PDA

View Full Version : Any Performance Advantage to Upgrade Red Hat from 7.1 to 7.2?

mudtoe
04-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Hi folks:

I was wondering if there was any performance advantage from upgrading Red Hat 7.1 to 7.2? The reason I ask is that I'm having problems with SEQ (from the Feb 22 release onward) where it's not accurately keeping track of the remaining time on spells.

I play a necro and have been using the spell timer to time my darkness spells. Prior to the Feb 22nd release this worked fine, but after that it seems like it randomly doesn't decrement the timer on some spells for several EQ ticks, and occasionally even resets the counter to max duration even though I didn't recast it.

I'm not absolutely certain it's a performance thing, but I'm running it on an old IBM Thinkpad 760XD. I've upgraded it to 84mb of memory, but it still has only a pentium 166 MMX processor in it. As nobody else is reporting this problem I suspect it could be inadequate hardware.

So far I've tried setting my fps down to 4, I shut down everything else I can think of, including that graphical memory monitor on the task bar (I'm using Gnome), and I've played with the fastmachine setting in SEQ. If I run TOP to look at my CPU utilization, it usually hovers between 70 and 100 percent (but doesn't stay pegged at 100 for long), and it's roughly divided 3 to 2, Gnome versus SEQ usage.

I read the thread about graphical shell usage, and I'm not sure I have that problem, as the mouse still works, and Gnome isn't taking up the machine 10 to 1 like some of the people posting in the thread indicated.

Anyway, it seems my choices are to upgrade to Red Hat 7.2, get a faster machine, or perhaps try a different shell (would need help on how to do that).

Suggestions or comments welcome.

Thanks,

mudtoe

fryfrog
04-01-2002, 02:20 PM
1.) try a window manager like enlightenment or black box. it may not be as pretty or look like windows, but it IS much faster.

2.) set your fps to 1. this is what i run it at, and you will probably not notice the diff anyway.

i have a dual celeron 550 w/ 256mb of ram, and i run kde on it and like it. i also have a wimpy 233 laptop with 96mb of ram which runs enlightenment instead of kde... and it does just fine w/ seq.

CodE-E
04-01-2002, 03:46 PM
I doubt RH7.2 will give SEQ and performance increase over RH7.1

I use 7.2 and I still have performance issues with SEQ. I haven't tried using a different windows manager or recompiling QT with all those fancy options, but I guess I'll do that some time. :)