PDA

View Full Version : GCC 3.0.3 install for RH7.2

lildr00d
04-04-2002, 01:18 AM
Anyone have an updated document on how to install SEQ with 3.0.3 gcc and RedHat 7.2? I have tried searching other posts here but I keep finding others seaching for the same info. Or if I am blind as a bat just flame me and point me to the post :p

Thanks

Cryonic
04-04-2002, 01:23 AM
Geez!!! There is a reason for the search feature and, oh wait, two posts down someone asked this same damn question.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=400

nothing changes just because you have gcc 3.0.4 on RH7.2 instead of 3.0.1.

lildr00d
04-04-2002, 11:12 AM
So nothing changes eh?

So I can leave the export QTDIR=/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2 ?
That amazes me I figured I'd at least have to change that.

And YES I did read that whole section you linked to before I posted. Only thing I saw was a vague discussion about Mandrake 8.2. Well while that might be well and good for people that know the difference between Mandrake 8.2 and RedHat7.2 its no good for the rest of us. Mabey Im too use to Microcrap - A different version of windows always has different things about it.

So mabey instead of sending a generic look here post mabey you could I dont know actually help seeing how this is the Help Desk fourm and point me exactly where I need to go for my version of Linux.

fgay trader
04-04-2002, 11:50 AM
lildr00d,

The devs and gurus on these boards already gave us (Linux newbs) tons of usefull links, FAQ's, How-To's, walk-throughs and guides. I for one think that they sometimes give TOO MUCH for people who have no idea how to use Linux.

Devs are worried that the Winblows version of ShowEQ would be too easy to set up and that would bring the end to SEQ... At the same time, using their (very informative and easy-to-follow) How-To Installation guides it took me, a (almost) complete Linux newbie, something under 3 hours to get RH7.2 and SEQ4 up and running (and sniffing too!) That is just as much of a Bad Thing (tm) as having one packaged installation file that any Joe Shmoe can download and run.

After that every other person posts their sad stories on how this or that is not installing or compiling or sniffing expecting tech support on a commercial level. They tried answering, but new people kept asking same questions with different permutations instead of a) searching previous posts or b) picking up a book and learning how to solve their problems on their own. I can see how that would be annoying and frustrating for the developpers, so afret a while they started answering with short "UTFS" ("Use The F-in Search") replies that people take as personal flames.

And here you are, come barging in demanding they tell you exactly what you must know and do it now! And then you get upset that they ask you to do some research on your own and maybe even ... *gasp* ... learn something about Linux, programming and compilers on your way. You should not be so offended by their "flames" because they're not flaming you personally, their anger is aimed towards all those people who got spoiled by "(L)user-friendliness" of Windoze and are used to everything being served to them on a clean plate.

You should take what's already given to you and try to do your best with it on your own, because after a while Devs will simply start ignoring people who post things like that... Which would not necessairily be a Bad Thing ;)

S_B_R
04-04-2002, 12:44 PM
/cheer fgay trader
I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

lildr00d
04-04-2002, 11:12 PM
I allready have SEQ running and working fine. And I do know how to use linux. I was just asking what changes I needed to make to run the new version of GCC. Nothing too "Secretive" I would have thought since the available documents allready describe the process for the earlier versions of GCC. I for one dont just run out and load the new OS's or modules untill I have the information I need to sucessfully use it. However this appears to be something that some are unwilling to help with. Or perhaps I was asking a question above their abilities for it seemed like a fairly straight forward question and an easy one to answer. Or perhaps they get off on posting replys to people that know less then they do and use the standard generic answer "Use the search function" (Which I did).

I will direct my simple question to someone who is actually helpfull in the future.

S_B_R
04-04-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by lildr00d
I would have thought since the available documents allready describe the process for the earlier versions of GCC.
Well it should be a trivial matter to extrapolate what the process should be for a newer version of gcc then shouldn't it?

Some people can be told that the sum of one and one is two but the sum of one and two will elude them. It's all about applying what you have learned.

fryfrog
04-04-2002, 11:54 PM
i think for mdk-8.2 it should now be "gcc-3.0.3" instead of "gcc-3.0.1" and "g++-3.0.3".

the tab key in linux cmd prompt is very nice, it auto completes a command or filename... and if there are more than one option, it lists them...

so, goto a prompt and type "gcc<tabkey>" (maybe hit the tab key twice) and see what it lists. probably will list "gcc, gcc-3.97 and gcc-3.0.3" (perhaps not with these exact values, but you get the idea).