PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ needs gcc g++ 3.0 or greater error mdk 8.2

redpoint13
04-01-2002, 04:02 PM
when i try to compile showeq it gives me an error that gcc and g++ need to be 3.0 or great... happen to know how i can fix this? im using mdk 8.2 and the GCC and g++ when i hit TAB are 2.96

CodE-E
04-01-2002, 04:07 PM
http://www.redhat.com/apps/download/advanced_search.html

Search for the gcc3 and g++3 RPMs, download them and install them.

Check the help sections on the www.redhat.com if you do not know how to install RPMs. I'd tell ya myself, but I'm not totally sure - I installed them when I set up RedHat.

S_B_R
04-01-2002, 04:11 PM
S E A R C H ! ! ! (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=)

bioseq
04-01-2002, 06:29 PM
Actually, this was a huge pain...

I'm not sure the search would help that much :P

Here's the problem, Mandrake installs GCC2.96 and GCC3 independently, but, there is no gcc3 link made... there is a gcc-3.0.3, but if you say cc=gcc3, it wont work.

make a link in your /usr/bin for gcc-3.0.3 as gcc3 and do the same for g++ (look for the ln format, use -s, but I always forget the order).

Now that this is fixed, you need to go into the qt directory and under /usr/local/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++ and the file qmake.conf

In that file, change all g++ to g++3 and all gcc to gcc3

This should work assuming you've done the other stuff in the posts (which you can find by SEARCHING :))

Good luck, It now works for me, but it was a pain... given I got stuck in RPM hell because my disk2 was bad...

Art

redpoint13
04-01-2002, 07:06 PM
well this is nice and confusing but ill try and figure it out. the computer im running linux on doesnt have a working CD drive at the moment (well it wont detect it even though its there, not sure why).

Anyway thanks for the help.

fryfrog
04-01-2002, 07:21 PM
mandrake and redhat are slightly different in their gcc naming scheme. this does not mean you have to create any silly links or anything like that... just export your environment before compiling...

so, for qt-2.3.2 comping with gcc-3.0.2 you need to edit the file /qt-2.3.2/configs/linux-g++-shared. change all references to "gcc" -> "gcc-3.0.2" and all "g++" -> "g++-3.0.2". then run your ./configure -thread && make as normal. you should see messages during compile that start with "gcc-3.0.2" or "g++-3.0.2" a lot. if ALL you EVER see is "gcc" or "g++" it means it isn't compiling with the right compiler...

as for showeq, just do:

export QTDIR=/path/to/qt-2.3.2; export CC=gcc-3.0.2; export CXX=gcc-3.0.2

and you will be set.

**please note, when i say "gcc-3.0.2" or "g++-3.0.2" it assumes this is CORRECT for mdk 8.2. if it really is "gcc-3.0.3" or something else, PLEASE change it! tab completion should work to figure this out.

bioseq
04-01-2002, 07:52 PM
I stand corrected... setting up the variables would have worked too :) never thought of that... doh

I like mandrake, but the fact that it isnt 100% redhat gets in the way sometimes... Anyone remember the original *almost* 100% pc-compatibles that came out at first?

In any case, it works beautifully now...

Tracking Shammies rule!

redpoint13
04-01-2002, 08:09 PM
gah im retarded, i think i downloaded the right deal but i still cant figure this shit out, anyway ill keep reading.

redpoint13
04-01-2002, 08:29 PM
ok so i downloaded this file: gcc-3.0.1.tar.bz2 and i extracted it, so there is a file with gcc-3.0.1 with a bunch of junk in it.

i have gcc and g++ 2.96 right now .

anyway, im reading this tutotial thing and its telling me to configure it and bla it doesnt make any sense so i go to next step. And i think its trying to tell me to compile it. And i tried to do that with qt-2.3.2. anyway i got an error along the lines when i was doing the ./configure

*** No rule to make target `version.c', needed by `config.status'. Stop.

anyway i could be way off the mark and since im thoroughly confused as it is i probably am.

thanks for your help if you can help me!!

fryfrog
04-01-2002, 08:59 PM
okay, if you are using mandrake 8.2 then you JUST need to get the gcc3 rpms. mandrake 8.2 and redhat 7.2 come with gcc3 rpms, you just need to install them.

redpoint13
04-01-2002, 09:20 PM
any chance you could tell me how i go about doing that?

redpoint13
04-03-2002, 02:19 AM
do i need to install the new GCC off the cd? or what?

fryfrog
04-03-2002, 02:45 AM
yeah, you just need to install the gcc3 rpms from the original cds. normally, during install i make sure that i choose the gcc3 as well as the normal gcc rpms during install so i don't have to go back and find them.

you can use mdk's cute little software manager if you can figure out where it is and where it works (i don't remember off the top of my head)

or you can just mount the cds and go find all the right rpm files (there are probably about 6, and i don't know exactly what they are called).