PDA

View Full Version : SEQ Works Great But Can't Surf with Netscape

Hobo
04-03-2002, 10:27 AM
I would normally just use my SEQ box to download any required files I need, such as the maps noted below. However, ever since I reconfigured my SEQ box to go from using my old dial-up connection to now using a DSL connection, I can't surf the net using Netscape. It just hangs there and eventually times out, as though it were looking for the dial-up connection and not the DSL connection. I've searched through all the Netscape options and such but I can't find an option to force it to use the DSL connection through my hub and then through my router. Here is my setup FWIW:

<Win98 machine with EQ

DSL <-- router <----- hub <-----

<SEQ box

Edit - Grrr...seems my little *graphic* above didn't work. Basically the Win98 box and SEQ box both plug into the hub.

SEQ is set up to sniff packets on 192.168.1.102 (My Win98 box). Would this somehow effect what Netscape is doing?

As long as I'm asking questions I thought I'd ask this one as well. After searching through a few threads I found a zipped file on this site http://www.k-r-g.com/ of all the Mapfiend maps. I downloaded it from here at work (Win2k) and I'm going to burn it on to a CD. So I have a couple questions on this.

I have a limited knowledge of Linux (RH) so although I can gunzip and tar files, I have no idea how to uncompress a simple *.zip file? I'm sure there must be a command that I'm not aware of. Also, how do I mount the CD-Drive so I can copy the map.zip file to my harddrive to unzip it?

Thanks!

Hobo

Cryonic
04-03-2002, 11:16 AM
DNS:

/etc/resolv.conf

high_jeeves
04-03-2002, 11:29 AM
Uhhh... hate to give you the obvious but did you try "unzip"?

To mount a drive, take a look at the (again, sorry to be obvious) "mount" command. (Type "man mount" to get info on it).

You should be able to simply type "mount /mnt/cdrom" or "mount cdrom" on most redhat like systems.

--Jeeves

Hobo
04-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Thanks Jeeves. I'm not at all offended by having the obvious pointed out to me. I never even thought there was an unzip command. (Doh!) Somehow I had it in my head that unzip was a Windows only type of thing since Linux always seemed to use gz and tar.

Cryonic I have no idea what your response means but it intrigues me so I'll spend a little time trying to figure it out. My initial thought is that I need to resolve something to do with my DNS server and I will find the info in the file you listed. Time will tell if I'm on the right track.

Thanks for the education guys!

Hobo

high_jeeves
04-03-2002, 05:14 PM
It could also be your routing table... (man route to get more info)

--Jeeves

Hobo
04-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Well Cryonic I tried messing around a bit. I am assuming your reply is in reference to my in ability to surf the net. Also from the info you gave me I'm guessing that is the Nameserver info in that file. I tried changing it to the DNS server ip of my ISP but still no luck. I'm really not sure what I need to change, or more importantly, why. I figure if I understand why I need to change something then I'll actually learn something more than if I just do a change because someone said to.

Can you shed a little more light on me?

Thanks!

Hobo

fryfrog
04-03-2002, 10:24 PM
the /etc/resolv.conf contains your name server... should be in the following format (but obviosly not identical):

[root@mystique root]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 10.0.0.1
search xmen

Hobo
04-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Hmm...all mine says is:

Namserver
4.x.x.x

That's it, nothing else.

high_jeeves
04-04-2002, 11:07 AM
To check if it is a DNS vs. routing problem do the following:

ping a website on your windows box:

ie "ping seq.sourceforge.net"

This will show you the ipaddress: "216.136.171.201"

Try going to this on your linux box: "http://216.136.171.201"

If this site comes up, it is a DNS problem.

If this site does not come up, it is a routing (or some other) problem.

--Jeeves

Rootuser
04-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Hmm...all mine says is:

Namserver
4.x.x.x

Seems to me your network settings may be wrong all together. Go through them with Linuxconf (graphical or text) and make sure they are set correctly. Even if you fix the resolver issue, you may run into gateway issues and other things if nothing has been properly setup.

Also, ditch Netscape and install something else, like Konquerer or something, I really despise Netscape, although, in this case it almost definately doesn't sound like a Netscape problem.

Rootuser

Hobo
04-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Well it seems it is indeed a routing problem. After opening Netscape and trying to go to http://216.136.171.201 I get an eror that states:

"A network error occurred: Unable to connect to server (TCP Error: No route to host) The server may be down or unreachable"

So my next troubleshooting should probably be with the routing tab under Network Configuration in Gnome. Anything specific I should do?

Also, bear in mind that SEQ is working fine, so the machine is sniffing the Win98 box correctly via the hub. Just can't surf while playing EQ. (

Thanks!

Hobo
04-04-2002, 09:19 PM
Sheesh, sometimes the answer is so simply it stares you in the face until it finally slaps you. Such was the case just now. Went to recheck my network settings and noticed it had no default gateway listed. Doh. Set it to my router IP and all works fine. Sorry for the trouble but thanks very much for your patience!

Hobo

fryfrog
04-04-2002, 09:46 PM
good job, glad it works :)

its amazing how many "problems" are due to the simplest things :)