PDA

View Full Version : Can't compile Qt-2.3.2 g++-3.0.1: Command not found

Obsidian
04-04-2002, 03:12 PM
Before I get into it, just remember that I've been using Linux for about 3 days so don't laugh... lol

I can't compile Qt-2.3.2

I get the error "g++-3.0.1: Command not found"
every time I try to "make"

I've fiddled around with the g++ and tried g++3 and g++-3.0.4 etc... No luck. It happens every time (but the error changes to reflect the chage I made eg. g++3: Command not found"

I've been fiddleing with this for 3 days! :pulls his hair out.

I baught Mandrake 8.2 (the $30 version)
Installed it in expert mode. I tried to install all the packages listed in the FAQ but at least half aren't in there. I put the list in "Flat mode" and spent quite a while making sure. I then tried to find and download all of them. I got most but couldn't install a few do to dependancy issues. I did searches but could not fin the dependent packages.

db3-utils is dependent on libdb-3.3.so, libtcl.so.0, and libgcc_s.so.1

libdbtcl3.2 needs libc.so.6.1

I went to several RPM search sites and could not find them.

I then saw the other FAQ in here that suggests that you install everything under "Development" and "WorkStation"
So I used the Software manager and added all the Packages under those headings. Then I ran the update and updated the suggested packages. Not all of them were in the list so I'm assuming that they were already updated.

I DO have GCC isntalled. I've seen several other posts from people that have had this problem, but some package is missing and they install it, then Viola! But I've got all the packages installed that I've seen suggested.

Any help would be greatly appretiated. and remember, I'm new to linux so no "Techy Talk"

Thanks

Cryonic
04-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Read the install how-to:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=400

You are missing something, hence the "command not found" error.

Obsidian
04-04-2002, 04:50 PM
RPMs suck

Cryonic
04-04-2002, 05:01 PM
Simple solution, don't use RH or Mandrake or Suse as your distro then. Use debian, sorceror or some other distro.

Obsidian
04-04-2002, 05:03 PM
Remember I'm a noob?

Why would Debian correct the problem?

Cryonic
04-04-2002, 05:42 PM
I didn't say it would. You said:

RPMs suck

So I was just pointing out there are distributions that don't use RPMs.

Obsidian
04-04-2002, 05:45 PM
So now I'm stuck in this endless RPM loop again.

In order to install one RPM I need another one, but to install that one I need a third but the third on conflicts with a previous one thats needed by even another!

Obsidian
04-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Ok, if any other noobs (like myself) stumble upon this thread and have simmilar issues...

Screw the package manager programs!
I went to the terminal and used the command "rpm" to install them.

I still had problems but if you get conflict errors use the command like this: rpm -i -F gcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk.i586.rpm

It will the "refresh" the rpm that its conflicting with. Basically relacing it with the new one (I think)

Cryonic
04-04-2002, 06:14 PM
READ THE MAN PAGE FOR RPM:

rpm -i <-- install
rpm -U <-- upgrade
rpm -F <-- install only if previous version is present

rpm -i -F means FORCE the package on. This is NOT a good thing to do.

Obsidian
04-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Gah! That's not what the --help said!!
well, they all installed... hmmm
Now what do I do?

Obsidian
04-04-2002, 06:22 PM
ok, well I just checked with that rpm -qa | grep thingy and they aren't there! Oh.... I got a headache

Obsidian
04-04-2002, 07:26 PM
OH YEA! It's compiling now!!! WOOOTTTTT!!!!

and I've only been using linux for 2 days... ha!

Thanks for the help man. Couldn't have done it without ya

This is gonna take a long time isn't it? (P200mhz mmx)

fryfrog
04-04-2002, 09:51 PM
actually -F is not force, it means "freshen" which means that IF that rpm is actually installed, it will be updated with this rpm.
-i means install the rpm even if it wasn't already there
-U means update OR install the rpm (even if it isn't there)

--force and --nodeps will force the install or force the removal of (respectivly).

Obsidian
04-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Well, it compiled but when I got to the ./configure part of showeq I ran into version problems again so I'm stuck back in the same loop. I've probobly spent a total of 30hours over the past 2 days just updating RPMs. This is just silly!

high_jeeves
04-05-2002, 10:44 AM
There are a few problems I see here:

1) You really need to LEARN linux before you try to do this. You are trying to follow a RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.1 install guide on Mandrake 8.2... This would work fine if you understood what you were doing instead of just typing in commands exactly how they are printed.

You just installed gcc3.0.1 on a system which already has gcc3.0.4 installed on it... This is a BAD THING (tm). It would have been much easier to just change everywhere in the install guide from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4, and it would have worked just peachy. I'm sure the reason most of the RPMS in the guide arent on your CD's is because you are ignoring the version numbers and looking for the EXACT rpm... The problem here is that you have a DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE DISTRIBUTION! If you are going to RPM find and installing old versions over your newer versions, you are going to end up in a system that doesnt do anything right!

Learn how linux works, and what packages do, then you will have a much easier (and safer) time installing ShowEQ...

--Jeeves

Obsidian
04-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Actually, that's exactly what I am doing... Learning Linux. No worrys. I baught this computer at a an auction for my local sherifs department for $40 (P200mmx including the monitor!) I use it as my "Crash test computer." I've already killed linux 3 times this week and reformated the drive... lol

I'm at work now so I can't verify it, but I think that I typo'd the version number. I think that it's actually 8.1 The problem is, the FAQ I was reading is outdated. It's for an older version of ShowEQ.

To tell you the truth, I have all the RPMs I need but I can't install them do to shared dependancys (rpma requires rmpb and rpmb requires rpma) and conflicts with older versions. I did some research while I was bored and I think that I have my answer (I've said that before) I think the command rpm -U *.rpm will work. If it doesn't, I'll try rpm -F *.rpm . In any event, the law of averages says that I have to stumble into the answer eventually. I may have 1gig of rpms installed by then.... lol

high_jeeves
04-05-2002, 05:33 PM
There are excellent install guides on this site for RedHat 7.2 and Mandrake 8.1.. Both of these should work with minimal "extra" RPMS.. if you are using a different version, you should still have extremely minimal RPM changes... certainly none on the level you are describing... Search through the forums for both install guides, perhaps they will help (they are both for v4 of ShowEQ, the current version)

--Jeeves

Obsidian
04-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Thanks! I've learned more about Linux in the past week than you can possibly imagine. I've already decided that the command promt is WAY better than being inside Xwindows.. lol
I personally love the Ascii based text editor (pico) It took me back to the old days of Dos 5.0 and "Edit". I had a 5 page autoexec to make the nifty boot prompts so I could run Ultima7. hehe

BTW ---- You guys have been a great help.

S_B_R
04-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Obsidian
Thanks! I've learned more about Linux in the past week than you can possibly imagine. I've already decided that the command promt is WAY better than being inside Xwindows.. lol
I personally love the Ascii based text editor (pico) It took me back to the old days of Dos 5.0 and "Edit". I had a 5 page autoexec to make the nifty boot prompts so I could run Ultima7. hehe

BTW ---- You guys have been a great help.

ARGH!!! Pico :mad:

vi > ALL

hehe, I know, no helpful information there but I wanted to vent. ;)
Good Luck, Do what High_Jeeves said and find (http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=) some of the great HOWTO's in this forum and you shouldn't have any problems...