PDA

View Full Version : I admit I'm new to this program but read on this will be relatively painless...

Smog
04-01-2002, 05:46 PM
I've got a few fairly simple questions that I hope someone can answer. It's important to keep in mind while reading this that I am by no means a computer novice. My first computer was a commodore Vic20 the C64 then apple II and on and on. I even had an amiga at one point (that was sweet) I do tech support for cable modems now. I have extensive experience with all versions of windows and MacOs. I have 3 computers at home. WinXP, Linux Mandrake and HPUX(its in the closet because it gave me a headache.) I DO NOT know Linux well. I've been looking for something to get me interested in it but until SEQ there was really any motivation for me to. So, now on to my questions.

#1. I'd like to know if you would recommend any novice guides to Linux that don't assume your a moron. I know what a "File" is etc... I just need to learn the commands and the logic behind it. And, yes, I have searched on the web and found guides but I'm looking for recommendations from experienced users.

#2. Am I correct in thinking that there are many more users and developers working on SEQ than SIN? Sin seems MUCH easier to install but I don't want to be on the wrong bandwagon... lol

#3. Why hasn't anyone compiled a list of working Hubs and put it on the website? I had to spend 2 hours searching through these forums to figure out what I needed. lol

#4. Regarding the previous question, most average users aren't going to have the 7 computer setups and dozens of nics etc... that a lot of you guys have. Most will have a simple set up like mine, 2 box's going into a Linksys 4port switch/router on a cable modem. Is there a way to setup the Router to broadcast or duplicate the ports? There are a ton of options in the control menu for my router that do all kinds of things that I don't understand.

#3. Again regarding question #3, could someone (obviously not my noob ass) Write a simple "Port forwarding" program that takes the data and sends it to the linux client? I know that "Port forwarding" is the wrong term but its the best I could think of.

#4. I figure that it will take the GMs at least a few months to figure out I'm using this and ban me. Just in time for shadowsbane! Will there be a version available for shadowsbane by then? (This was a joke.)

BlueAdept
04-01-2002, 06:06 PM
I would suggest going and buying a book on linux.
If you want help online for linux, try www.linuxdoc.org they have a good selection of documentation and it is searchable.

Since you mentioned about the hubs....well you can start a list if you like. There are problably only several hundred brands and a couple thousand models.

If you can get a list together, Ill put it up on my site. www.seqstuff.cjb.net just go there and email me with the list.

SEQ was the original. Sins is a split off. It is slowly being merged back into SEQ. Some people like Sins better than SEQ and visa versa. It mainly depends on what you are looking for it to do.

"Write a simple "Port forwarding" program that takes the data and sends it to the linux client?"

Do you mean udpecho? If so you can find it at www.freewebz.com/winseq

Since SEQ/Sins are only glorified packet sniffers, the only way that you would probably be banned is if 1. You openly mention SEQ/Sins in EQ. 2. Make beelines for all the rares that pop.

dbrot
04-01-2002, 06:08 PM
www.Linuxnewbie.org
www.Linuxdoc.org

All "hubs" should work by broadcasting packets to all ports on the hub. Switches and routers do not broadcast the packets but "route" the packets to the designated IP or MAC address, thus reducing broadcast traffic. And no you can't configure a linksys router to broadcast unless you are into programming and can program you own firmware upgrades or you have a cicso router and know what you are doing. Just buy a cheapo 5 port hub from compusa for $15 and hook all you computers into it. Make sure that all you NICs are running at the same speed. A 10MB NIC will not hear a 100MB nic.

As far as a GM finding out you are running it. That would be theorically impossible because SEQ is suppose to be passively listening to the packets that go by and not send any packets out.

Dedpoet
04-02-2002, 09:52 AM
I'd like to know if you would recommend any novice guides to Linux that don't assume your a moron.

Smog, one of the best non-moron books out there on Linux is called "Linux in a Nutshell". It is published by O'Reilly and you can get it from any of the usual websites or any good bookstore. ISBN number is 1565925858.

I consider myself fairly good with Linux and still keep this book around for reference. It's a fairly small book targeted at people who have a good background and it should work well for you. It covers the basics very well and gets into some advanced topics as well. If you want to get crazy, pick up "Linux Unleashed" by Sam's publishing - it's one of those big 1200 page $60 red and gold books. It's also a great book, but intimidating for a Linux newbie.

I hope that helps you out.

-Dedpoet

Smog
04-02-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys! You've been extreamly helpfull. and not a single flame! I'll be looking into both the afore mentioned website and the book. I think I'll leave Linux unleashed alone. I've seen it before and... well... you know.

I finally got all of my Linux Networking issues worked out (won't bother you with details) and one of my friends had an old 10baseT hub in his closet so I'm set. The only major problem I have now is how horribly slow my Linux box is. I need more memory but it takes simms and they are fairly expensive from local stores. Online, the shipping will be more than the chips! lol

Regarding the "Getting caught" issue. I'm using this program for 1 item that I'm sick of camping. I've been all over the dumb zone for months! So, I wont be farming equipment and stuff. I'm not an equipment freek. Anyway, I already have my excuse ready... "My friend just called me and told me that he saw it pop."

AlphaBeta
04-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Guess your just lucky.. I seem to get flamed 90% of all the messages I write :D

Personally I find it to be rude and immature behavior and just want to say ne nr ne nr ne nr :p to those people you know who you are... ;) /shrug Pffft boys.. Go figure ROFL

Fee and Mr. Guy are nice to me I just want to add, and are very helpful. Thank you guys.

S_B_R
04-02-2002, 11:14 PM
NeeNer NeeNer NeeNer (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=)

:rolleyes: