphaBeta
03-30-2002, 11:52 PM

I suspect this is probably caused by Your "solution" to problem #2... Is SEQ finding your character correctly? Are you running more than one EQ session?

No this happens all the time, I can start Seq, then start EQ and (even if everythng in my list of other problems is woking as it should) it still happens. It finds my Characters just fine and I am just running one session.

Cryonic
03-30-2002, 11:53 PM
And don't cross post, put your question in one forum and one forum only!!!

AlphaBeta
03-31-2002, 02:52 PM
You know there is no reason to be rude here. :confused: I'm not programer, nor do I know all that much about unix, etc, etc.. I wasn't sure where to post is all and as far as searching goes I wasn't real sure what I was looking for. I was just looking for some friendley advice/answers. I am sorry I hoged you bandwidth and eye sight with my littel less than 1k post. Now take a deep breath and back away from the Coffee and sugar doughnuts. :p

S_B_R
03-31-2002, 03:30 PM
When I ask "Is SEQ finding your character correctly" I mean is it getting all your information right in the spawn list? Like Level, HP's, and etc. If it is then could you post what level your character is that is having this problem, and what level are the mobs that are showing Light Blue in SEQ that are actually Green in EQ...

AlphaBeta
04-01-2002, 03:17 AM
Yes all of my information comes in from all my character's just fine and I am able to see level, HP etc. and the information on my char's is dead on right.. It dosen't seem to matter what race/class/level they are (save level 1-3 where I think everything is blue and up as it should be). I start seeing the /con off at around lvl 5th or 6th of my any/all character's and see the same with mid and high level characters as well. I start to notice /con's being wrong once I get a character past 5th or 6th level the seq cons are off by a level or 2 and mid 50 lvl Char's are off maybe 3-6 levels I think. Haven't really done any tests however to say this for a fact for sure but if you think it would help I could get real data.

By the way I wanted to ask on the Unknown mobs thing.. How long or whats the max time would you say to crack the encryption? I have sat in zones sometimes for hoursr and still have a screen of unknows or nothing /shrug. Other times its cracked before I finish zoning. Zoneing in and out fix's this about 95% of the time. In other words if it's not cracked before I zone in or with I would say a min. of zoneing that it's just not going to. Not being a programer myself to know how the program does what it does, but maybe some code could be added to set a timer/loop or a button to force to crack it again?

As far as the Exp window goes, couldn't something be put into Seq code to ignore any exp changes from the time you start to zone untill your FOV pops from 0,0 to your real location with in the zone? or maybe a few seconds after the FOV jumps from 0,0 to your real location? I have no idea whats happing with in the program (timing wise.. Where does this happen with in Seq) to know if this would work, but hey sounds like a good idea to me.

fee
04-01-2002, 05:09 AM
well somethings you just gotta live with...

The exp window is gimped pretty badly and in need of a full re-write. So untill this happens be happy with what you got.

As for the con colors being off... Verant likes to update the game mechanics and neglects to mention this to us showeq users/developers. How about doing us all a favor and documenting the level of the mob, your level and what it cons to you. Get this information and I promise it will get used to fix showeq.

Thanks, have a nice day.
fee

Virusmaster
04-01-2002, 07:11 AM
I and all my buddies have had the same issue with the /con colors being off. Seems to be off by one level on the low end. It happens with my level 50 and my level 6 characters. The low level character has the most difficulty with it, probably because I actually check the exact level of mobs with my level 50 instead of just looking for dark blues. Has been this way for a while, so I just got used to it, but it would be cool as hell if it was accurately reported :)

Thanks for all the hard work and excellent response to major issues guys. YOU ROCK!!

Mr Guy
04-01-2002, 08:50 AM
This is definitely longstanding. Fee, do you want like spawn captures, or will:

ME 32 NPC 25 Reported blue, is lightblue to client

work?

*note, not actual example but close!

fee
04-01-2002, 09:48 AM
mr guy,

exactly!

your level, mob lvl, con color of mob,

example
me lvl 11, mob lvl 8, con blue
me lvl 11, mob lvl 6, con lite blue

I am starting a thread on the dev board. please post all finding there.

fee

S_B_R
04-01-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by AlphaBeta
By the way I wanted to ask on the Unknown mobs thing.. How long or whats the max time would you say to crack the encryption? I have sat in zones sometimes for hoursr and still have a screen of unknows or nothing /shrug. Other times its cracked before I finish zoning. Zoneing in and out fix's this about 95% of the time. In other words if it's not cracked before I zone in or with I would say a min. of zoneing that it's just not going to. Not being a programer myself to know how the program does what it does, but maybe some code could be added to set a timer/loop or a button to force to crack it again?

Did you even Bother to read all of what I posted????

Originally posted by S_B_R
It does take some time to crack the encryption when you zone. to fix this STOP zoning over and over again. By doing that you are effectively getting SEQ farther and farther behind. Do a search on unknown, and/or decode to get more info...
Use the SEARCH FUNTION!!! (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=)

AlphaBeta
04-01-2002, 05:12 PM
Did you even Bother to read all of what I posted????

Yep sure did.. and read them too.. ;) This is why I ask again and im not trying to be a pest or anything. Lets say I have a level 4 cleric in Gfay camped atm. I boot up my Seq system login and start Seq. I then load up EQ and login as the cleric. Now as we all know Gfay is a busy place and stuff is getting getting killed left and right in the zone and respawning just as fast. I see all my char data just fine, I can see my bank has decoded on he status bar on the bottom and I can and have sat in the same zone (gfay in this example) for hours with out a decode and just find it odd (perhaps another issue) is all. So I won't ask the question again and leave it alone. :rolleyes:

AlphaBeta
04-01-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by fee
well somethings you just gotta live with...

Oh I am very happy Fee not trying to rock the boat. I think this program is great. As I said im not a programer or anything just try to think of things out of the box and try to help in my own pitiful way. ;)

Thanks, have a nice day.
fee

Well at least fee knows how to treat a lady. Thanks and you too hun. :D

S_B_R
04-02-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by AlphaBeta

Yep sure did.. and read them too.. ;) This is why I ask again and im not trying to be a pest or anything. Lets say I have a level 4 cleric in Gfay camped atm. I boot up my Seq system login and start Seq. I then load up EQ and login as the cleric. Now as we all know Gfay is a busy place and stuff is getting getting killed left and right in the zone and respawning just as fast. I see all my char data just fine, I can see my bank has decoded on he status bar on the bottom and I can and have sat in the same zone (gfay in this example) for hours with out a decode and just find it odd (perhaps another issue) is all. So I won't ask the question again and leave it alone. :rolleyes:

It sounds like you are missing the some of the zone packets. Try starting SEQ before you even launch EQ on your windows box. Another thing depending on what kind of horse power you have on your SEQ machine, you might need to turn down the datarate on you EQ client. there is a file in your everquest directory called datarate.txt. In there is a number from 1 to 9 I believe the default is 5. Try adjusting that down to see if you get any better performance from SEQ.

One other thing, try running the "top" command on your Linux box while you are running SEQ, to see if any process is taking up an inordinate amount of CPU.

AlphaBeta
04-02-2002, 09:16 AM
Hmmm yes could be my data rate as I think I have it cranked up all the way (cable modem). I will turn this down and see what happens.